Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

meeb93

Literate
Cooldowns are objectively bad because in 95% of situations they feel artificial, gamey, out of place while in 90% of situations they could have been replaced by a better solution. This has already been pointed out a few times by now.

Given that I'm playing a computer game... who the fuck cares.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
ACjbPnN.png
kmK6x7v.png
nSeM0MY.png
yU31una.png

lDv3GCL.png
2VwnvgC.png
ymPzLgK.png
d60tx3E.png

j6omFVJ.png
uj9TRbr.png
B8QpYPN.png
aFIJj6X.png

Eq0QzCb.png
VUwq8F7.png
OmbuIem.png
43QcJoW.png

Ds7nzLp.png
YUnqONv.png
zaqYVfE.png
c8Ca6rB.png

JQrMkyB.png

Third row from top, first women from left - looks like some Hollywood actress.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Cooldowns are objectively bad because in 95% of situations they feel artificial, gamey, out of place while in 90% of situations they could have been replaced by a better solution. This has already been pointed out a few times by now.
If you are complaining about abstractions for being too abstract in a game from a genre where such abstractions are common at its very core, please leave this site.
I'd rather have cooldowns instead of having to deal with grenade spam like I'm playing Call of Duty. For non-combat stuff like Stealth Mode, cooldowns do annoy me, but for all combat-related aspects I can accept cooldowns, as the game has been properly balanced around them.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
ok how about this: you can store only one grenade per quick slot. if you used it and want to use another of the same type, you need to spend the 50ap cost first. Better belts let you keep a bigger amount of stuff in one quickslot. Problem solved. There's litterally a thousand screws at a dev's disposal to finetune a grenade's balance w/o having to use cd.

For grenades I would consider a minor change:

- Cooldowns for grenades begin at the end of the current round instead of on use (easy change allowing for two in one round without significant logic change)
- Second grenade requires an adrenaline shot to use

meeb93

Literate
My character turns black and shadowey when going into stealth mode. How gamey and utter shit.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
BUG

I can't repair the furnace nicknamed Gloria to kill The Beast. Talked to Bernard but no option about repairing the furnace popped out. Also I have a high skill in electronics so I should be able to repair it myself.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Just used the wizard's detect invisibility aka carpet bomb the area with fireballs...still works like a charm! This game is awesome.

ArchAngel

Arcane
To be honest, that hopper quest should be purged from the game. It's like a tax to get to the good stuff.
Not sure. It seems to be a basic intelligence test just like depot A is basic build test.
And people seem to fail at it. And then come to the forums to complain about it with realising they are just marking themselves as idiots.

In that case, it should be replaced with a basic mathematics question, which is probably more entertaining.

Cooldowns are not great systems but they work fine in Underrail. My only complaint is out-of-combat cooldowns. You can't get rid of them entirely because they are necessary when you're running away or sneaking around, etc, but it is annoying when in very safe situations.

I wonder if you couldn't just have pickpocket, lockpicking, etc. be instant if you are not in stealth, as well.
Math test? No it is not. When I went to do the hopper quest I also found that guy that is fishing and smokes cigarettes. Also found Psi beatles near by. Unless the math test would be done by a guy standing where hoppers are.
Also the extra hoppers you catch can be sold to anyone that sells food like the Junkyard bartender.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
To be honest, that hopper quest should be purged from the game. It's like a tax to get to the good stuff.
Not sure. It seems to be a basic intelligence test just like depot A is basic build test.
And people seem to fail at it. And then come to the forums to complain about it without realising they are just marking themselves as idiots.

Oh I see, you need stupid things in games to feel superior if others complain about those things being stupid. Seems retarded, but what do I know.

marux

Augur
has anyone mentioned yet how terrible the steam achievements for this game are?

cuz they are
no one gives a fuck about achievements

ok how about this: you can store only one grenade per quick slot. if you used it and want to use another of the same type, you need to spend the 50ap cost first. Better belts let you keep a bigger amount of stuff in one quickslot. Problem solved. There's litterally a thousand screws at a dev's disposal to finetune a grenade's balance w/o having to use cd.
how about you imagine cooldown is the time it takes to get another grenade out of your belt? same thing.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Managed to complete Depot A just before the patch, and didn't had any problems with it. Maybe that's because I encountered siphoners earlier, and was able to make a good leather armor from their arses, resistant to acid. Not sure what that nerf is about, but I don't think that was really necessary. Casuals will suffer anyway in this game.

Siphoner leather is sometimes sold in shop in starting station (Agriculture lvl).

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, no shit. It's a game. Otherwise everyone would spam Last Stand. Go outside and pick real fucking mushrooms for total imershun.
My character turns black and shadowey when going into stealth mode. How gamey and utter shit.
Everything stops when I enter combat, how gamey and utter shit.
If you are complaining about abstractions for being too abstract in a game from a genre where such abstractions are common at its very core, please leave this site.
So many times the same stupid fallacy, on a site where everyone is regularly trying to point out the hardest how Fallout 3 world does not make sense. Reducing physical well-being to one single number is an abstraction. Not being able to throw a specific grenade because you just threw the same type while being perfectly able to throw one of a different kind is stupid.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Guess I'll be asking a question for a change: Is there any way to change portraits mid-game without the use of third-party software? If not, which third-party software should be used?

ghostdog Neat portraits, bro.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I can kind of understand the complaints about cooldowns, at least for some things, because otherwise the game design is obviously coming from a simulationist perspective. Stats bonuses make sense (no soul powah guns), bandages cannot heal critical wounds and minor bruises (over 85% health) heal by themselves. You get penalty when moving with ranged weapons or when enemy is in melee range. Slower weapons like crossbows take more AP to use than guns, projectile weapons have projectile speed that makes sense. Stealth makes sense most of the time, you even got accuracy penalty based on how much light is in squares your enemy is standing in.
Then grenade cooldown makes no sense from a simulationist standpoint. I can understand how it makes some people OCD to fire up.

For fixing it that suggestion about limiting grenade numbers per utility slot to 1 is probably the best one. It can still be used by everyone, that grenade feat that reduced cooldown to 2 rounds can be changed into allowing you to have 2 grenades per utility slot and the feat that lets you equip items from inventory for less AP would actually be taken by people. Although that belt that lets you carry 4 items would let you use 4 grenades in one turn which would still probably be OP.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I meant like a visible outline that visually distinguishes the corpse you are pointing at from the identical corpse right next to it

did not have problem with that even then looting pile (4+) of Ironhead corpses.

It would not be a spiritual successor to Fallout without the Entangled Bodies Problem.

I have the same portrait as Jack Quicksilver! MAH IMMUERSHUN!!

Made some quick and dirty portraits. Tried to fit the setting but also added some for fun.

link: https://www.mediafire.com/?52c2o0vkwt75392

Preview:
ACjbPnN.png
kmK6x7v.png
nSeM0MY.png
yU31una.png

lDv3GCL.png
2VwnvgC.png
ymPzLgK.png
d60tx3E.png

j6omFVJ.png
uj9TRbr.png
B8QpYPN.png
aFIJj6X.png

Eq0QzCb.png
VUwq8F7.png
OmbuIem.png
43QcJoW.png

Ds7nzLp.png
YUnqONv.png
zaqYVfE.png
c8Ca6rB.png

JQrMkyB.png

This is fucking amazing!

These are indeed amazing, but fuck me, there's no way to change portraits in an existing character right? Underrail save files also don't seem to take kindly to notepad++.
Yeah probably not. I had a glance at the game files and it seems almost everything needs microsoft game studio (or whatever it's called) to extract/open/edit them. Styg could probably answer this.

ArchAngel

Arcane
And people seem to fail at it. And then come to the forums to complain about it without realising they are just marking themselves as idiots.

Oh I see, you need stupid things in games to feel superior if others complain about those things being stupid. Seems retarded, but what do I know.
It is too late to pretend you didn't fail at basic intelligence task. No amount of word twisting will help you now.

BUG

I can't repair the furnace nicknamed Gloria to kill The Beast. Talked to Bernard but no option about repairing the furnace popped out. Also I have a high skill in electronics so I should be able to repair it myself.
Have you done the other shit in the Foundry first? Normally you have to get the info on how to kill the Beast from Ezra by then (which requires you to kill the bladelings and take the shards to him I think).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom