Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there a way to work for the black eel gang? I was sent to find drill parts and while I moved through Junkyard I got in contact with the scrappers, hammered some guy for his access card and afterwards was let into depot A which was my goal since I was told I should look there for the parts. After I finished I wonder if there are quests for the EEls since they seem to have their own way into the depot. I read in the wiki you should ask someone about the wormhole and then ask silas to get quests for them but that isnt possible. Am I locked out or am I doing soemthing wrong?
Pretty sure I did exactly the same as you, and I was still able to ask about the wormhole after I'd gained entrance to Depot A. You sure you're talking to the right person? Maybe it's hidden behind another line which leads into it.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Is there a way to work for the black eel gang? I was sent to find drill parts and while I moved through Junkyard I got in contact with the scrappers, hammered some guy for his access card and afterwards was let into depot A which was my goal since I was told I should look there for the parts. After I finished I wonder if there are quests for the EEls since they seem to have their own way into the depot. I read in the wiki you should ask someone about the wormhole and then ask silas to get quests for them but that isnt possible. Am I locked out or am I doing soemthing wrong?
I happened to read somewhere yesterday by happenstance that taking on Scrappers jobs first closes off the Eels, while the opposite does not,
to a point
checking the wiki on the first Eels quest, it mentions
Note: If you will complete Scrappers's first quest before taking this quest, you won't be able to take it anymore

which I can't immediately dismiss as bunkum from experience, because I've always been on autopilot in Junkyard

Parabalus

Arcane
How do you design knives around not having the RNG issue?

Take a standard Expedition native pack of around 10 mobs - depending on how much you crit, especially on the first mob, you will either clear all 10 in one round, or struggle to finish a few and have to retreat.

Having played DEX swords and knives I find them pretty similar.
you dont need to finish each enemy. You also have cheap shots. Enemies that skip round also make it harder to reach you, possibly creating a choke point. You make it sound like retreating is bad. You just move out of harms way and close back in next turn.

Mostly meant that such gameplay isn't unique to swords, it's common across various builds.

Sword really isn't very different from dagger/fist/hammer melee, if you run out of AP in the open you're toast. Play very similarly too.

Less clicking though.
Not on early game, if you count electro ones. More stabby, more shocking, more damage. Also i think it's better for fancy footwork, no? Does flurry gives me 3 MP bonus, assuming all land, or i get only one?

Procs trigger on each hit.

You can just use a knife until it ramps up, all but two feats are shared either way.

Parabalus

Arcane
So far on level 8 with sword build on DOM and i'm already butthurt with the amount of flurry misses even using tasers and nets. Will i miss it less when my melee ramps up? Jesus. So far my build looks like this:

https://underrail.info/build/?CAcHBgkDBAYALQAyEREsMi4tABAjAAAAAAAAAA8AFDkxL8KMBmLfvw

Now i plan getting ripper way later in the game, but i think i made a fucky wucky with the stat spread.

You need 18 in STR/DEX, or stop playing imo. Enemy defenses are too high, you'll be limited to attacking incapacitated enemies.

CHEMS

Scholar
The idea is to rack up crits, but yeah, it's a gimmick one. Running with 5 utility slots to abuse knives, flashbangs, caltrops, fire and grenades. Abusing stealth during combat too. I had amazing luck as i obtained the shuriken blueprint twice in junkyard, so this will smooth depot A for sure. The build won't be optimal at all, but the 7 STR is necessary because i want to try out the claymore and the chainsword.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
At what level do people usually tackle this? I ask because my build is a complete disaster that's trying to do everything and failing at it. I'd like to gauge just how much of a disaster it is.
Did it level 16 full infiltration, with a female character however. Am in a similar situation with my build, spent all my last level up 40 skills point to increase Mind Control just so that I can cast Enrage.
It was probably a stupid idea, we'll see.

I view it as the second-and-final stress test for build efficiency after Depot A.
Well shit then.

CHEMS

Scholar
Soooooo... turns out you CAN now apply poison to your melee weapons. Did Styg make melee actually fun to play? Picture this: you have two knives, one with cave ear poison and another with burrower. Shank with cave ear, then spam burrower knife on your victim. And with that, hypertoxicity actually became a useful feat now. With throwing knives and crossbow high AP costs, you couldn't apply a lot of stacks of poison, but now you can. Heartbreak knives? Now that's a thing. Shut down a group of psionics easily without having to get split spare? Yup. You can too run like a maniac among a group of iron heads, stab everyone with crawler poison knives and run away before the poison do it's magic. I can finally be... CRAWLER MAN! Fucking awesome.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Soooooo... turns out you CAN now apply poison to your melee weapons. Did Styg make melee actually fun to play? Picture this: you have two knives, one with cave ear poison and another with burrower. Shank with cave ear, then spam burrower knife on your victim. And with that, hypertoxicity actually became a useful feat now. With throwing knives and crossbow high AP costs, you couldn't apply a lot of stacks of poison, but now you can. Heartbreak knives? Now that's a thing. Shut down a group of psionics easily without having to get split spare? Yup. You can too run like a maniac among a group of iron heads, stab everyone with crawler poison knives and run away before the poison do it's magic. I can finally be... CRAWLER MAN! Fucking awesome.
yeah, I'm dabbling in poisons too with my gunfu guy - not too invested in it, though, not so much to get hypertoxicity, but definitely investing in biology for poison's utility

of all the builds I've played, crowdcontrolmaxing feels times better than critmaxing

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
problem is, as far as knives go - enemies will die to your crits before your poison can do much. DT lowering poison though does have some uses

Tigranes

Arcane
So far on level 8 with sword build on DOM and i'm already butthurt with the amount of flurry misses even using tasers and nets. Will i miss it less when my melee ramps up? Jesus. So far my build looks like this:

https://underrail.info/build/?CAcHBgkDBAYALQAyEREsMi4tABAjAAAAAAAAAA8AFDkxL8KMBmLfvw

Now i plan getting ripper way later in the game, but i think i made a fucky wucky with the stat spread.

7STR/7DEX is unfortunately extreme gimp for swords (and honestly for any build why aren't you maxing your main attack stat??) - you gotta pick one of these two and max (and then there's a debate as to whether you leave the other one lower or higher).

CHEMS

Scholar
7STR/7DEX is unfortunately extreme gimp for swords (and honestly for any build why aren't you maxing your main attack stat??) - you gotta pick one of these two and max (and then there's a debate as to whether you leave the other one lower or higher).
It's a extremely experimental/meta build. Just got critical power and it's starting to get strong. Don't forget it's a SI build, so damage output is actually pretty good and i'm not even using crafted equipment yet.

Cromwell

Arcane
If I want to buy psi skills, does the game use my effective skill with bonuses or the raw skill out of the points I invested to check if I pass the requirements?

Parabalus

Arcane
It's a extremely experimental/meta build. Just got critical power and it's starting to get strong. Don't forget it's a SI build, so damage output is actually pretty good and i'm not even using crafted equipment yet.

Do you even outdamage 18 DEX with SI active? Did you run the numbers?

If I want to buy psi skills, does the game use my effective skill with bonuses or the raw skill out of the points I invested to check if I pass the requirements?
Raw skill, no bonuses - like feat reqs.

CHEMS

Scholar
Beats me. Never actually played 18 DEX swords before. But tungsten swords offer a 180% crit bonus, before critical power. Later on the game each flurry should be doing some ridiculously high damage. There's Aran sword, too. I had to gimp DEX to squeeze AGI for mobility feats and WILL there for ripper, i should be getting ripper only after getting the DEX veteran feat, so it's pretty much gonna get busted by endgame. Either will end to be an awesome build, or it's just gonna fall flat. But i think it's going to be good. So far i'm able to kill stuff without using a single gas granade the entire run.

BanEvader

I forgot how good this game is.
It's the last game that makes me feel like I'm shooting black tar heroin up my veins when I play it.

Parabalus

Arcane
Beats me. Never actually played 18 DEX swords before. But tungsten swords offer a 180% crit bonus, before critical power. Later on the game each flurry should be doing some ridiculously high damage. There's Aran sword, too. I had to gimp DEX to squeeze AGI for mobility feats and WILL there for ripper, i should be getting ripper only after getting the DEX veteran feat, so it's pretty much gonna get busted by endgame. Either will end to be an awesome build, or it's just gonna fall flat. But i think it's going to be good. So far i'm able to kill stuff without using a single gas granade the entire run.

Sure, but DEX increases base damage - the stuff that gets multiplied by crits. For similar reasons Onslaught spec > CP spec.
And if you drop SI you can pump DEX to max, that's why I asked.

I wouldn't drop AGI any more, even 6 if pretty painful since no FF.

When I did my sword build I was even unhappy with 7 STR, from a power perspective, but there's just something cool about decapitate.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Let us know how it goes. I'm skeptical that it'll do enough damage, but it'll be interesting if you find that it does enough to sail through DOM.

Dropped the hammer tank, I just cannot into hammer tanks. Triple tungsten for ~75% DR then Conditioning, Stoicism, but it's still not enough for me, especially since a non-crit hammer tank maxing STR still isn't doing a lot of damage. Maybe just the way I play.

Running Plasma Beam Boy for the second time, and realised how to reroll for the psionic mentor drop:
  • Earliest place, accessible right after Depot A, is obviously the 'Jump In' caves near Rail Crossing.
  • There are two zones where the caves can spawn: one is directly next to the train station (where you enter Oculus), the other is one zone next to that (where you enter Hanging Rat). For the first one, Jump In appears on the lower left corner; for the second one, it's near the top right.
  • Each zone rolls when you first enter it, so you can save before you enter for the first time and keep trying. I'm not sure, but it feels like the random seed generation is somewhat dependent on time or something, so instead of quickloading and entering 50 times I would shake up when I enter.
  • When Jump In spawns, there are (at least?) 3 possibilities: a water-filled domain with invisible dwellers, a square cave with a time-frozen explosion, and a winding cave with plasma beam. Obviously, this means that when you are rolling the first Jump In zone, it's choosing between three, but if you've already rolled one and are rolling the second, it's choosing between two.
  • So I tried getting the first Jump In (water cave), then saved, then rolled for second Jump In, and after a few tries getting the square cave, I did get the plasma beam cave.
However, the cave is filled with beam-firing goliaths, so probably well nigh impossible to actually get it right after Depot A. And you need level 16 to use the beam anyway. But this route exists if you don't want to wait until Tchortists steal the cube, because given that I tend to skip late game in my runs now, that's 2/3 of the content done. But if you're the type to go all the way maybe it's fine.

Last edited:

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Taken up the game after a two weeks break. Realized I was level 13, so much for my previous post. I was therefore level 11 or 12 when I sneaked through the Gray Army Base.

Finally went up to Core City. Was hoping for quick story advancement but it looks like that once again I'm gonna do errands for every other small chief. Average Gangster level is refreshingly low after my time tacking Ironhead and death stalkers, furthermore my level 14 got me Force User and I bought TK proxy, so my psionism is back on track. Feels good to one-shoot idiots. Still not sure how manageable unarmed fighting can be against any kind of armored target, but going an average 50 damage per punch now helps solve light problems.

Parabalus

Arcane
Finally went up to Core City. Was hoping for quick story advancement but it looks like that once again I'm gonna do errands for every other small chief.

It exists, but hard to find - you can skip the small chiefs at no penalty, the opposite even.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
It exists, but hard to find - you can skip the small chiefs at no penalty, the opposite even.
Good to know. I'm not interested playing in Gorsky's fantasies. Still probably gonna have to choose between the three big fishes there I guess. If not, I wouldn't mind a small clue on where or what to look for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom