Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Too much content, being able to explore everything, it ruins the necessity of additional playthroughs.
I kind of get this argument, in the sense that if you take the time to go through the entire game you might be too exhausted/daunted to roll another character and go through all of it again, but that's not the point you were making and it's also a weak argument imo.

Part of the reason people replay Underrail is so they can see some the other side of some of the choices they've made, but that's only part of it. The main reason is to experience the game again with a completely different build which drastically changes how you experience the game. Adding too much content won't change that, and if anything will add another incentive for people to replay the game because they'll want to try more shit differently.
New oddity page? Could someone post a screenshot?
Capture111.png
Styg The old oddity page was better for all the reasons everyone said. Even as a player that's put 500 hours into this game and espoused its merits to anyone who will listen, I still felt a sense of wonder by staring at all the oddity silhouettes and dreaming about doing a proper completionist run one day. Shame you had to change it.

CHEMS

Scholar
now's the time to flesh out the export/import function into a fully fledged new game+ feature, start new games from clearfiles, choose what to carry over on startup

then add super secret ending after having beat every playthrough exclusive DOM boss encounter, mutant clear, Dude romance maxed wtih a single character, and bring the broken thermostat

super super secret ending for people who have all the tattoos - 1 tattoo per playthrough, Booth's appearance is random of course

YES, a new game+ would be awesome.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
The pictures that supposedly show the variants are actually pictures describing the Tesla Armor. Anyway, I think this cemented my desire to do a Heavy Armor, low mobility, Metathermics build. I don't think I've ever done a super high con build so this'll be fun.

Edit: How useful is thick skull? Finding it hard to budget all my spec points so I can fit 10 Con, 6 Int, and enough will to make sure my Psi does more than just tickle people while I pump Strength?

CHEMS

Scholar
How did you guys like the lunatic camp beneath occulus? Their merchant sells lots of crawler glands, hypercerebrix, trance and other goodies

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
The pictures that supposedly show the variants are actually pictures describing the Tesla Armor.
It doesn't have sprites because it's impossible to wear without cheating. It's located in the mutant ending areas, and mutants can't wear anything. Styg trolling hard.
Playthrough enthusiasm has been slightly lowered...:dealwithit:
How did you guys like the lunatic camp beneath occulus? Their merchant sells lots of crawler glands, hypercerebrix, trance and other goodies
Was that really added?

CHEMS

Scholar
Yes, it's in a slope to the left, in the same screen occulus is. Requires 3 agi to climb down

Trashos

Arcane
How useful is thick skull? Finding it hard to budget all my spec points so I can fit 10 Con, 6 Int, and enough will to make sure my Psi does more than just tickle people while I pump Strength?

Assuming you do not have Locus of Control AND you are not planning to be using Bullhead (requires Bio 80), then it is useful in some situations. Note that it works against Stunned, but IIRC it does not work against Incapacitated, which sucks bigtime.

Anyway, by now I always use Bullhead instead (when I do not have LoC).

CHEMS

Scholar
Turns out that Constantine will actually sell the plasma beam mentor. Got it before even starting oligarchs quest line when grinding for the bolt quiver, sweet. He sells stasis early too.

Trashos

Arcane
Better late than never.

It just dawned on me that what goes on in the Lemurian Health Center is an example of the Ferryman's philosophy (Descent towards the Center, True Death). It is obvious once you read the text of your visions carefully, but somehow I had missed it. By extension, the whole history of NFT is again the same thing, an example of the Ferryman's philosophy.

EDIT: This makes me suspect that Biocorp attacked NFT, because NFT was doing something that was dragging everyone down (making the "collective ship" sink faster). I have no way of knowing whether this is actually the case, however.

Last edited:

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Ferryman's philosophy reflects all of the game honestly, even Tchort. The whole thing is about a descent of humanity. But NFT, that was all kinds of fucked up. Abyssal Station Zero is really the Zero Point for the beginning of that world's end. Biocorp hastened it, absolutely. By maybe a century or two. But the Atlanteans in Abyssal Station, studying that cursed Obelisk. If Lemuria didn't fall to Biocorp, it would surely have been eaten up or brutally wounded by the Atlanteans in Abyssal Station Zero when the scientists started delving into the oblivion of black pillar.

Some people think Flottsormir is a Leviathan. I've even surmised that it's the remains of one that was destroyed outside of mars in the pillars visions, the spirit of the beast slowly dying still, or having become something else entirely from the weapon of the Godmen. But honestly, I don't think so. I think Flottsormir is just another monster from the beyond.

Can't help but to keep thinking of Hellboy's good stories, where there are things in the beyond, in the void, that have no real physical form as we can understand.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Ferryman is like fricking Ted Kaczynski. ITZ THE TECHNOLOGY MAAAAN! We think of ourselves as too smart, smarter than creators, thinking we all figured it out, morality became obsolete, the rules created at whim with whole societies bending to them. Wonder who the ferryman is. Maybe he is one of the rahm-umbra people.

Speaking of which -anyone tried attacking him and killing?
Edit: Apparently you can kill him. So its impossible for him to be rahm umbra. Maybe he is just one intelligent dude that somehow gathered all this knowledge? But how? Does he did archeology? Had access to some library or gathered all these pieces of data?

Ghulgothas

Arcane
UnderRail is certainly a game of many mysteries. But there is one in particular that bites and gnaws at me whenever I play...

What's up with those head-tentacles all the Tchortists have? They're never really commented on anywhere.
Tcharch-l.png
Tchjug-l.png
Tch-f-l.png
Tchsol-l.png
Tchprov-l.png

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

It's an enduring enigma, and whenever I try to piece it together, all I can think of is...

3e06421c9061164cd70fb21b5712ab32f5-17-jar-jar-binks-rsquare-w330.jpg

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Cultists in tchort institute doesn't seem mutated like the usual subjects that end up in tchort mutagen tanks. Or if the mutation occured it was very benign -as we see by tentacles. Unless these are cosmetic and added as a part of the outfit.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I always figured it was part of their uniform. Designed to mimic Tchort. I genuinely doubt they'd be welcome anywhere near Core City if they were wearing mutation so openly.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Maybe he is just one intelligent dude that somehow gathered all this knowledge? But how? Does he did archeology? Had access to some library or gathered all these pieces of data?

Nothing too unusual about his learnings. He's some half-karmic half-Gnostic half-Luddite guy. Stumbled upon some Old World texts. That's it.

Zeem

Learned
UnderRail is certainly a game of many mysteries. But there is one in particular that bites and gnaws at me whenever I play...

What's up with those head-tentacles all the Tchortists have? They're never really commented on anywhere.
Tcharch-l.png
Tchjug-l.png
Tch-f-l.png
Tchsol-l.png
Tchprov-l.png

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
I think they're just decorative, like a lot of other tentacle imagery Tchortists have. Maybe Eidein's are real, though.

Ferryman is like fricking Ted Kaczynski. ITZ THE TECHNOLOGY MAAAAN! We think of ourselves as too smart, smarter than creators, thinking we all figured it out, morality became obsolete, the rules created at whim with whole societies bending to them. Wonder who the ferryman is. Maybe he is one of the rahm-umbra people.

Speaking of which -anyone tried attacking him and killing?
Edit: Apparently you can kill him. So its impossible for him to be rahm umbra. Maybe he is just one intelligent dude that somehow gathered all this knowledge? But how? Does he did archeology? Had access to some library or gathered all these pieces of data?
He doesn't consider technology itself to be evil, rather it simply amplifies the inherent imperfection of man - mostly via increased connection with the material world. Ted is very much materialistic and only considers the effects of industrial society on the human psyche.
Ferryman explicitly mentions that his philosophy is cobbled together from the bits and pieces of old world that he pulls out with his barge's crane. He's a scavenger after all, and Lemuria is a treasure trove of lost culture and knowledge.

Ferryman's philosophy reflects all of the game honestly, even Tchort. The whole thing is about a descent of humanity. But NFT, that was all kinds of fucked up. Abyssal Station Zero is really the Zero Point for the beginning of that world's end. Biocorp hastened it, absolutely. By maybe a century or two. But the Atlanteans in Abyssal Station, studying that cursed Obelisk. If Lemuria didn't fall to Biocorp, it would surely have been eaten up or brutally wounded by the Atlanteans in Abyssal Station Zero when the scientists started delving into the oblivion of black pillar.

Some people think Flottsormir is a Leviathan. I've even surmised that it's the remains of one that was destroyed outside of mars in the pillars visions, the spirit of the beast slowly dying still, or having become something else entirely from the weapon of the Godmen. But honestly, I don't think so. I think Flottsormir is just another monster from the beyond.

Can't help but to keep thinking of Hellboy's good stories, where there are things in the beyond, in the void, that have no real physical form as we can understand.
Abyssal Station Zero wasn't even constructed when NFT moved underground, and the Shadowlith was only discovered 20-30 years before the fall of Lemuria. Surface was rendered uninhabitable long before that point, and Underrail was doomed from the start with its poor government structure.
Flottsormir doesn't seem heavily connected to Leviathans, but considering the nature of the Shadowlith it might be very much possible that it was somehow related to the Leviathan orbiting Mars. Maybe as a weapon to be used against Godmen, bypassing their range advantage and striking them psionically? Of what if the red planet is not Mars, but a young Earth?

jackofshadows

Magister

Tcharch-l.png
Tchjug-l.png
Tch-f-l.png
Tchsol-l.png
Tchprov-l.png

Nah - that's part of their uniform, after Eiden.

I like much more the Faceless mystery. Like *enigmatic voice*: "no one knows what exactly behind their masks" etc. O RLY? And what about dead Faceless, no one could care enough to rip it off?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom