Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I find managing crafting components to be utterly tedious, that's my biggest issue with the game tbh

I just ignored crafting like I do in most games... which I think was a mistake to do in this one.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I find managing crafting components to be utterly tedious, that's my biggest issue with the game tbh

I just ignored crafting like I do in most games... which I think was a mistake to do in this one.
Not really you can easily complete the game without it if you have the right build

Oh, I did. It just didn't feel like there was much progression in my gear. I finished the game and Expeditions with the JKK armor.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Oh, I did. It just didn't feel like there was much progression in my gear. I finished the game and Expeditions with the JKK armor.
if you are metagaming, your gear is likely finished by lvl12. On oddity you kind of get to that level for free without much fighting after game opens up.
If you are into crafting it can take a bit longer, but honestly not by much. For example if you rely on crafting nice melee weapon then you are gated by foundry, then you are good to go.
Unless you play some build tight in points that gets high enough crafting late, like around lvls 20.

jackofshadows

Magister
There're also now refurbished weapons now some of them which might carry through the whole game even on DOM I think.

My current build (quite fun), a quick-draw gunslinger:

Strength 5
Dexterity 10
Agility 6
Intelligence 7
Constitution 3
Charisma 3
Perception 11

Skills:
Guns maxed
Mechanics maxed or close - for crafting nice pistols
Electronics a lot of points - for crafting nice pistol electronic parts, e.g. Smart module
Dodge/Evade close to maxed
Lockpicking/Traps/Throwing - decent amount of points
Mercantile - some points for being able to barter for nice components

Feats:
Gunslinger
Recklessness
Paranoia
Rapid Fire
Point Shot
Aimed Shot
Kneecap Shot
Bullet Time
Trigger Happy
Gun Nut
Steadfast Aim
Sharpshooter
Critical Power

Specialization:
5 points in Bullet Time
10 Points in Critical Power

Weapon:
crafted .44 Hammerer with Smart Module and Rapid Reloader - about 24-125 damage, with +52% damage with special abilities, and AP cost of attacks reduced by ~25%, and chance to refund AP with every attack

Armor: just using a galvanized overcoat for now, with a nice shield emitter. Seeker goggles with +12% crit chance.

So the idea is, I have a very high initiative (5 + 10 (Dexterity) + 6 (Agility) + 5 (Paranoia) + 7 (Trigger Happy) = 33), which means the vast majority of fights, I get to go first. This is the quick-draw part.

Then, I can use my abilities to get a LOT done during that opening round. With 10 Dexterity, 32AP for .44 Hammerer becomes 26AP, with Rapid Reloader pistol part, goes down to 19AP, eventually I want to raise Dexterity a few more points and get it down even further. Activating fully specialized Bullet Time reduces AP costs by 50%, so a regular attack costs about 9-10AP, and Rapid Fire (which is 3 attacks) costs 15AP or less. Throw in some Adrenaline, and you can do a ridiculous number of attacks in that opening round before the enemy can do anything.

But then you got the damage. So my current pistol is about 24-125 damage, then adjusted with the high Guns skill, it becomes about 78-267. Most damage is done via abilities (Rapid Fire, Point Shot, Aimed Shot, Kneecap Shot), and the smart module on the pistol increases that by 52% now. Then I already have 37% critical chance now (should go higher later with more equipment/feats). And where this build gets really interesting is the critical damage:

Pistol = +125% critical damage.
With Sharpshooter = +155% critical damage
With specialized critical Power = +265% critical damage

So once you adjust all this in, I've already had some crits for over 1400 damage (after damage mitigation).

Once I add in the leather armor with +crit chance, improve my Seeker goggles to higher crit chance, and get the Scrutinous feat, should be over 50% crit chance, with a crazy number of attacks per round.

The only downside is my build is squishy af. If I don't kill everything that moves in the first turn, I often die.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Kinda cool but very suboptimal build. You could try to pump electronics more (don't max mechanical btw) in order to use amplified lazor/plazma pistols which will give you some really big crits with your critical power investments. Squishy - what did you expect with 3 con and no metal armor? That's fine though.

Kinda cool but very suboptimal build. You could try to pump electronics more (don't max mechanical btw) in order to use amplified lazor/plazma pistols which will give you some really big crits with your critical power investments. Squishy - what did you expect with 3 con and no metal armor? That's fine though.

I am not a munchkin, just into thematically cool builds, so I am not trying to optimize it fully.

Imo this firearm pistol build is much better than a plasma pistol build, because plasma pistols have base 40AP cost, without access to some feats that lower it that firearms pistols have. So yeah, your first aimed shot with a plasma pistol will have insane damage, but then you are pretty much done for the turn. So if there are many enemies (as there typically are in Underrail), you are shit out of luck. A .44 Hammerer build, otoh, combines still massive one shot crits with something like 8-9 shots per turn, making it a lot more useful (as well as thematically cooler, bullets > plasma).

speaking of
without access to some feats that lower it that firearms pistols have.
why not versatility to pump dex to max?

What do you mean? Versatility works on skills, not stats. And with my build, my Dex is going to be pretty high anyway (probably 12-14).

did you consider not doing crafting? there are great options on unique firearms

Haven't seen any unique pistol that's even close to as good as my custom .44 Hammerer with Rapid Reloader and Smart Targeting.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
What do you mean? Versatility works on skills, not stats. And with my build, my Dex is going to be pretty high anyway (probably 12-14).
The point is you can lower your Perception and put those points into Dexterity instead. This will increase your Melee skill, which increases your Guns skill through Versatility.

Why would I want to though? I don't ever use Melee or Crossbows, so why would I need Versatility? This is the kind of munchkin shit I never get.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Why would I want to though? I don't ever use Melee or Crossbows, so why would I need Versatility? This is the kind of munchkin shit I never get.
don't worry about it
many people who figure out the utility of versatility can't fathom builds that don't have it, just tune them out
btw why no temporal manipulation? you got to have it

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
dont listen to normies, there is never need for cave wizardry

PER high enough just for feats.
Guns high enough just for feats.
Max DEX, Max melee(because it scales of dex), with versatility it translates to Guns at high value. No need to even consider wielding melee, but you can.

No, you wont have effective guns higher than Max PER Max Guns character, but!
You rarely max per anyway
With max dex on small guns you are more effective with AP.
You free a lot of ability and skill points(at the cost of single feat)
Can use melee early game <- which I do on dom
Even if guns is lower than theoretical max, you deal more dmg per turn anyway

Well, as I mentioned above, I like to create thematically coherent builds (think LARP) that are still (relatively) powerful. I don't like max/min munchkin stuff.

jackofshadows

Magister
Imo this firearm pistol build is much better than a plasma pistol build, because plasma pistols have base 40AP cost, without access to some feats that lower it that firearms pistols have. So yeah, your first aimed shot with a plasma pistol will have insane damage, but then you are pretty much done for the turn.
But there's like, two weapon slots. Catch my drift? Vs highly armored enemies it makes sense even counting w2c bullets.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I haven't played this game for 3 years. I'm wondering if I should do Foudry's quest before getting into Core City, as I did the last time I was playing. I'm currently lvl 11.

Mauman

Learned
Well, as I mentioned above, I like to create thematically coherent builds (think LARP) that are still (relatively) powerful. I don't like max/min munchkin stuff.
Because your ap cost for pistols is tied to dex, not perception. Thus allowing you to tie ap cost AND accuracy to one stat rather than two which allows you to shoot more and more accurately.

It's not the only way to do a pistols build, but making yourself more SAD (single attribute dependent) rather than MAD (multiple attribute dependent) is never a bad thing.

Tigranes

Arcane
Finally trying out HEAVY DUTY with a HEAVY LMG BOY

Once I actually got an LMG (Junkyard), hoo boy. Everything in Depot A just disappears. I've run dozens of builds and I can think of very few that could just stand in front of an entire map's worth of muties, just stand there and destroy. Just had to spend every single penny on ammo.

I suspect this will continue to shred then run into resistance challenges etc later game, but we'll see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom