Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Tygrende

Arbiter
on dom it can backfire, you get no stun if you dont overcome enemy electric dt
Are there that many el dt mobs?
Not really. This is mostly an issue if a human NPC is wearing a decent galvanic vest, really bad generator might get fully resisted. Otherwise on enemies like coils or nagas it's next to or impossible to overcome DT even with the best generators.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
on dom it can backfire, you get no stun if you dont overcome enemy electric dt
Are there that many el dt mobs?
hard to say really. Before dom I though that pretty much nothing got elec dt. Fairly early in dom i recall hitting such wall so just switched to taser dealing 20 or even 30 dmg, cant remember. As such I dont really know how frequent that is. Also its not like you use taser many times per fight so reloading it never bothered me

What armor types are you using for a Dodge/Evasion build? normie?
anything that doesn't gimp it (lazy and styling in Rathound Regalia), bit more room to be fancy if you have nimble while still not gimping it, whatever you want if you can afford to gimp it some - dodgy/evasive metalboy is also a possibility!! and very very possible with a nimble body weight training boy with armor sloping, I have no one way of going about it

again, in general, keep in mind how much you can fuck with your enemy's attack score (keeping distance and staying on dark squares, getting in the face of snipers and crossbow boys to give them close range penalties, getting out of the optimal range of short range boys, giving enemies a meaty YELL malus), and how much you can boost yours (jumping bean, gear, spells)
or go in other direction with regenerative vest. Yell is awesome indeed.
I guess one could max their chances with staff of darkness?

Trashos

Arcane
The constant display of the "Warm up" buff every time I happen to pass by a fire is annoying.

Parabalus

Arcane
Tygrende, I am watching your crowbar build vids on youtube these days. Awesome work, man!

They inspired me to try a melee build next (not a STR one though, I am scared to play with low initiative).
Cool, thanks. I was thinking about linking it on Codex after I kill Tchort, but might as well post the next best thing now.

Also, has anybody ever found a taser anywhere? I want to experiment with not investing in Electronics for some builds, but I want my freaking taser. I do not think I have ever seen one other than the ones I craft.
I have never found a taser. The only NPC that actually uses one are sentry bots, but they cannot drop it. That said, taser requires minimal investment since the stun chance doesn't scale with quality at all. Only reason to make it better is for more damage and capacity, both of which are not essential.

That crowbar build is a fine exemple of what playing smart actually looks like. That naga fight was brilliant.

The TNT timing is in the naga fight is nice.

The Carnifex fight here is just item spam, with 95% tungesten armor. Cool, but def not smart.

Why didn't you use taser+net?

I get self-imposed challenges but you're wearing a 95% armor, kinda makes it moot.

Last edited:

Tygrende

Arbiter
Where's the naga fight?
Under Port Crag. 4 Nagas on DOM, 3 on Hard, 2 on Normal, 1 on Easy.

Because neither of those is a crowbar. This build only interacts with enemies using a crowbar, period - no grenades, no nets, no dirty kick, no debuffs, not even bladed metal armor to make enemies bleed to proc Taste for Blood, etc. I'm only allowed to freely buff myself to crowbar better and use enviromental hazards to my advantage or enemies fighting each other. Hitting an exploding barrel with a crowbar is still hitting things with a crowbar and I cannot be held resposible for what the AI does. This is, truly, a crowbar build.

Parabalus

Arcane
Where's the naga fight?
Under Port Crag. 4 Nagas on DOM, 3 on Hard, 2 on Normal, 1 on Easy.

Because neither of those is a crowbar. This build only interacts with enemies using a crowbar, period - no grenades, no nets, no dirty kick, no debuffs, not even bladed metal armor to make enemies bleed to proc Taste for Blood, etc. I'm only allowed to freely buff myself to crowbar better and use enviromental hazards to my advantage or enemies fighting each other. Hitting an exploding barrel with a crowbar is still hitting things with a crowbar and I cannot be held resposible for what the AI does. This is, truly, a crowbar build.

Meant your video, found it.

No consumables outside of maybe batteries would be more interesting.

I get no grenades, but on the Carnifex fight you used more consumables than on the entirety of an average playthrough.

Last edited:

Tygrende

Arbiter
I get no grenades, but on the Carnifex fight you used more consumables than on the entirety of an average playthrough.
I will do all the drugs in the world to beat the game by just hitting things with a crowbar. My adrenaline consumption is probably near or already into 3 digits.

I get self-imposed challenges but you're wearing a 95% armor, kinda makes it moot.
You're not seeing the full picture here. The challenge isn't to just beat Carnifex or any individual fight. The challenge is to go through the whole game and deal with everything there is with just the crowbar. This build is level 28 on oddity at the moment and has literally never done anything to any NPC in the game other than hit them with a crowbar. Not once.

Last edited:
I've recently finished Underrail, minus the expedition expansion.

What an adventure.

No quest markers, hard as hell, spamming explosive traps, bear traps, caltrops, grenades and combat drugs the entire game as a necessity, even as a tanky assault rifle tin can. So many games have me horde 'consumables', waiting for the perfect moment to use them, only for the moment to never arrive. Here, every fight, even with shitty bandits, usually starts with a dose of adrenaline and morphine. The balance, oh my the balance, so many viable builds, even the tin can isn't immortal, there is always something that you can counter, and there is always something that hard counters you. Beautiful 2d graphics, excellent soundtrack that nails the post apocalyptic vibe so well, the sounds of phantom trains in a world where only a handful of engines still exist, the crackling of electricity to accompany every abandoned lab where hopeful experiments went horribly wrong, and the soft laughter of children, in a city of murder, debauchery and excess where children even as NPCs do not exist at all. The constant drip feed of lore hidden in the farthest corners of the game world or gated behind high skill checks.
I've been playing Olympus 2077 and Fallout Nevada.. feeling like I could do with another RPG I've decided to try Underrail again, my last, very short playthrough was in 2014. In a relatively short amount of time I have completely fallen in love with this game, not only mechanically, but the world portrayed and the characters that inhabit it. It all clicks so well, I've forgotten the last time any videogame managed to get me to obsess over it so.

Any gripes I have with it, and there are several, such as all the backtracking, the slow fade-to-blacks between the relatively small maps.. all is forgiven as what's here far, far outweighs the negatives.
And I still have Expedition to play through. I figure the best way to do that is to just load a save when I was still level 15ish, and just do that. I'm lead to believe there isn't much, if anything at all, that I'll miss by keeping it separate like this. Better than completely steamrolling the Expedition with a hideously overlevelled tin can.

Tygrende

Arbiter
How do you manage death stalkers with no traps or utilities?
That's a good question, they are actually one of the more troublesome enemies for crowbar. Most of the game I simply ignored them, they don't appear in any vital areas and if they do they can be easily skipped or made to be killed by other enemies (bots at the abandoned warehouse, cuttlesnails at the CoreTech facility, etc.) Later I can make myself mostly invulnerable with 95% tungsten, but then my crit chance is so low, combined with low damage I can barely get past their regen after they disappear.

So overall, my best solution is going class cannon mode with >30% HP to trigger Survival Instincts, boosting my detection through the roof with stuffed bat, juice, motion tracking goggles and third eye and then simply bursting them down. Even at 3 PER, at high levels and with high stealth I'm able to detect them just fine. I don't have paranoia, either.

Crowbar build is funny in that I can be a complete glass cannon with over 80% crit chance or an invulnerable tank with over 500 HP depending on what the situation calls for.

CHEMS

Scholar
I never actually bothered to try SI with a melee build. You're just to frail to afford getting in melee range. Especially in my current build that not only has SI but also Fight Response. So i'm usually below 25% health.

Tygrende

Arbiter
It works well with crowbar most of the time. Which means it should work well with other melee all the time.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Alright, I finished my first DOM playthrough. Too bad that I've played it to death prior to the new difficulty level. Why the hell does Tchort have only 3k hit points? The locust hives in the expansion have 2k. Anything can stealth up to him and kill in one turn.

dfy2kCP.png

Energy shield pissing contest to trigger normie:

hAB3Mce.png

07TBqCV.png

5cKGGup.png

OxRg8BB.png

e5fuyl5.png
06ccqIM.png
LzLMaeJ.png

Knifegaf

Novice
Alright, I finished my first DOM playthrough. Too bad that I've played it to death prior to the new difficulty level. Why the hell does Tchort have only 3k hit points? The locust hives in the expansion have 2k. Anything can stealth up to him and kill in one turn.

dfy2kCP.png

hAB3Mce.png

07TBqCV.png

5cKGGup.png

OxRg8BB.png

e5fuyl5.png
06ccqIM.png
LzLMaeJ.png
Congrats man. Full auto smg vers was the first build I beat dom with as well. The fire power almost makes it easy on your first go

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
And just to trigger normie further, this is after DC. 1200 shield HP ought to be enough for everyone, right?

Edit: you ranted on how people are autistically making overpowered shields while according to you, any mid-game shield is enough to finish DOM.

6Wu0bEp.png

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

dfy2kCP.png

hAB3Mce.png

07TBqCV.png

5cKGGup.png

OxRg8BB.png

e5fuyl5.png
06ccqIM.png
LzLMaeJ.png

If Melee was your primary combat skill, why show us 3 SMGs?

Also, fully speced out versatility? Is that really a thing?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
But what did you primarily use? SMGs or melee (knives or unarmed/fist)?

I've had an energy blade for stealth kills when carrying the 5mm wasn't feasible. Also, 5mm shock bullets are total trash against anything that's even slightly armored.

orBeuQZ.png

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Edit: you ranted on how people are autistically making overpowered shields while according to you, any mid-game shield is enough to finish DOM.
I expressed it's a waste to someone who insisted it's a must-have

you didn't have a single encounter that stressed it for even half its capacity, neither did you exhaust the knife - if you make any use of stealth, it's probable you never lost more than 20% of shield juice, so why insist on a perk to have an extra 35% you're not missing

you could have had something cool

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom