Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Ok, so again, don't get me wrong, as a whole, I really like Underrail, but here and there, it really shows the lack of experience on the dev team.

In Expeditions, finding Abyssal Station Zero is such a clusterfuck. Quest tells you to go to L2, there is nothing there. Thinking it's the same shit as some other zones in Expeditions before, I tried to explore around it, thinking there is a back way in or something. After wasting hours of time and clearing all zones all around, nothing. Finally got annoyed and looked it up online: holy shit, so the L2 thing means nothing by itself, you gotta find 20 other things around the whole giant map, and put it all together based on some snippets you find in different places.

The biggest problem with this is that this is completely different from the rest of the game. Underrail is not a hand-holding RPG, but it's not exactly an investigative/thinking game either. The vast majority of the time you are just exploring around and killing shit. So how do you jump from that to suddenly having to put hints together from around the map to progress in a core quest?

Really stupid change of pace.

ciox

Liturgist
Ok, so again, don't get me wrong, as a whole, I really like Underrail, but here and there, it really shows the lack of experience on the dev team.

In Expeditions, finding Abyssal Station Zero is such a clusterfuck. Quest tells you to go to L2, there is nothing there. Thinking it's the same shit as some other zones in Expeditions before, I tried to explore around it, thinking there is a back way in or something. After wasting hours of time and clearing all zones all around, nothing. Finally got annoyed and looked it up online: holy shit, so the L2 thing means nothing by itself, you gotta find 20 other things around the whole giant map, and put it all together based on some snippets you find in different places.

The biggest problem with this is that this is completely different from the rest of the game. Underrail is not a hand-holding RPG, but it's not exactly an investigative/thinking game either. The vast majority of the time you are just exploring around and killing shit. So how do you jump from that to suddenly having to put hints together from around the map to progress in a core quest?

Deep Caverns already threw "Open the Metal Gate." at you, and DLC is inspired by Deep Caverns, it is what it is.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What in the actual fuck, dude. Abyssal Station Zero is like a top5 highlight of the entire game, one of the most atmospheric experiences I've had in a video game.

As for finding the thing, I played the game blind and while I had a little trouble with parts of the sub quest, I don't recall it being frustrating at all. You're just exploring the place and it's usually pretty clear if there's something in a place for you. You also receive the coordinates for that area. In fact, I recall the quest being a bit more direct with specifics than usual for UnderRail quests.

If you're getting frustrated at Abyssal Station Zero, maybe drop the game at Deep Caverns. That place will expect you to do a ton of shit without dropping any hits at all.

I feel like Expedition is them learning the lessons from such failures.

Last edited:

All you need is the submarine, and you get given the coordinates to the area where it is at the same time you get the coordinates to Abyssal Station Zero.
Did you possibly look up how to get the torch and think that was necessary? That does require a lot of running around, but it's completely optional.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Quick question guys, can I quit the Expedition main quest anytime to carry on with the main game ? I'm not having fun in the Black Sea and did kind of burned out after trying to take on the pirates base by myself. I'm fearing that another "the natives attack zomg" event will pop if I leave this forsaken place.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Quick question guys, can I quit the Expedition main quest anytime to carry on with the main game ? I'm not having fun in the Black Sea and did kind of burned out after trying to take on the pirates base by myself. I'm fearing that another "the natives attack zomg" event will pop if I leave this forsaken place.

The timer stops once you're out of the Black Sea or whatever it's called. So yes.

ciox

Liturgist
If you cut it off too soon then Aegis will become hostile, you need to complete the first quest to get that chip or whatever.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If you cut it off too soon then Aegis will become hostile, you need to complete the first quest to get that chip or whatever.

I assumed Hag had already gotten to that point given he said he was getting fatigue from playing the DLC. But yeah

Mauman

Learned
I remember thinking "wtf" when I realized I forgot something, noticed the juice point in the lighthouse, jumped to and from my house to quickly pick up said item, and then promptly realized that I borked the expansion as suddenly everyone tried to perforate me (thank God for autosaves).

ciox

Liturgist
Apparently riftwalking away from the camp before the first talk with the professor and base defense turns Aegis-Sec hostile when you return. Fuck this shit :negative:

You: explore around a bit
Aegis:
l1hs25J.jpg

It's a clusterfuck because prior to Abyssal Station Zero, quests establish a pattern: you are told where to go and you go there, and maybe you have to explore around in that area, but the answers lie in that area. But Clusterfuck Station Zero, the answers lie all over the DLC map, and there is no clear thing tying them together. So as best as I can tell, you are just supposed to explore around the entire map, until you find the submarine in Northeast, coodinates in another map, etc. This is not good design by any means. And I say this as someone who likes Underrail quite a bit as a whole. But this quest is not designed well. I wasted a lot of time fighting through those nasty Fetid Marsh areas around L2, thinking there is a hidden entrance there, but that was a complete waste, and 20,000 locusts died for nothing.

jackofshadows

Magister
Dude. You must have missed some terminal where you get all the relevant coordinates including that security site where in turn you get the relevant info about the submarine and ASZ as well as hints or straight info about it being underwater meaning to do 2+2. Just please don't be retarded, that all it takes. So many of us have played both the OG and the Expedition blind with no problems whatsoever it reads as if you're playing a broken mod or something. This isn't your first no handholding RPG, right?

Dude. You must have missed some terminal where you get all the relevant coordinates including that security site where in turn you get the relevant info about the submarine and ASZ as well as hints or straight info about it being underwater meaning to do 2+2. Just please don't be retarded, that all it takes. So many of us have played both the OG and the Expedition blind with no problems whatsoever it reads as if you're playing a broken mod or something. This isn't your first no handholding RPG, right?

Now you just sound like a butthurt fanboy, who can't take any objective criticism of his game.

FYI, I've completed many games that require actual thinking, unlike Underrail, without looking up online hints, e.g. Ultima Underworld, Anachronox, Arx Fatalis, Obra Dinn, etc. Since you seem to be lacking reading comprehension, let me repeat myself: the issue is the change of pace, the game going from most quests being told where to go and what to do to suddenly being told to go to L2, when in reality, to find Abyssal Station Zero, you have to basically explore much of the DLC map, and find different shit in different places.

jackofshadows

Magister
Nope, it's you who are being retarded. It happens. Getting old, I guess. To think you have to do some exploring in the DLC called Expedition in order to finish it and not having a quest marker when needed. Outrageous, I know.

agris

Arcane
Patron

this is such a classic porky post, it should be printed out and cast into acrylic

Nope, it's you who are being retarded. It happens. Getting old, I guess. To think you have to do some exploring in the DLC called Expedition in order to finish it and not having a quest marker when needed. Outrageous, I know.

You seem upset. I guess you gotta be pretty dumb to think Underrail (despite being a good game overall) requires some skill or something to complete, but then again, you also gotta be pretty dumb to continue to not understand my point, so I guess it balances out. :hero:

this is such a classic porky post, it should be printed out and cast into acrylic

You are not going to cry again, like in the other threads, are you? :lol:

jackofshadows

Magister
You seem upset. I guess you gotta be pretty dumb to think Underrail (despite being a good game overall) requires some skill or something to complete, but then again, you also gotta be pretty dumb to continue to not understand my point, so I guess it balances out. :hero:
Well, it does require some (actual) brains in order to solve its puzzles. Other than than, having decent RPG experience should be more than enough... or not as it turns out?

Speaking of not understanding a point, what you wrote just do not classify as objective criticism by any mark, so try again.

Well, it does require some (actual) brains in order to solve its puzzles.

Maybe if someone has pigeon brains like you. Otherwise, not really bre.

Speaking of not understanding a point, what you wrote just do not classify as objective criticism by any mark, so try again.

What you wrote above cannot even be classified as English language, my slow-witted friend, so how about YOU try again? ;)

It's a clusterfuck because prior to Abyssal Station Zero, quests establish a pattern: you are told where to go and you go there, and maybe you have to explore around in that area, but the answers lie in that area. But Clusterfuck Station Zero, the answers lie all over the DLC map, and there is no clear thing tying them together. So as best as I can tell, you are just supposed to explore around the entire map, until you find the submarine in Northeast, coodinates in another map, etc. This is not good design by any means. And I say this as someone who likes Underrail quite a bit as a whole. But this quest is not designed well. I wasted a lot of time fighting through those nasty Fetid Marsh areas around L2, thinking there is a hidden entrance there, but that was a complete waste, and 20,000 locusts died for nothing.
Expedition tells you where to go at every step.
You start and Aegis tell you to go to the mutie island.
You check the mutie island and report back and the computer tells you where Crimson Meadow/Nexus of Technology are.
You check those and they tell you where the hospital/security HQ are.
You check security HQ and it tells you where Blistering Shores/Abyssal Station Zero are.
You check those and you're done.

You get told where your next objective is every single time. The only way you can have problems is if you go to the security HQ before the hospital, or LemCo before Blistering Shores, but in those cases you should notice you can't do anything pretty quickly and go check the other area you were told about.
I dislike a lot of Expedition's design but it's not hard to find where you're meant to be going.

Expedition tells you where to go at every step.
You start and Aegis tell you to go to the mutie island.
You check the mutie island and report back and the computer tells you where Crimson Meadow/Nexus of Technology are.
You check those and they tell you where the hospital/security HQ are.
You check security HQ and it tells you where Blistering Shores/Abyssal Station Zero are.
You check those and you're done.

You get told where your next objective is every single time. The only way you can have problems is if you go to the security HQ before the hospital, or LemCo before Blistering Shores, but in those cases you should notice you can't do anything pretty quickly and go check the other area you were told about.
I dislike a lot of Expedition's design but it's not hard to find where you're meant to be going.

No, that's not the case. You are right in the first part, that you are told where to go up until Abyssal Station Zero. But I have no idea what you mean by computer telling you. You get your quests from Oldfield and Briggs. They tell you where to go. So up until Abyssal Station Zero, they tell you to go to Mutie Island, then investigate pairs of locations a few times, but then Oldfield tells you to go to Abyssal Station Zero, and the quest log just says go to ASZ at L2. That's it. Nothing about the submersible or Blistering Shores. The coordinates for Blistering shores were displayed to me before that, but I got coordinates for like 20 different things at some point many hours before that, doesn't mean I felt compelled to go to every one.

The issue is not that this could not be figured out if you explore every place you have access to on the DLC map. It's that up until ASZ, quest givers tell you exactly where to go, and you can complete the quest in that local area. But for ASZ, you have to suddenly go to other places across the map. This change of pace either should not happen, or if it happens, it should be communicated to the player more clearly, so you don't end up wasting a ton of time searching for a hidden way into ASZ around L2.

Here is another one to make the fanboys seethe:

If I thought getting to Abyssal Clusterfuck Zero was bad, lol, Persuading Todd shitfest is about a 100 times worse. I was considering just killing him and using the chip that way, but for shits and giggles looked up the correct way to persuade him and his 40 personalities via dialogue. Haha. Why do game developers always go full retard at some point?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
But I have no idea what you mean by computer telling you.
If you "use"-click your radio station, in the "dialogue" menu there is an option to check stored coordinates. This gives you a cheat sheet of locations' coordinates so you don't nave to search blindly. The cheat sheet can be updated with more entries by finding transport tracking data on computer terminals at the various locations. The first is the warehouse underneath the mutants' place, the second that I found was in the Nexus, I think.

If you talk to Yahoda while she is on top of the tower, she describes in more vague terms what you can find if you explore in each direction - pirates south, red reeds east, savages north.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Maybe if someone has pigeon brains like you. Otherwise, not really bre.
Says the guy who cannot figure out even basic stuff (like checking other Lemurian sites for missed hints/clues in order to access another one) by himself and looks it up online. Right. There's no way you solved that musical puzzle alone.

By the way, even if you walked around L2 prior visiting Blistering shores, the hanging Subsphere there with its description was suppose to give you a hint but... then again, yeah. Somehow it's game's fault for not holding your hand. Even if Oldfield would spoon-fed that all to you do you realize that you can betray Aegis anyway? Or the pirates should figure out how to get into ASZ for you as well?

Personally I too didn't like the option to persuade Todd nor did I care about his personalities so I just ended him, yes. Going full retard from the devs would be withdrawing the killing option. Another stellar "objective" criticism example. Better bitch about fetid marsh or something.

ciox

Liturgist
Something made me curious lately, I'll probably make a thread on the official forums later but I'll ask here too.
We all know that your attack range is capped to 13 due to sight radius, so you can't really make use of sniper rifles' range of 20... UNLESS you get vision from a cutscene or something.

So what are all the parts in the game where this is a thing, where you get vision at long range and get to snipe at range 20?
The only one that comes to mind is the Tchort battle, you get vision during the talky cutscene and are able to snipe Tchort from range 20 and avoid most of the tentacles. But there have to be more.

* Ironically finishing off Tchort with a snipe from very long range was always advertised as a cool thing you can do by other players, even though it was always reliant on a special case interaction

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom