Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Elthosian

Arcane
Jesus i have like 20 cryo grenades and 30 bio grenades after seeing guy earlier in thread gassing people to death i tried it on that supermarket with lunatics and its fucking hilarious i don't even have stealth you just throw it one tile before their feet and wait, one bio grenade can kill a person because the stacks of bio hazard stack up and up and kill them.

I felt like i was committing a miniature war crime as i waited for the thick green smoke to clear wandered in and picked all up all their shit.

Styg set up an encounter like that in another of the Lunatic cleanup quests, you even get to lock them up and watch through the glass as they slowly die from the toxic gas :incline:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Shroom guys
rekt by Jedi Master in a single turn, 0 ammo or consumables used. Appreciate the HP bloat, gives me the opportunity to dish out a good, satisfying thwomping. :smug:

Blackmill

Scholar
Shroom guys
rekt by Jedi Master in a single turn, 0 ammo or consumables used. Appreciate the HP bloat, gives me the opportunity to dish out a good, satisfying thwomping. :smug:

Mind telling me what you used to kill those creatures? My psi char needs to use Expose Weakness and Telikinetic Punch to kill them in one turn but I figure Pyrokonetic Stream may also work if they have low enough fire resistance. Unfortunately I don't have that ability since I wasn't expecting crit-immune enemies.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Mind telling me what you used to kill those creatures? My psi char needs to use Expose Weakness and Telikinetic Punch to kill them in one turn but I figure Pyrokonetic Stream may also work if they have low enough fire resistance. Unfortunately I don't have that ability since I wasn't expecting crit-immune enemies.

They're crit-immune? There's a Psychosis crit-based specialization for psi (not to mention crit-based weapon feats and components), and HP-bloated enemies in the fucking hardest area of the game are crit-immune?

You know, I'm starting to slide back along the scale from "official Stygian Software shill" and towards "bomb Serbia." I keep discovering little factoids so intensely stupid that even though I love this game to death, I can't help but be exasperated.

To answer your question, I use Telekinetic Proxy -> Premeditation -> Implosion -> Telekinetic Punch -> Neural Overload -> Neural Overload -> Neural Overload. It just barely deals enough damage to kill them in one turn (occasionally one is left with a tiny sliver).

Tigranes

Arcane
" even though I love this game to death, I can't help but be exasperated."

Welcome to our world!

Zetor

Arcane
Yea, the crit-immune stuff was discussed a few times earlier.

On a similar note: consider how much more ~fun~ you'd be having right now if you were playing a trapper build only to discover that the other type of HP-bloated enemies in DC (that you'd definitely want to trap) are completely immune to them because of magic teleportation powers an AP-free burrowing ability they can use at will. Or how those same enemies also happen to have insane mechanical resistance AND regenerate HP. (should be a breeze for a psi build, though)

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
On a brighter note, I tried disabling autosaves between transitions. Feels like:

images

JESUS FUCK WHY DID I NOT REALIZE THIS
:bounce::bounce::incline:
this + cheatengine speedhack makes the game so much better!
Holy fuck, thank you thank you thank you. Thank you. Damn!
Transition went from a constant 5 seconds to hardly 1 sec. Navigating cities is no longer a nightmare. Backtracking through familiar areas is a breeze.
This is the best!

Styg, epeli , you should SERIOUSLY consider making an ingame speedhack, toggle-able with buttons. The more people who can use this without downloading CE, the better.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
LoL, typical Deep Caverns syndronome :lol:

BTW, that fire aura should work good against them since its % of max.health damage.

And Implosion plus Snipe. My reworked PSI Sniper is ready very soon. I never expected Snipe to be that great but it essentially one shots everything atm already hitting for 400+ at level 10. Also seems like Cryogenic Induction will become pretty helpful down there.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

BTW, that fire aura should work good against them since its % of max.health damage.

I'm Tranquility with high stealth and so am experiencing no especial difficulties, personally. Crit immunity has little effect on me other than saving me Trance and Focus stims and rendering one part of my psi headband obsolete, but there's only one non-crit-based headband add-on component anyway. I don't have any crit feats, not even the Electrokinesis feat (and now I'm glad I don't).

I haven't been aware of these specific complaints about DC until now because I've avoided reading anything about DC. My eyes just slide past any offending text and move on to the next thing.

I can't imagine having played the game for 80+ hours as a Psychosis build only to discover in DC that several of your feats, both of your psi band add-ons, and some of your abilities don't do jack shit anymore.

The sheer fuckwittedness on display here is just beyond belief. There is no sane defense for that design decision, and it should have been fixed in 1.0.0.1.

Last edited:

Nines

Learned
Resisted everything in this game, which can be considered as a frustration by someone, but damn Gauntlet, I have no words. :argh:
Not really sure why it's even in the game. Absolutely 0 fun doing this shit, even for 2 thousand chips. Working as a gigolo in Drop Zone is probably more entertaining than this.
I assume it was suppose to give the Running Man feel, but instead it feels like someone just played a rogue shit dungeon crawler, and decided to make something like that in UnderRail.

Ziem

Arbiter

They're crit-immune? There's a Psychosis crit-based specialization for psi (not to mention crit-based weapon feats and components), and HP-bloated enemies in the fucking hardest area of the game are crit-immune?

You know, I'm starting to slide back along the scale from "official Stygian Software shill" and towards "bomb Serbia." I keep discovering little factoids so intensely stupid that even though I love this game to death, I can't help but be exasperated.

To answer your question, I use Telekinetic Proxy -> Premeditation -> Implosion -> Telekinetic Punch -> Neural Overload -> Neural Overload -> Neural Overload. It just barely deals enough damage to kill them in one turn (occasionally one is left with a tiny sliver).
theres only like a handful of these fucking crit immune mushroom things that you actually have to kill, you can run past most of them
plus, there is a biohazard suit somewhere in dc that grants 100% bio resistance which makes these encounters fairly easy with just about any build

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Oh, well, now I'm slightly less mad... but only somewhat. If it's the mushroom guys and only them, it's not a big deal. Somehow I'd gotten the impression that a bunch (but perhaps not all) of the enemies down there were crit-immune.

Nines
The biggest problem I had with Gauntlet was the final room. Even if you do the preceding rooms relatively quickly (including the electrified floor room, which guarantees the need for reloading unless you're very patient, i.e. too slow), your fellow contestants seem to ride rocket sleds through the final room to their exits, they certainly don't fight enemies of their own, and there's nowhere near enough time to fight the enemies the player inexplicably faces unless you have most/all of the keys.

What I want to know is, how did two average retards from Core City manage to be as good at Gauntlet as the Invictus and the person who slaughtered Fort Apogee singlehandedly?

ST'Ranger

Augur
I'm Tranquility with high stealth and so am experiencing no especial difficulties, personally. Crit immunity has little effect on me other than saving me Trance and Focus stims and rendering one part of my psi headband obsolete, but there's only one non-crit-based headband add-on component anyway. I don't have any crit feats, not even the Electrokinesis feat (and now I'm glad I don't).

I haven't been aware of these specific complaints about DC until now because I've avoided reading anything about DC. My eyes just slide past any offending text and move on to the next thing.

I can't imagine having played the game for 80+ hours as a Psychosis build only to discover in DC that several of your feats, both of your psi band add-ons, and some of your abilities don't do jack shit anymore.

The sheer fuckwittedness on display here is just beyond belief. There is no sane defense for that design decision, and it should have been fixed in 1.0.0.1.

Now imagine you were wielding a crossbow (I know, never again) and going up against these 700 HP shrooms with 75% mechanical resist. But it's OK, you were smart enough to know your weaknesses and go for Hypertoxicity. More than that, you came Prepared To Fuck with ~20kg of poison bolts.

And then you find that they're immune to poison...

:hmmm:

Zetor

Arcane
theres only like a handful of these fucking crit immune mushroom things that you actually have to kill, you can run past most of them
plus, there is a biohazard suit somewhere in dc that grants 100% bio resistance which makes these encounters fairly easy with just about any build
Where's the biohazard suit? I'm pretty sure I explored every area and haven't found it... but yea, it makes the encounter trivial. I'm thinking that the protectorate chemical armor could work, too.

hell bovine

Arcane
So a question about an area in DC
I found a facility with lots of sleeping tubes by randomly exploring all areas looking for parts to repair the door to Tchort. All I could do here is hack the terminal and turn off life support to all cells. Then another door opens and whole facility is not filled with Apparitions I cannot damage and the see me through stealth instantly. What am I supposed to do here?

EDIT: I figured it out although it makes no sense, but whatever.
Actually it does.
Those tubes was an experimental attempt similar to cryo-preservation (you get this info later on, from personal chat logs of scientists involved). The apparitions are psi-projections, because by turning off life support you have started the waking up process. It's only after you disconnect sth in the cells (was it power cables?) that you kill them - which you don't have to do, as you just need the machine part hidden in the north-west part of the room and the sight radius of those apparitions is pretty limited.

Zetor

Arcane

Now imagine you were wielding a crossbow (I know, never again) and going up against these 700 HP shrooms with 75% mechanical resist. But it's OK, you were smart enough to know your weaknesses and go for Hypertoxicity. More than that, you came Prepared To Fuck with ~20kg of poison bolts.

And then you find that they're immune to poison...

I'd still rather fight these things than Deep Worms. At least they don't regenerate hp, take at least SOME mechanical damage and aren't immune to traps.. (though I guess worms are easier to kill if you have hypertox)

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I was really loving this game, but now I'm in the deep caverns and I even have problems finding the motivation to finish. Might just restart and try out another build (currently metal armor/assault rifles) instead.

About the objective down there:
I'm not even sure why I need to kill Tchort. I did all the Institute quests and sure, it doesn't sound like something with the interests of humankind at heart, but it also doesn't necessarily seem any more nefarious now than when I first heard the lecture by Minister Percival or whoever in core city. I'm still not sure what that object everyone want to get their hands on is, other than a source of electrical current, and now that I'm down here there's no emphasis on finding it anymore.

Nines

Learned
The biggest problem I had with Gauntlet was the final room. Even if you do the preceding rooms relatively quickly (including the electrified floor room, which guarantees the need for reloading unless you're very patient, i.e. too slow), your fellow contestants seem to ride rocket sleds through the final room to their exits, they certainly don't fight enemies of their own, and there's nowhere near enough time to fight the enemies the player inexplicably faces unless you have most/all of the keys.
I know one game with similar mechanics (the more time you spend on a level - the harder it becomes), but it shows you the timer and a level of difficulty. In this shit, you only have to guess whether you're slow or not. At least some kind of announcements would be nice.

What I want to know is, how did two average retards from Core City manage to be as good at Gauntlet as the Invictus and the person who slaughtered Fort Apogee singlehandedly?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It makes sense that there are some enemies that render one of your strategies useless, or that you'll end up having a tough time with (such as mid-game crossbow users vs. high mech resist enemies).

Still, it sounds like we went a little crazy with it in DC.

hell bovine

Arcane

Wait until you meet the worms.

It's not even like either are particularly dangerous, it's just that killing them starts feeling like a chore pretty quickly (playing a psychosis mage, though crossbow users have more to complain). At least once you're done with that area, you don't have to return there, unlike some other places in DC, where the same bunch of critters respawns again and again.

I was really loving this game, but now I'm in the deep caverns and I even have problems finding the motivation to finish. Might just restart and try out another build (currently metal armor/assault rifles) instead.

About the objective down there:
I'm not even sure why I need to kill Tchort. I did all the Institute quests and sure, it doesn't sound like something with the interests of humankind at heart, but it also doesn't necessarily seem any more nefarious now than when I first heard the lecture by Minister Percival or whoever in core city. I'm still not sure what that object everyone want to get their hands on is, other than a source of electrical current, and now that I'm down here there's no emphasis on finding it anymore.
Not to spoil too much, but metal armor and assault is probably one of the better build choices against tchort.

Actually, if you pay attention there are indicators that tchort gets his mutations by being fed humans with the right genome, e.g. Detritus. And there is a backstory on how it came to be once you explore the chat logs of scientists who used to live there. It's just that all this is packed together with boring enemies and "find yet another item" quest.

And if you want to find out about more about the institute, explore the forbidden lab in the basement. It will make all tchortist hostile, though.

EDIT: I think that the tchort institute is probably the most interesting faction in the game, precisely because a lot of people won't go against them, because they are quest-givers and merchants. But there are pretty strong hints that something fishy is going on there (in one of the quest an NPC outright tells you where to investigate), and if you visit the forbidden area, you'll see what hides beneath the mask.

I think deep caverns would be far more interesting, if it would be about fighting alongside, or against the factions there (or perhaps even playing them against each other), instead of slogging through shrooms, worms and other critters just to get items A, B and C.

One warning though: once you make the tchortist hostile, you are locked in the institute and have to proceed to deep caverns. I am not sure if its possible to sneak in there, as that the side entrance to the forbidden area is blocked. I have reported both on the official forums and Styg's wrote that they'll look into it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom