Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Smerlus

Educated
I think i prefer backing projects that don't release at all.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Otherside Boston hired a new Senior AI Programmer: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gareth-cox-2308835/

Previously worked at Rockstar New England over 11 years:

I primarily worked on the animal behaviors and animation for Red Dead Redemption. I worked on enemy AI combat and animation for Max Payne 3. I implemented human locomotion avoidance and vehicle navigation for GTA 5.

Somehow they've been hiring much needed experienced and specialized programmers.

He left Otherside and joined People Can Fly as Lead AI Programmer.

Senior AI Programmer

Company Name OtherSide Entertainment
Dates Employed Jun 2019 – May 2020
Employment Duration 1 yr
Location Concord Ma

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
its amazing he could find a job after (lack of) ai in underworld ascendant.

He joined after Underworld Ascendant and supposedly was working on the unannounced stealth game. (Also as noted he worked at Rockstar over 11 years, I imagine it would triumph whatever he did at OSE in his resume.)

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looking at Rattower’s Monomyth and how a one man developed game is shaping up as the true spiritual successor of the Ultima Underworld and Arx Fatalis games that this pos game never even in a million years could become... by far the worst game (that was actually released) of the Kickstarter games

Any day now the physical rewards that I paid for will arrive. I can feeling in my bones.
Your optimism is admirable, that's all I can say to this.

Now do you want the physical rewards knowing the build quality of the game? You will end up with arts and crafts products of a just graduated high school class that Paul Neurath contracted after he met them on their school field trip to the bottle shop, where he coincidentally was contracted to enter the bottle shop for them in exchange for their labor on the physical rewars of Ascendant.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looking at Rattower’s Monomyth and how a one man developed game is shaping up as the true spiritual successor of the Ultima Underworld and Arx Fatalis games that this pos game never even in a million years could become... by far the worst game (that was actually released) of the Kickstarter games

It's even worse than the vaporware releases that will never come.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Any day now the physical rewards that I paid for will arrive. I can feeling in my bones.
Your optimism is admirable, that's all I can say to this.

Now do you want the physical rewards knowing the build quality of the game? You will end up with arts and crafts products of a just graduated high school class that Paul Neurath contracted after he met them on their school field trip to the bottle shop, where he coincidentally was contracted to enter the bottle shop for them in exchange for their labor on the physical rewars of Ascendant.

I want the physical box so I can complete an 'Ode to shit-tier nostalgia KS failures' video.

At my cottage I have an antique claw foot bathtub that I have repurposed as a fire pit. My intention is to film and release an artistic wilderness ritual burning of unopened UA and T:TON physical rewards.

:shredder:

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've started playing it recently. I think for the short demo it is quite decent and fun. The only problem is that this is not a demo, this is full game. And we will never get the real thing. Clearly they faced some serious problems during development, and never had a chance to finish it.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
You'd think it would be as simple as giving money to talent. Unfortunately, kickstarter really proves that it's rarely as simple as that. There's just too much grifting involved and playing on the nostalgia of well-meaning people who grew up with the games the kickstarters promise to capture the feelings of. This ruins it for a lot of the others on kickstarter who are in a position where they have aspirations and would just like a way to work a little bit longer on them without having to return to the grind. There are a lot of people like that, but stuff like Underworld Ascendent paints it all in a bad light. Fuck comfortable out of touch boomers like Warren Spector and Garriott for exploiting their fans.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think in the end the Kickstarter bubble burst because for all their “we want creative freedom” we all need someone to curb our enthusiasm and focus our projects into something feasible... that is why writers have publishers, actors have agents and businesses have accountants; you need someone ANYONE outside of the nostalgia bubble willing to crack the whip and bust some skulls to get things done
Creativity is nice and all but being able to deliver results is better for long term business

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I have the game but I just haven't fucked around with it. Maybe I'll watch some vids on it if any have come out lately. Can you finish it? Swore I read you just as well kill shit instead of alternate weird ways. I'd like a bigger monitor when fucking around with these types of games. Tired of small shit.

Will it work on my smart phone?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I keep thinking of the authors back in the 80s and such like the guy who made Faerytale. What was his budget? Seems like it was mostly him doing everything. Sooooo what's the excuse for today?

grimace

Arcane
Sir-Tech.png

szWKppY.png

Robert Sirotek

@rsirotek

·
Feb 28, 2015

I just backed Underworld Ascendant on
@Kickstarter
http://kck.st/1yH1wpv Should be an excellent production.
http://t.co/RTm0BBrePR?amp=1

Robert Sirotek could have steered this ship to a successful product launch.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Zork was basically the first big adventure game and every adventure game afterward was basically riding one entry or another's coattails. Return to Zork even beat Myst to the punch of FMV adventure games. Its like complaining about Battlezone or Berzerk.
I think in the end the Kickstarter bubble burst because for all their “we want creative freedom” we all need someone to curb our enthusiasm and focus our projects into something feasible... that is why writers have publishers, actors have agents and businesses have accountants; you need someone ANYONE outside of the nostalgia bubble willing to crack the whip and bust some skulls to get things done
Creativity is nice and all but being able to deliver results is better for long term business
In these cases I feel like no one on the development team knew when to stop, which is a combination of what you're saying and awe of the nostalgia man.
And then there's cases like Jane Jensen, where even the best wasn't good enough, and Frederic Raynal, where the end result was just eh.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Zork was basically the first big adventure game and every adventure game afterward was basically riding one entry or another's coattails. Return to Zork even beat Myst to the punch of FMV adventure games. Its like complaining about Battlezone or Berzerk.
In these cases I feel like no one on the development team knew when to stop, which is a combination of what you're saying and awe of the nostalgia man.
And then there's cases like Jane Jensen, where even the best wasn't good enough, and Frederic Raynal, where the end result was just eh.

I was just thinking about it beating Myst as I watched the trailers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom