Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
lmau new patch (1.1.3.4) broke the game

can't start new game, can't save, some can't transition zones, can't set up a fishing pole

kbovYKd.jpg

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
lmau new patch (1.1.3.4) broke the game

can't start new game, can't save, some can't transition zones, can't set up a fishing pole

kbovYKd.jpg

Werks 4 me

Also I just did the arena. What a tweeeest!

upload_2021-4-15_20-10-10.png

:smug:

Attachments

• upload_2021-4-15_20-9-56.png
    upload_2021-4-15_20-9-56.png
    243.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
A bit anachronistic, though. If you kill off Aegis personally, their corpses will naturally persist; yet when the Serpentborn arrive, the graphics of the Aegis encampment automatically change to show bodies penned to tent walls and such—as though the Serpentborn finished them off, and not the player. There should be an alternate script to handle the very possible scenario in which the player personally slaughters Aegis.
That one's covered. The ending says the natives show up later and then mess with the corpses.

That's irrelevant. The depiction of the elimination of Aegis during actual play—the script that removes the lighting and power, replaces plain tent wall models with variants that are ripped or have Sec-troopers slumped against them, and that spawns the corpse bonfire and Sec-trooper corpse decals on floor tiles—is anachronistic when the player has already killed all of those Sec-troopers.

The power outage and corpse bonfire are fine, granted. However, there is no need for the Serpentborn to attack the encampment when all of the Aegis personnel are already dead by the player's hand. There should be no ripped tent walls, because there was no unseen battle; nor should there be additional corpses scattered about, because the corpses that the player left behind are still right where the player left them, and there were no more living personnel from whom to create additional corpses.

So, to sum up: If the player kills off Aegis, then the Serpentborn should arrive to cut the power and create the bonfire, but the tent walls shouldn't be replaced and no additional corpse sprites/decals (outside of the bonfire) should be added.

The power outage and corpse bonfire are fine, granted. However, there is no need for the Serpentborn to attack the encampment when all of the Aegis personnel are already dead by the player's hand. There should be no ripped tent walls, because there was no unseen battle; nor should there be additional corpses scattered about, because the corpses that the player left behind are still right where the player left them, and there were no more living personnel from whom to create additional corpses.
Oh. Yeah, that's weird. I could accept maybe they attacked the tents just because they hate them in general, but extra corpses is pretty dumb.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It also seems that, without either Persuade or Intimidate, you can't interrogate much backstory out of Professor Oldfield. You can extract two answers to the most basic and broad questions by beating him; the third beating kills him.

I have mixed feelings about this. It's generally good to make social skills needful in some way, but I'm not sure that holding the actual game lore hostage is the best approach.

Special merchant inventories and big discounts on expensive items were strokes of genius for Mercantile. I think the special inventories go a bit too far in some cases, because when high-quality components are held hostage to the extent seen on some high-end vendors (including faction vendors), Mercantile in essence becomes the sixth crafting skill—because without it, you can't get the most out of them. It's very meta, too, but then that applies to most skills you don't want to always max.

Being able to rise in the actual ranks of the factions and make some decisions that affect you during the game and at the endings could cement Persuade and Intimidate as being actually important, rather than as a dump for leftover skill points and/or a Yell booster. Fucking you over here and there to punish you for not having them is what I believe is called a negative incentive. Positive incentives are preferable.

Of course, Underrail is quite old at this point (having released six years ago after a very long dev cycle), and Underrail: Pre-Nerfed is in dev, so I doubt a great deal more effort will be expended on it (effort that would be necessary to elevate Persuade and Intimidate in the way I've described).

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
are they still branding infusion as expansion? just brand it as sequel already, better marketing too. expansion will work under the assumption you have to play the base game, even if it's a stand alone story and new cast. it just seem like a bad idea to me.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Thats what happens on Dominating son.

Also, I do wish you had other iterations of some of the more singular monsters. Cuttlesnail and Deepworms are the best examples. Like, in some caves or in toxic areas you could see lesser iterations of them, and a boss version of them in deep caverns ala Black Crawler.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
DEX side benefits: slightly improved fishing, occasionally climb a gate that you can just walk around anyway
STR side benefits: carry more stuff, occasionally force a gate that you can just walk around anyway
PER side benefits: see explosive mines, gigantic venomous arachnids, and lurking murderers before they kill you; spot secret entrances and hidden stashes

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
In all fairness, there are quite a few of those gaps (especially in Expedition), reinforcing the concept of Agility being an acrobatic attribute.

However, Agility isn't tied to a primary means of offense, except very indirectly through Stealth-enhanced damaging abilities. It's all about mobility and footwork.

I always forget to list Will, which offers absolutely no side benefits whatsoever, unless you count the ability to have schizophrenic conversations with various large rocks. It has some dialogue checks, but then so do other attributes and skills.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Greetings men, I come asking advice. I've had this excellent title in my steam library since early access, started playing it back then and I remember enjoying it immensely, for what little time I've invested. Unfortunately, soon after my playthrough began, one of my old parents started having some serious health issues, it completely killed my free (read: gaming) time. Believe it or not, it also left me with a sort of sorrowful melancholy, each time I thought about starting a new game the state of mind and emotion I felt back then overwhelmed me and, In the end, I just kept postponing it over and over.

Years have passed, shiet came and went, life is different now. I think I can handle an Underrail playthrough. I tried accessing some spoiler free resources (I remember almost nothing, this is basiclly a blind one for me) to choose a playstyle and get up-to-date with skill usage and viability and...
In more than one instance I've been given the advice to simply follow some pre-made build as a newb. First time I simply ignored the advice, second time I ask myself if decline is even more widespread than I previously thought but after the 5th opinion I get is again do that, I clearly need to reconsider.

So I ask:

1) Is it possible to tackle Underrail blind and figure out a build on your own? I mean, you obviously need to plan ahead for stats, feats and shit. Mainly I'd like to avoid a build someone else figured out for me, if I need to frontload some homework and plan heavily, so be it. I'd hate falling into some newb trap and having to restart mid game tho...

2) Suggest me a good starter config, stats, what feats I should focus on and be sure to understand... Things like that. No eccessive detail needed. Generally speaking I like fun! characters more than OP one, even if it leads to some frustration. For my first playthrough I'd like to be able to see as much as possible of the world, without having to rely on some specific or unique piece of equipment I'd have to find first to make it work. Heavy reliance on consumable is kosher, I like stressing for resources. I'm not exactly a fan of crafting equimpent but neither I'm against it, if you think it's important to have a fun and satisfying playthrough. Crafting consumables is, once again, something I actually enjoy. I'd prefer to focus on ranged over melee but I have no explicit preferences.

Thanks ahead, gentlemen :salute:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
There's a build calculator here: https://underrail.info/build/

You don't really need to follow someone else's build if you're prepared to sit there a while and play with it. Just keep in mind that offense usually trumps defense. Characters that don't have stealth and don't have psi are not that fun; take at least one of them. I got annoyed by the skill system when I first played UR because it doesn't let you pump up a single skill really hard like Fallout, but a consequence of that is you end up making broader characters. You realize that maybe you can afford a splash of Throwing or Intimidation or Pickpocket, and you end up having more fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom