Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It exists, but hard to find - you can skip the small chiefs at no penalty, the opposite even.
Good to know. I'm not interested playing in Gorsky's fantasies. Still probably gonna have to choose between the three big fishes there I guess. If not, I wouldn't mind a small clue on where or what to look for.
Small clue it is.
Look beneath the surface of Core City to find its secrets. Just be careful, it's dark so you might miss something ;)

Parabalus

Arcane
It exists, but hard to find - you can skip the small chiefs at no penalty, the opposite even.
Good to know. I'm not interested playing in Gorsky's fantasies. Still probably gonna have to choose between the three big fishes there I guess. If not, I wouldn't mind a small clue on where or what to look for.

You can skip the big fishes, Gorsky is just a side quest.

You can get a quest for the skip by gathering items connected to the emergency phones around underrail, think Jon the Beautiful will also give you some info.

If you have PER >=
you look for
some pipes near elevators in the middle level

Otherwise take
mushroom drugs
times from the
wizard
in the
middle level

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

You can get a quest for the skip by gathering items connected to the emergency phones around underrail, think Jon the Beautiful will also give you some info.

If you have PER >=
you look for

Otherwise take
mushroom drugs
times from the
wizard
in the
middle level
You don't need high per or motion, there is another way that bypasses both of these.

Parabalus

Arcane

If you have PER >=
you look for

Otherwise take
mushroom drugs
times from the
wizard
in the
middle level
You don't need high per or motion, there is another way that bypasses both of these.
Different from finding clues and the associated quest?

notpl

Arbiter
Okay, so I got a little bit distracted with other games and never did my stealth replay of Underrail. I'm gearing back up and want to hear opinions again for a stealth murderhobo - most likely going with knives unless a very compelling argument can be made for another weapon that's sufficiently hobo-y. This will be my first time playing above Normal (probably just going to do Hard, still) and my first time playing without psionics, which I intend to stick to even though TM adds obvious utility to this (or indeed any) build.

First question is if it's worth dipping into firearms for Execute. A small, gay part of me loves the idea of mixing melee with pistols and the cripple/stunning gameplay of stealth knife seems like it would mix well with Execute, but also it might just be a big fat nothing in practice because a stunned enemy is already an enemy you can obliterate with knife crits in a couple swings.

I've heard some people use crafted knives to bypass mechanical DR and, therefore, the need for Expose Weakness. I don't remember how viable this is, did a new kind of knife blade get added or something? It seems like it would really restrict your playstyle.

Second is whether to touch throwing, traps, both or neither. With high agi/dex I don't see a ton of room for PER which means enemy traps will absolutely decimate a character who doesn't have some traps skill of their own, and throwing has always seemed essential to some degree with a melee build to enable accurate netting/grenading. Modest investment in both?

Fancy footwork or hit n run?

Are the defensive skills worthwhile at all on a stealth hit and runner? It seems like they're all or nothing, and this character should focus on avoiding enemy attacks altogether rather than nullifying them.

I hear you can poison melee weapons now - good? Does it last for multiple applications? Stacks? Worth taking hypertoxicity? Since I won't be taking psionics there's room for crafting aplenty.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I think some ranged investment (Versatility if you can afford it) is important for a knives build if you intend to do Expedition. It makes jetski combat a lot smoother.

Parabalus

Arcane
Versatility is all the ranged investment you need - lets you pew pew with all kinds of pistols. Just make sure to pump DEX to 18.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
First question is if it's worth dipping into firearms for Execute. A small, gay part of me loves the idea of mixing melee with pistols and the cripple/stunning gameplay of stealth knife seems like it would mix well with Execute, but also it might just be a big fat nothing in practice because a stunned enemy is already an enemy you can obliterate with knife crits in a couple swings.
https://underrail.info/build/?GAMQC...ABLwqMXHSYGEwsRw5HDkksSwp4aR8KF4rWuBOK9hAXfvw

if you use both melee and ranged - fancy
Are the defensive skills worthwhile at all on a stealth hit and runner? It seems like they're all or nothing, and this character should focus on avoiding enemy attacks altogether rather than nullifying them.
movement IS defense skill

notpl

Arbiter
https://underrail.info/build/?GAMQC...ABLwqMXHSYGEwsRw5HDkksSwp4aR8KF4rWuBOK9hAXfvw

Why 8 int?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

Why 8 int?
normally id go for ripper but I didnt have enough feats to pick it early enough. As result decided to focus more on guns and pick blitz late game instead. It did result in 1 spare ability point - int, so crafting is easier.

Another way would be to go 5 str, 7 agi, 5 will and 7 int. This way you can grab steadfast aim and ripper... eventually.

This is a meme build to utilize both cutthroat and execute, was fine on dominating but I only played it until lvl 14 i think, then lost interest.

Cromwell

Arcane
I am still fiddeling with my skills. For the people who tried psi, is it still viable to take more than two schools? I still want to take up metathermics in addition to thought control and psychokinesis, but I only took psycho for the wall since that seems useful although I am not even sure I can cast through the wall. If I take stealth, hacking, Locks, persuasion, tailoring and electricity, I would only have two skills free so if I wanted to take a third psi school I would either funnel points from stealth or persuasion. Since I get a big bonus on persuasion that should be doable but I also could just skip one school and go with two instead but I dont know if I have enough to survive with only two (thought and metathermics in that case).

I also have no way of crafting explosives and didnt find a way to buy T.N.T charges which I need for the rocks later. I skilled at least a bit in bio and chemistry for the psi boosters and inhalers.

Parabalus

Arcane
I am still fiddeling with my skills. For the people who tried psi, is it still viable to take more than two schools? I still want to take up metathermics in addition to thought control and psychokinesis, but I only took psycho for the wall since that seems useful although I am not even sure I can cast through the wall. If I take stealth, hacking, Locks, persuasion, tailoring and electricity, I would only have two skills free so if I wanted to take a third psi school I would either funnel points from stealth or persuasion. Since I get a big bonus on persuasion that should be doable but I also could just skip one school and go with two instead but I dont know if I have enough to survive with only two (thought and metathermics in that case).

I also have no way of crafting explosives and didnt find a way to buy T.N.T charges which I need for the rocks later. I skilled at least a bit in bio and chemistry for the psi boosters and inhalers.

You can definitely take 3 schools, but with how the cost increases you will rarely have all 3 invoked - with TC you will steamroll all organics, so ideally you want something to help you for when you have to deal with robots. Metathermics helps less than Pyscho or TM in this regard.
I did TC/Meta on my first run and the biggest problems were robots, but Plasma Beam might be enough to pew pew them now.

There are a lot of items which increase skills, so that's where you can save up on SPs, particularly crafting ones, but you probably don't want to bother too much with this on your first run.

You can find Jackhammers or a weapon to deal with rocks later on, you won't need too many explosives as PSI. You will want biology as you need to craft headbands, drugs and it's needed for psi beetle carapace attachments on armor.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

If you have PER >=
you look for

Otherwise take
mushroom drugs
times from the
wizard
in the
middle level
Ok, found the guy. What's weird is that I barely knew of him - only his name in the mobile phone that led to Jon the Beautiful giving out some clues. So I'm quite lucky but it feels cheated. Ah well, anyway, I'll roll with it.
Also beat Carnifex. He was the only gladiator who gave me some trouble.

Tigranes

Arcane

All these things are possible to dip into, but you can also easily survive without them. E.g. Everybody sells TNT. You can also usually buy & loot all the boosters & inhalers you need. It's unlikely you'll max all 3 schools and actually regularly use them, so think about why you actually want a school. Wall can be nice but you can't cast through it so it's often more of an emergency button rather than actual crowd control.

CHEMS

Scholar
A little update on my meme sword build. As of my last post, i was already in 3 digit territory using a shitty electro machete from junkyard. So i cheesed a little the iron head outpost so i could kill MacLander for his Claymore, which was one of the objetives of the build. The sword is pretty good, have some nice damage to it, but that's not all. Good critical bonus, 180%, so critical power really shines with it. And it gives you it's own sweep ability, just like spears build have. You go to the crowd of enemies, sweep, and flurry away. I have hit n run and fancy footwork, so i can kill badies and retreat out of their LOS.

Parabalus, you asked about the damage in comparing to high dex builds, my flurries are dealing around ~700 damage on a crit. Few things survive a claymore flurry. While the non crit hit does not deal much damage, when it crits it's around ~200. Not too shabby. Also, the claymore also has a chance to daze and even stun opponents, adding to the stun chance i already have on cheap shots. When i got the claymore, i just went ahead and killed Balor and all his gang. I'm at lvl 16 now, hit chance got better but it's still a little problematic with some enemies. Sweep helps, and there's nets, tasers and flashbangs just in case. Too bad styg made impossible to cheese Aran's gear with toxic grenades before the end of expedition. Having to finish the expansion just to get his gear sucks.

Cromwell

Arcane
but you never need more than 2 or 3 with you.

Yeah I also read that they should sell it so I must have made a mistake somwhere. I also quit my hammer build because of TNT, I went into the burrower cave and up to level 2. Noticed I needed stuff travelled back and got things, the uburrowers were back and I fought my way back up again, which is fucking annoying against them, then I saw the wall I had to blow up had no tnt and went back down and noticed the burrowers are back and that finally broke me. So I started PSI because I wanted to see these fuckers burn.

Tigranes

Arcane
but you never need more than 2 or 3 with you.

Yeah I also read that they should sell it so I must have made a mistake somwhere. I also quit my hammer build because of TNT, I went into the burrower cave and up to level 2. Noticed I needed stuff travelled back and got things, the uburrowers were back and I fought my way back up again, which is fucking annoying against them, then I saw the wall I had to blow up had no tnt and went back down and noticed the burrowers are back and that finally broke me. So I started PSI because I wanted to see these fuckers burn.

Highly recommend energy pistol builds for melting burrowers (& everything else)

You can also go anywhere else by the way - game becomes extremely open ended at this point, and if you're on oddity you can even gain 2-3 levels just exploring. But nothing wrong with restarting either, it's part of the charm.

Parabalus

Arcane
Where does the 9 AGI jump in front of the JSHQ lead?

Between the plasma turret rows, next to the fence.

Cromwell

Arcane
I have another psi question. right now I am stocked with inhalants but I burn through psi points really quickly, or so I think, on the other hand I dont get that many shrooms and only have two so far (didnt play long and currently try to kill psi beetles for the rescue mission) but need at least 3 to have enough mats for only one inhalant. It seems the points I burn getting the shrooms will be more than what I get in return? Or is this just an early game problem?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom