Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

razvedchiki

Erudite
in the past i tried to clean depot a relying on my current build, but the best way is to buy molotovs/caltroops/traps and have the mutants rush you while you have saturated the area infront of you with fire/caltroops. works all the time.

CHEMS

Scholar
Welp, this run ends at depot A. I don't know how you would even cheese this with traps, the dogs and mutants are so dense and they scurry around so chaotically I can't set a single one before getting bumped, and obviously combat with even one acid mutant is impossible. I'm sure people have beaten hard and dominating with knife builds, but I have trouble imagining how.
Why brute force your way through Depot A? Just hack, pick and stealth your way in and out...

notpl

Arbiter
Welp, this run ends at depot A. I don't know how you would even cheese this with traps, the dogs and mutants are so dense and they scurry around so chaotically I can't set a single one before getting bumped, and obviously combat with even one acid mutant is impossible. I'm sure people have beaten hard and dominating with knife builds, but I have trouble imagining how.
Why brute force your way through Depot A? Just hack, pick and stealth your way in and out...
There's only two ways forward through Depot A - you either have to go underground and come up through an extremely narrow choke point of mutants (in the extremely unlikely event that I could walk past without any of them bumping, they'll spot a level 10 character regardless of what he's wearing in the time it takes to pass by) or you have to defeat two automated turrets to get the keycard to the main entrance. After several dozen attempts, neither of those things seems possible for this character.

Tigranes

Arcane
I mean, it just seems like it wasn't working out for you this time. No shame, reroll something else and maybe try again later. Depot A is the crucible to see if your build's good enough, really.

60 hacking = turn off turrets, by the way.

There's only two ways forward through Depot A - you either have to go underground and come up through an extremely narrow choke point of mutants (in the extremely unlikely event that I could walk past without any of them bumping, they'll spot a level 10 character regardless of what he's wearing in the time it takes to pass by) or you have to defeat two automated turrets to get the keycard to the main entrance. After several dozen attempts, neither of those things seems possible for this character.
The mutants in Wyatt's area are easily bypassed since they investigate noise. You can throw a grenade and then get past them while they all investigate. The best part is most mutants aren't set to patrol, so they won't move back to their original position. If you can lure them to an out of the way area they'll stay there forever and you can ignore them.
Noise also works for clearing burrower spawn. Adult burrowers don't care about noise but spawn do, so if you throw a grenade the spawn will all run over. And then you throw another and kill them and they can't bother you while you sneak past the adults.

notpl

Arbiter
The mutants in Wyatt's area are easily bypassed since they investigate noise. You can throw a grenade and then get past them while they all investigate. The best part is most mutants aren't set to patrol, so they won't move back to their original position. If you can lure them to an out of the way area they'll stay there forever and you can ignore them.
Noise also works for clearing burrower spawn. Adult burrowers don't care about noise but spawn do, so if you throw a grenade the spawn will all run over. And then you throw another and kill them and they can't bother you while you sneak past the adults.
Oh shit

CHEMS

Scholar
Burrowers can be hard walled by a good energy shield if you can take care of the spawns fast. Eggs are easily destroyed and antidote has no cooldown. As long as your shield is up, they can't do much.

Non related but: shotguns are criminally underrated by underrail players. They all look at the boring ARs, but shotties man... I love shotguns, both IRL and in this game. It's just so satisfying. A made a build with 3 per (sue me) and it's wrecking shit. Decided to do this since i just recently discovered that there's a new belt, commando belt, that benefits versatility builds. Why would i do a versatility shotgunner without that juicy kneecap shot/ambush/suppressing fire? Because i'm crazy, that's why. Short barrel shotgun, i don't need to see you to hit you!

:terminate:

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Sound memey to you guys? There's always a new freaky build on the works at CHEMS' kitchen. :lol:
Because i'm crazy, that's why.
ucYb3zc.jpg

notpl

Arbiter
Well, after metal gear solid-ing the depot this mostly just feels like a traps build, since knives can't kill shit. Am I missing something crucial? A knife build appears to use two separate active abilities and a bunch of stacking damage boosts just to, hopefully, at the end of your turn, make one single attack which does as much damage as a regular hit from any other weapon in the game. I'd do more damage taking versatility and no other firearm feats and just shooting things with a pistol.

Max dex, min str, opprtunist/interloper/sprint/dirty kick/expose weakness/cheap shots/fancy footwork so far.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Well, after metal gear solid-ing the depot this mostly just feels like a traps build, since knives can't kill shit. Am I missing something crucial? A knife build appears to use two separate active abilities and a bunch of stacking damage boosts just to, hopefully, at the end of your turn, make one single attack which does as much damage as a regular hit from any other weapon in the game. I'd do more damage taking versatility and no other firearm feats and just shooting things with a pistol.

Max dex, min str, opprtunist/interloper/sprint/dirty kick/expose weakness/cheap shots/fancy footwork so far.

Post-Depot A you have many ways to stack some crazy damage output with knives. You can rack up crit chance - in some cases to well over 75%, but even at say 50% you have so many attacks per turn with knives it's a bonanza. You get unique weapons with special effects (one thing you can do, for example, is to set up Bio infection with the Claw, a fist weapon that a knifer can use well, for huge % increase to damage taken). You can pair Taste for Blood with Free Drones nail bombs or other sources to rack up extra % per hit on bleeding enemies.

That said, a well built knifer on Normal should be doing plenty of damage in Depot A to biological enemies. What kind of knife did you use in Depot A? Are you able to at least knife down a mutie humanoid in a single turn, and if not, what's the roadblock?

The golden rule is that if you're laying 10 traps every fight then your build is severely underpowered for some reason.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
your feats are good, it'll just take time before it feels knives have come online combat-wise - if you're not using one already, get a shock knife, early on they should make you feel better about yourself

notpl

Arbiter

Post-Depot A you have many ways to stack some crazy damage output with knives. You can rack up crit chance - in some cases to well over 75%, but even at say 50% you have so many attacks per turn with knives it's a bonanza. You get unique weapons with special effects (one thing you can do, for example, is to set up Bio infection with the Claw, a fist weapon that a knifer can use well, for huge % increase to damage taken). You can pair Taste for Blood with Free Drones nail bombs or other sources to rack up extra % per hit on bleeding enemies.

That said, a well built knifer on Normal should be doing plenty of damage in Depot A to biological enemies. What kind of knife did you use in Depot A? Are you able to at least knife down a mutie humanoid in a single turn, and if not, what's the roadblock?

The golden rule is that if you're laying 10 traps every fight then your build is severely underpowered for some reason.
How do I stack crit chance with a knife? Right now I'm using the kukri and the shock knife you find on a dead body in that very same depot A (no room for electronics yet) and no, absolutely could not kill an acid mutant in one turn. Three, maybe. Unless you meant the scrub mutants in the first section, in which case yeah, sure. Hard, not normal.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

even on dom knives are fine even early. Crits and cheap shots should be enough to control the battlefield.
I wonder what knife are you using? Most are with max dmg around 11 pre depot A and you need to improve quickly. Preferably get something with 20+. Usually its easy to get good knife via stealing, sometimes even with nice shock(30+ dmg).

Wtih high enough mercantile and some mechanics skill, you can craft decent tichrome knife even before depot A.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
How do I stack crit chance with a knife? Right now I'm using the kukri and the shock knife you find on a dead body in that very same depot A (no room for electronics yet) and no, absolutely could not kill an acid mutant in one turn. Three, maybe. Unless you meant the scrub mutants in the first section, in which case yeah, sure. Hard, not normal.
ahh now I see it. For starters - recklessness. Must pick for every crit focused build. Thats 7% you are missing, another 5% will come from knife crafting(with feat)
Also - dont you feel that sprint + fancy footwork makes little sense?

Sadly, kukri isnt that great... Even before depot A you can find weapon with better dmg range and crit multiplier is non existent.

notpl

Arbiter

even on dom knives are fine even early. Crits and cheap shots should be enough to control the battlefield.
I wonder what knife are you using? Most are with max dmg around 11 pre depot A and you need to improve quickly. Preferably get something with 20+. Usually its easy to get good knife via stealing, sometimes even with nice shock(30+ dmg).

Wtih high enough mercantile and some mechanics skill, you can craft decent tichrome knife even before depot A.
Where would one get tichrome anything before depot A, mercantile or no? The only merchant who even has a mercantile check before depot A is blaine, and he doesn't carry metal plates of any kind.

As a random aside, which core city faction do you all recommend joining for this character? I don't remember the vendors/quest rewards available in each questline or what sort of character they'd be best for.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Where would one get tichrome anything before depot A, mercantile or no? The only merchant who even has a mercantile check before depot A is blaine, and he doesn't carry metal plates of any kind.
blaine special stock includes q80 tichrome

As a random aside, which core city faction do you all recommend joining for this character? I don't remember the vendors/quest rewards available in each questline or what sort of character they'd be best for.
default one is coretech. They got best shock emiters, shield components and so on

Cromwell

Arcane
How do I actually survive using a psi build? I either kill everything quickly or fucking die. Currently I am in sgs with the robots and the second theres more than one or even one I will die. With hammers I just tanked and crushed them and healed up but now I neither have good armor nor enough constitution and stealth only gets me so far and is gay anyways. I would like to play without it but that seems suicidal as psi.

notpl

Arbiter
blaine special stock includes q80 tichrome
image.png

I'd be thrilled if this were so, but it doesn't appear to be.

Anyway, I took your advice and replaced the sprint with recklessness. I didn't realize going in that this would be a "crit build," per se, assuming it'd be more about stacking bloodthirst with vile wounds and other damage vulnerabilities/boosts, but I guess it's both.

CHEMS

Scholar
Sadly, kukri isnt that great... Even before depot A you can find weapon with better dmg range and crit multiplier is non existent.
They are now. Besides the great crit chance, they can apply a stack of expose weakness and cripple. You can get a double EW if you use EW with kukri. Good for bladelings.

How do I actually survive using a psi build? I either kill everything quickly or fucking die. Currently I am in sgs with the robots and the second theres more than one or even one I will die.
Critting. Robots wall psi hard if you're not ready for it. TC is hard countered, can't do shit against them. MT can deal with them if you crit, but after getting plasma beam it get's easier. PK can deal with it somehow when you get proxy and implosion, but the cooldowns will ruin you, there's the shock spell too, i don't remember if it has a cooldown, but the damage isn't great. You could try TM, distortion makes insane damage if you build around it. Overall avoid robots if you're running psi, at least in the early game.

stealth only gets me so far and is gay anyways.
No, you're gay! Stealth is awesome. Not getting hit is a defense tactic, whether dodging, evading or not getting seen. If you're running a conlet squishy cave wizard, you better get that stealth up.

Parabalus

Arcane
No, you're gay! Stealth is awesome. Not getting hit is a defense tactic, whether dodging, evading or not getting seen.

yes but as soon as you atack you will be seen.

You can run conlets without stealth, but having meta knowledge helps there.

That's just how the game is for the majority of builds anyway, if the enemy touches you you're dead. Easy to see later on when you're dealing with packs of >20.

Anyway, I took your advice and replaced the sprint with recklessness. I didn't realize going in that this would be a "crit build," per se, assuming it'd be more about stacking bloodthirst with vile wounds and other damage vulnerabilities/boosts, but I guess it's both.

Even stacking crit you will be able to deal with living enemies easily by right-clicking them soon enough. You get like 35% baseline.

Problem will be robots, they too much DR/DT to deal without.

notpl

Arbiter
How do I find Phreak without losing a point of int from motion abuse? I've never done that questline before and can't figure out how to get into his hidey hole any other way.

Zeem

Learned
How do I find Phreak without losing a point of int from motion abuse? I've never done that questline before and can't figure out how to get into his hidey hole any other way.
The loss isn't permanent anyway, you just have to wait a couple hours in-game and all the negative effects from Motion will go away.

Problem will be robots, they too much DR/DT to deal without.
Yeah, nagas absolutely fuck knives. Without expose weakness you basically can't hurt them, since they have 95% effective mech DR and enough elec/energy DT to completely block electroshock/energy edge. And with expose weakness they're... still incredibly tough. The only feasible way to kill them I can think of is stacking thrown corrosive acid and expose weakness, after hitting them with an EMP so they're forced to stay in the puddle. Or maybe meme shit where you use demolitionist belt to hit one with six EMP mk 3s, though they have so much hp you'll have to do that twice for the kill.
Industrial robots also have massive DR/DT but at least electroshock/energy edge works.
Use night vision and the passage shows up even with 3 perception.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom