Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The entire current contents of my "for sale" locker, and absolutely nothing else (almost all of these are fully/near-fully repaired as is sensible; I'm not going to repair armor past value 12,000 in most cases, for example):

6394afe6b1.png
8e5214fb37.png
11479a8f95.png

Not pictured: 30+ batches of Super Steel :troll:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Why do you repair shit that you want to sell?

The value of looted weapons, armor, and equipment can in most cases be increased far more than the value of an advanced repair kit. Aside from raising the value of the item, merchants only purchase a limited quantity of items, so it makes sense to increase each individual item's resale value. Furthermore, you can also carry significantly fewer items with you to be sold on a "merchant run" while still cleaning out as much of each merchant's Charons as you possibly can.

There's so much crap to recycle and turn into repair kits that you'll never run out of them, even if you use them constantly and sell them at every opportunity.

You crafted that riot gear with burrower shield. No way that stuff was in a corpse.

Well, yeah. Components, such as burrower carapaces, drop as loot too. Oftentimes I craft them into things to sell, occasionally I sell the components individually, but they're always worth less individually.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
So it is worth it to even break down items, make advanced repair-kits, repair other items and sell those items rather than selling two items individually?
Making Mountains of Money: A Merry Merchant's Mini-Manual

d6d541a4c7.png

For the merry merchant, Mechanics and Tailoring are nigh-indispensable. Not only do they offer a multitude of crafting possibilities and allow you to cheaply repair your equipment, but they also enable you to rake in loads of Stygian coins, all while greatly reducing the burden of loot the average merry merchant is constantly hauling around while exploring the Underrail.

Any merchant worth his salt will have quickly noticed that loot is sometimes valuable, and sometimes not so valuable. He will also have noticed that valuable loot is often at only half durability or even lower. Furthermore, weapons and armor tend to be heavy. It therefore stands to reason that cheap loot should be recycled and turned into lightweight repair kits that can in turn be used to repair expensive loot. Note that it is occasionally more efficient to create two regular repair kits rather than one advanced repair kit in order to touch up two expensive items that are missing only 100-200 durability.

Recycling cheap gear is particularly important in light of the fact that NPC merchants will only purchase a limited quantity of items every couple of hours. If an item is on the verge of being somewhat valuable, but still fairly cheap all things considered, go ahead and break it down anyway.

The repair kits themselves can also be sold to NPC merchants, and as soon as you have a respectable stockpile you should sell as many advanced repair kits as you can, as often as you are able.

Loot isn't the only source of recyclables! Check the cost:durability ratio of non-electronic knives, gloves, and balaclavas being sold by NPC merchants. You'll soon learn which are good deals. Buy these, recycle them, and turn them into even more repair kits.

It hardly needs to be said, but turning cheap leather, cloth, and metals you find into leather armor, balaclavas, and combat gloves in the field and then recycling them into kits is both efficient and profitable. You can turn a dozen rathounds into half a dozen repair kits! Magic!

Finally, stash all of your shit in your quarters at SGS to begin with, categorized in different containers if you like; and feel free to make use of the Merry Merchant's Meandering Trade Route (no doubt there are a couple more significant trade hubs now, but I'm still in the first half of the game):

SGS --(boat)--> Junkyard --(boat)--> Core City --(metro)--> Foundry --(metro)--> Rail Crossing --(metro)--> SGS

You may be wondering, "Why didn't you mention the Mercantile skill?". Well, the Mercantile skill will simply turn a small mountain into an even larger mountain, faster and more conveniently.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I did notice two things when buying components to sell them as assembled items for a profit:

- Electronics is a bad investment. The components are expensive as fuck and the assembled item isn't a huge profit.
- Every "optional" provides a HUGE boost to the price. Much larger than the improvement's cost. So ALWAYS fill every "optional" slot when crafting stuff to sell.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
For the most part, I simply wait until I have enough components to craft something rather than buying any of the parts. It's not worth the hassle otherwise.

I make exceptions for gun barrels and certain other things, if I have "overage" (i.e. plenty of items to sell/an expensive item, merchant doesn't have enough Charons); I like to try to keep 4-6 of each caliber gun barrel on hand for constructing any gun frames I find.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I take gun components as "change" (since it's very easy to craft a gun that costs 3-4 times whatever charons the merchant has), assemble them into new guns and sell for MORE profit. As soon as you get your "economy" of the ground (usually by the time I finish Depot A) the game has pretty much infinite money.

Old One

Arcane
I caught a Phantom Squid in a "normal" place. It may have been off the Core City docks, in fact. No sign of a Ghostface though. Definitely use two rods at once.

Here's a fishing cheat: as you walk around, you will see fishing rods set up here and there in places like Junkyard. If you hover over them you'll get the red warning cursor because they don't belong to you, but every now and then you'll observe that they get bites on the line. If you can find a place where you can stay stealthy while clicking on these rods, you can "steal" the fish they've hooked. The best part is, they don't seem ever to run out of bites, presumably because they are scenery and don't belong to the player. Just make sure you don't accidentally pick them up, because you can't reset them.

Hint: try the two fishing rods north of the pier in Camp Hathor.

BTW, Exothermic Aura is handy if you neglected to bring a flare.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So a question about an area in DC
I found a facility with lots of sleeping tubes by randomly exploring all areas looking for parts to repair the door to Tchort. All I could do here is hack the terminal and turn off life support to all cells. Then another door opens and whole facility is not filled with Apparitions I cannot damage and the see me through stealth instantly. What am I supposed to do here?

EDIT: I figured it out although it makes no sense, but whatever.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'm recycling the shit out of everything I don't need that costs less than 4000 and I make advanced repair kits which I then may even use as currency if the need arises, but I'm swimming in money anyway. I've decided to only keep the named weapons just as... totally arbitrary collectible objects.

I bet you think I'm stupid.

First, I got hooked on the latest fad: TACOs. "Collect them all!" they said. "Everyone's got one!" they said. Then the scandal… the internal memo leaked that TACO stands for "Totally Arbitrary Collectible Objects". They were laughing in the face of the consumer. We were all duped.

Then the TACO burnings, the suicides. Some people had spent all their savings on them when the bottom fell out. But I kept them. I still loved them. Then I fell on hard times. I sold everything: my sled, my furniture. Finally, I had to sell the collection. For chump change.

And then a year later, their popularity resurged. People were retro-proud to own them, and everyone who had them made a mint. Not me, I was penniless. But I worked my way back up. I have money now. But there's no TACOs on the market. Collectors hoard them. They're status symbols. Every one I see and can't have mocks me. I need to heal this wound, this pain I've had eating away at me for so long.

Could you help me? If you can find TACOs for me, I'll reward you handsomely. I have contacts. Please?

101-nox00245.jpg

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
So a question about an area in DC
I found a facility with lots of sleeping tubes by randomly exploring all areas looking for parts to repair the door to Tchort. All I could do here is hack the terminal and turn off life support to all cells. Then another door opens and whole facility is not filled with Apparitions I cannot damage and the see me through stealth instantly. What am I supposed to do here?

EDIT: I figured it out although it makes no sense, but whatever.

It will make sense as you explore further in DC. It is explained later on if you are the reading type.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, you should be able to release before the secretary goes red, if your stealth is higher than, like, 30.

Nines

Learned
With a low strength character I feel myself like Al Fabet. :shittydog:

On a brighter note, I tried disabling autosaves between transitions. Feels like:

images

Although I know I will suffer eventually, since I constantly forgetting to save my game.

Blackmill

Scholar
A few questions for those who've finished the Deep Caverns

1. Could someone tell me where to find the Drive Shaft and the three canisters of liquid? I don't want to spend much more time on this game so spoilers are fine.
2. Do I need the Pulsating Root's heart to get rid of the overgrowth on the gate?
3. I've found some lab (Thironus?) keycards for several Biocorp scientists. Is it worth it trying to find the lab they're for?

Thanks.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
A few questions for those who've finished the Deep Caverns

1. Could someone tell me where to find the Drive Shaft and the three canisters of liquid? I don't want to spend much more time on this game so spoilers are fine.
2. Do I need the Pulsating Root's heart to get rid of the overgrowth on the gate?
3. I've found some lab (Thironus?) keycards for several Biocorp scientists. Is it worth it trying to find the lab they're for?

Thanks.

1. I know that there is one in the warehouse of the warehouse district. You can access it after re-directing some power from Arke Station to the district. You can get the second one by releasing Tchortist prisoner located in Faceless camp as part of the Tchortist quest.
2. You need to make a grenade using pulsating root to clear the organic matter. You make the grenade in the district 2x east of the Tchortist encampment after directing power to this district from Arke Station. It is in a locked building with a electronic lock located west section of that district.
3. I don't remember if it is necessary to visit the lab.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am kind of stuck in DC again. Got a question about Arke power station that you enter though the map with burrowers.
It is map north of Faceless camp. Another place I entered without a quest, don't know if that is the problem. I got no clue how to advance here now. I turned off all 3 power levels on two maps there, opened all doors that are not red and tried to crawl through ventilation space a bit. Two things I could not do something with is the boulder that asks for high Strength and a red door that asks for 130 hacking. Is one of those two required or did I miss something else?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
My Deep Caverns bug-out bag is complete. It's time to roast this pig.

ce37f4ce98.png

• jackhammer because I have a strong feeling that Serbian son of bitch put cave-ins down there
  • biotechnician suit because I have a strong feeling he put toxic barrels down there, too
  • one hospital of drugs, bandages, and doctor's pouch
  • 1737 capacity q125+ high-medium energy shield for Faceless et al.
  • 1606 capacity q125+ low-low energy shield for creatures
  • 80 flares plus night-vision goggles with 3 minutes of charge and +100% detection
  • infused cave hopper vest w/ infused siphoner tabi together granting +1 Agility, 25%/10 mech, immobilize immunity, +30% movement speed, +72 MP, +70 Dodge/Evasion, +54 Stealth
  • alternate q125+ regenerative (45 HP/turn) stealth tac vest with q40 psi beetle plate
  • psi headband granting +15 max psi points, +20 to all psi skills, -20% psi cost, and +10% psi crit chance
  • enough batteries to power the Large Hadron Collider for five years
  • plenty of repair kits, everything fully repaired and recharged

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Neat and tidy. Good to know I better stock the fuck up before going in. If anyone has suggested DC readiness kit for a stealth/knife/throwing/dodge/evasion/mechanics/electronics/lockpicking I would appreciate it.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
How different that inventory would look if your inventory was susceptible to fire, cold, shock damage.

Inf0mercial

Augur
Jesus i have like 20 cryo grenades and 30 bio grenades after seeing guy earlier in thread gassing people to death i tried it on that supermarket with lunatics and its fucking hilarious i don't even have stealth you just throw it one tile before their feet and wait, one bio grenade can kill a person because the stacks of bio hazard stack up and up and kill them.

I felt like i was committing a miniature war crime as i waited for the thick green smoke to clear wandered in and picked all up all their shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom