Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
you didn't have a single encounter that stressed it for even half its capacity, neither did you exhaust the knife - if you make any use of stealth, it's probable you never lost more than 20% of shield juice, so why insist on a perk to have an extra 35% you're not missing

It still works in some areas. Such as lots of incoming frag grenades, DC mushroom forest, locusts, spitting serpents and so on. It also helps with the SMG build when enemies attack from a distance, have high evasion and are spaced far between.

Also, fully speced out versatility? Is that really a thing?

It's a real bitch to play like that. The build only started working on level 15. That's why I used Classic to begin with. I've had to stealth through Depot A and rush Chemistry for Mk3/4 grenades ASAP. But then the 9-round 8.6mm bursts got so powerful that I almost never got to use W3C ammo. Only enemies like industrial robots took more than 1-2 bursts to the face.

Styg should increase Tchort's HP to something like 20k. And add energy shield durability.

Trashos

Arcane
I am getting lagging near Camp Hathor with the new version. The location is the one with the rathounds and the death stalker as you are going from Camp Hathor to the Rathound King lair.

Let me know if anyone else gets it, so that I file it as a bug.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The black outlines being gone is a crime against humanity. Not only did it look cooler, there was this sense of wonder for new players, trying to figure out what the silhouettes may be and looking forward to finding out. It also made keeping track of what was already found a lot easier on subsequent playthroughs.

I can agree with Styg approach - I mean, game feels less as "gather them all" pokemon-style sim like that. Less incentive for oddity hunting - what you have found - you have found. Less pressingon autismo battons. I start to feel less concerned with odities.

That said, taser requires minimal investment since the stun chance doesn't scale with quality at all.

I thought it does? q of shock module affect chance for fortutude to proc, with amount of fortitude itself of course.

CHEMS

Scholar
Classic is better because it's a combat oriented game

You already know where all the oddities are because their location is static, so there's no reward for trying different and challenging builds

Tygrende

Arbiter

You already know where all the oddities are because their location is static, so there's no reward for trying different and challenging builds
The reward for trying different and challenging builds is trying different and challenging builds. The biggest problem with classic is that it showers the player with XP compared to oddity (level 12 before Depot, level 30 long before DC, etc.) thus making the game much easier. Being penalized for skipping combat isn't nice either, as the game, though combat-oriented, has plenty of alternative solutions to combat.

Parabalus

Arcane

The reward for trying different and challenging builds is trying different and challenging builds. The biggest problem with classic is that it showers the player with XP compared to oddity (level 12 before Depot, level 30 long before DC, etc.) thus making the game much easier. Being penalized for skipping combat isn't nice either, as the game, though combat-oriented, has plenty of alternative solutions to combat.

The game has too much content as is, classic lets you selectively choose what you want to experience in a particular playthrough.

Classic penalizes skipping combat way less compared to oddity's low % drop farm roulette.

Knifegaf

Novice

The game has too much content as is, classic lets you selectively choose what you want to experience in a particular playthrough.

Classic penalizes skipping combat way less compared to oddity's low % drop farm roulette.
The only oddities I ever need to farm are snouts or frog hearts. Everything else comes with a natural playthrough assuming you aren’t skipping every encounter that has a drop

CHEMS

Scholar
If you already know where the oddities are, you can just power level and even cheese the game to get those "hard to reach" ones. In classic, you have to fight. Most encounters aren't "respawnable", so there's no grinding here. Besides, as with oddity, the amount of xp needed for the next level scales with your level.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Most encounters aren't "respawnable", so there's no grinding here.
on Classic, the only thing stopping me from getting to level 30 before doing the SGS outposts by farming rathounds with my bare fitsts is my, admittedly weakened by crowbar, sanity.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Most encounters aren't "respawnable", so there's no grinding here.
on Classic, the only thing stopping me from getting to level 30 before doing the SGS outposts by farming rathounds with my bare fitsts is my, admittedly weakened by crowbar, sanity.

They don't respawn often enough, no. A rathound at high level gives 10 xp, and you need dozens of thousands of XP for each level.

Two years ago oddity was obviously better than classic because classic gave you far too much xp and broke the intended level progression. But now that Expedition exists both systems give you far too much xp and break the level progression, so really, you can pick what you want. You're going to be overlevelled anyway, unless you specifically avoid doing the Expedition content.

axedice

Cipher
dfy2kCP.png

Is 7 str just for full-auto or are there other benefits aswell?

Full auto is about 15% more damage which is not bad, but wouldn't the starting bonus from 7 perception make the game easier at the beginning?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Is 7 str just for full-auto or are there other benefits aswell?
Full auto is about 15% more damage which is not bad

Exclusively full auto. It's 28% more damage, going from 7 to 9 bullets. It's also the difference between killing a distant enemy (or an azuridae goliathus herd) with a low-accuracy burst and having him act the next turn. This build can kill an absurd amount of enemies in two turns. First prior to Stasis, the second a mop-up as stragglers get closer during the Stasis turns.

Check for yourself. Whack the Faceless main guy <https://www.dropbox.com/s/varonwg4zvgqm03/faceless fight.7z>.

It also helps with armor you can wear (heavy if you like, etc.) but also the amount of ammo you can carry. You'll need it.

It's not just the ammo for the cum guzzler SMG. You need to carry at least 15 repair kits at all times. Yes, it's insane. Even repair multiple times after a protracted fight.

Thankfully money turned out not to be such a big problem thanks to Disassemble. Item cost compounds with each added mod so I could yoink the good stuff (barrel retractor, extended mag) out of shitty guns. It's a great use for spending high-end looted parts. Buying components just to sell them on DOM isn't really viable. In the best case, you can buy a cheapest mod, such as a bipod or a foregrip just to compound the cost of the other mods. But no buying smart modules, tons of barrels or anything like that.
Obviously the ultimate meta-economy cheese would be spending 5 spec points on Disassemble and not carrying any repair kits as result. :M If only Versatility spec costed less than 10 points.

CHEMS

Scholar
Obviously the ultimate meta-economy cheese would be spending 5 spec points on Disassemble and not carrying any repair kits as result. :M If only Versatility spec costed less than 10 points.

Do you actually need to fully spec versatility? I think you'd do just fine with 6 spec points, that's usually the amount i take on versatility builds.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Do you actually need to fully spec versatility?

THC is a problem with SMGs. That problem doesn't exist for Gun-Fu Versatility builds.
Long range* THC is a problem with SMGs. A problem that never really goes away, because they have inherently huge drop over distance. Though I would still go for max versality. High weapon skill is important for both damage and precision.

Trashos

Arcane
You'll be spamming burst at close range anyway. Never tried gun-fu on pistol builds though. Seems like a waste of feat.

I tried Gun Fu on my 0.44 pistol build, and it made a huge difference. I do not understand what it does exactly, so I cannot break down the math, but in practice it is really good for pistols.

CHEMS

Scholar
You'll be spamming burst at close range anyway. Never tried gun-fu on pistol builds though. Seems like a waste of feat.

I tried Gun Fu on my 0.44 pistol build, and it made a huge difference. I do not understand what it does exactly, so I cannot break down the math, but in practice it is really good for pistols.

You're supposed to gain the bonus at melee range and i don't like getting that close to enemies in a non melee build.

On other note: i don't know if crits are bugged or if RNG Jesus is fucking with me. I'm on level 29, close to 30 on my metathermics crit xbow build. When i was at 55% base crit chance, i would get a LOT of crits. Now that i'm at 95% (with bonuses) i feel like i'm getting one crit out of ten shots. I attacked Fort Apogee with 95% crit chance and barely scored one. I'll take Scrutinous as my last feat and see if i'll actually crit 100% of the time.

jackofshadows

Magister
You're supposed to gain the bonus at melee range

Yes, I know that. I do not know how to calculate the bonus. But I saw a huge difference in damage once I got it and used it.
Huh, they've changed it I guess coz when I did the math last time it was only 20-25% tops dmg bonus in melee. Now it seems much higher than that. And still, kinda meh considering the melee requirement. But cool in a way that it can actually turn mobile char into melee with gun like it perhaps was conceived initially.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom