Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Respectfully, Roguey, why not pay 10 dollars and try the game yourself? If you can pay 10 dollars to visit a devolved website full of degenerates, then you can pay the same to try out the most apex game in decades. You'll be able to form your own opinion about the reasons the game is shit and should have been developed by Sawyer rather than just having to ape the logic of the derailed.

Maybe you can come up with something better than "the font is too small"/"why can't I tranq dart 5 people per turn?"/"the guy said northwest but I only have a compass and not a map 0/10". To be honest, I invite some well-structured criticism because everything so far has been barely above mewling, the most significant complaint being that "the writing could be better."

As always, I'll play it when it's finished. I have a few other things to occupy my time with until then (especially if Shadowrun Hong Kong: Commentary Edition and PoE 3.final drop before that happens).

oneliner

Educated
Hello i got an error
p0SU5Uv.png
- what should i do ? I tried re-install .Net , VC++ , XNA etc but still :(

I am using GoG version.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think he is only talking about removing grenade cooldowns, not all cooldowns. Many cooldowns in Underrail make sense.
Except it still puts psi users at an unfair advantage, because you would have to waste 50 ap to throw another grenade, whereas a psi user could use other spells (or even throw a grenade) between waiting out the cooldowns on fireballs or cryo orbs. Again, how do you balance grenades - a non-psi area of effect weapon - against psi abilities, if you heavily restrict one,but leave the other as it is?
And how would that be different than now when they can also throw a grenade and wait for 4 turns before throwing another one? For Psi little difference, for guns + no grenade feats little difference if combat last up to 4 turns but they can throw grenades from all utility slots immediately if they want and so can anyone.
Grenade focus would have more grenades to throw during same combat and would be on par with Psi users.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
- No map (why?)
Because fuck you, that's why.
Well... a map system was in the "maybe" basket for years. Even shortly before the beta/release there were plans for a geneforge-style node map, but in the end it didn't work out. It's a long story.

What about having just crude hand-drawn maps in game? Something like these:

myst_maps_viii_by_nhava.jpg
9688054-treasure-map.jpeg

It'd strengthen the immersion and help have at least some kind of understanding of the layout of Underrail. Many games that have a more complex map have also had these types of complementary hand-drawn maps precisely to strengthen the immersion (Morrowind comes to mind).
I'm not sure how you suppose to make a whole Underrail map on a piece of toilet paper. People are complaining about a world map, and the world is really big, so I don't really think that approach would work in this game. Moreover, Underrail is fairly advanced technologically, even if some of the technologies were forgotten. Paper maps aren't really suitable for immersion in this game in my opinion. At least not for the world map. It could have worked for different zones like Depot A (like if you found some maps from old documents), but layout for separated levels is usually fairly simple (at least I haven't encountered anything mind blowing so far).

I said maps, plural. Not one map of the whole game world but maps that hunters or traders have drawn to make their lives easier. They're not even supposed to be precise. Or if you want a more high-tech alternative, simple floor plans in a computer database will also do the trick.

+10 immersion unlocked with very little effort.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Holographic 3d underrail map would be preferable, as many maps are not connected on the same depth level.

Like a wrist mounted projection with the section you are in highlighted in a different color.

Why.jpeg

Learned
I accidentally picked the wrong feat and didn't realize it until much later. I there an editor I can use to amend this error?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I have yet to see anyone explain why the inclusion of some cooldowns is objectively bad, particularly in the context of Underrail.

It's for the same reason it's bad everywhere else. "Feeling artificial" is only scratching the surface on why cooldowns are bad.
Here's one: They're supposed to stop spamming of powerful abilities, right? Of course the ONLY POSSIBLE WAY to do that, thank god someone invented cooldowns, gaming didn't exist before that!
Well, cool, guess what? You don't spam the same ability every turn, hurray! Instead you spam the same 3 until the first one cools down and you start over.
Now, that doesn't happen all the time in Underrail, but it's not the cooldowns that give the tactical options in this game. On the contrary. It's the diversity of tools available, of the system and of the enemies. The cooldowns are there to cover for where the game lacks.

And that's understandable. It's a job of a few people. And the game is still great fun despite this. It could have just been better and I don't understand why the mere mention of anything wrong with the game gets some people in a blind rage and start with dumb shit like:

Yeah, no shit. It's a game. Otherwise everyone would spam Last Stand. Go outside and pick real fucking mushrooms for total imershun.

Jesus christ, why is it that there are these sudden invasions of retardos? It's like they're coming out of the woodwork at certain times.

You fucking imbecile, if you don't want players to spam something that would break the game then don't do something that would break the game if you spam it.

You imbecile fucktard.

marux

Augur
- No map (why?)
Because fuck you, that's why.
Well... a map system was in the "maybe" basket for years. Even shortly before the beta/release there were plans for a geneforge-style node map, but in the end it didn't work out. It's a long story.

What about having just crude hand-drawn maps in game? Something like these:

myst_maps_viii_by_nhava.jpg
9688054-treasure-map.jpeg

It'd strengthen the immersion and help have at least some kind of understanding of the layout of Underrail. Many games that have a more complex map have also had these types of complementary hand-drawn maps precisely to strengthen the immersion (Morrowind comes to mind).

uNMs9OU.png

Feeling the immersion? ye, me neither.
now draw your own fucking map.

Ironmonk

Augur
So, I'm trying to buy the house on Core City, but I didn't found any clue on the wiki about it... I already won the Invictus title at the arena, joined Coretech and did a few quests for them, but the guy that sells the house, Jyles, don't have the dialog option to do so (I asked him before, but he did tell that he couldn't sell)... what I'm missing? Do I need to finish the quests for my faction before I can buy it?

mike73

Novice
Jesus christ, why is it that there are these sudden invasions of retardos? It's like they're coming out of the woodwork at certain times.

You fucking imbecile, if you don't want players to spam something that would break the game then don't do something that would break the game if you spam it.

You imbecile fucktard.

I don't want players to do shit. Your misguided anger amuses me. I even called some people over and we all had a good laugh at your expense. There, there, everything's gonna be a-OK.

marux

Augur
So, I'm trying to buy the house on Core City, but I didn't found any clue on the wiki about it... I already won the Invictus title at the arena, joined Coretech and did a few quests for them, but the guy that sells the house, Jyles, don't have the dialog option to do so (I asked him before, but he did tell that he couldn't sell)... what I'm missing? Do I need to finish the quests for my faction before I can buy it?
yes, you receive the house after doing some quests for coretech

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's gotten SUPER catty in this thread lately.

At least the mystery of "What is an RPG?" has finally been solved! An RPG is a game with no cooldowns, crisp extra-large sans serif fonts, an automap, fast walking speeds, and quick travel.

Fortunately, one visionary company has gathered numerous genuine RPGs together into an accessible, sensible format.

Fry

Arcane
Cooldowns "feel artificial", but turn-based gameplay - widely considered around here to be the only acceptable option - does not? *snigger*

Cooldowns can be good. Cooldowns can be bad. It depends how they fit into the systems of the game in question. So far, I see no one making a convincing argument for why they're a problem in this game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah brah, I should be able to throw five grenades while the enemies stand there motionless. As long as I can throw as many grenades as I want, it feels natural and not artificial at all.

blamzooie

Educated
Yeah brah, I should be able to throw five grenades while the enemies stand there motionless. As long as I can throw as many grenades as I want, it feels natural and not artificial at all.
You can have a maximum of 4 grenade slots in the Utility Belt. I guess you can store the last one up your ass?

mike73

Novice
Destructoid Review:

Complaining about no map and a not good journal. 7.5/10.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-underrail-328021.phtml

"Home Under Da Riles" I wish I stopped reading after that.

"It works well enough, but the flat writing lacks the creative spark that made those older games stand out, igniting imaginations to fill the gaps where primitive graphical engines couldn't provide the details. As it stands, UnderRail's world to me is less an intriguing setting than a series of cave labyrinths filled with mannequins." This proves the jap only looked at screenshots and listened to the popular opinion.

Lhynn

Arcane
You can have a maximum of 4 grenade slots in the Utility Belt. I guess you can store the last one up your ass?
Every slot can hold several grenades.

meeb93

Literate

You imbecile fucktard.

Or umm... maybe let players use the thing but don't let them spam? Why is that option so bad?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom