Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:kfc:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant/posts/3011080

Parchment Maps

Hey UA Backers,

While we are very excited to say that shipping for UA has begun, we did quickly realize an oversight in the campaign that we are hard at work fixing now.

The Legendary Hero tier and tiers above it were meant to come with a Parchment Map. FanGamer is already hard at work getting those manufactured and sent out. Those that have already received their orders will be receiving their maps separately, and those orders that have not yet been sent out by FanGamer will receive their maps with their games as originally planned.

If there are questions about orders, please send us an email at support@otherside-e.com so we can best assist you.

Thank you for your patience with this!

OSE Team

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Just close down already. Do they have no dignity at all? After all this? If I were them I wouldn't know where to hide out of shame.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
So is this more System Shock or more Legend of Grimrock?

This is more a tech demo a few third-year students threw together over a year, so that scammer daddy Paul Neurath had something to release to the suckers (myself included) who gave him a million dollars on Kickstarter.
And to put the cigar on the wound one guy is making the exact thing most people wanted using fucking magic or something.

Can't we just convert this thread to a "Monomyth"-thread to finally end this spook?

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So is this more System Shock or more Legend of Grimrock?

This is more a tech demo a few third-year students threw together over a year, so that scammer daddy Paul Neurath had something to release to the suckers (myself included) who gave him a million dollars on Kickstarter.
And to put the cigar on the wound one guy is making the exact thing most people wanted using fucking magic or something.

Can't we just convert this thread to a "Monomyth"-thread to finally end this spook?

Monomyth already has a thread, no need to taint it by associating with this shitshow

Glic2000

Educated
I'd actually compare Underworld Ascendant to Trespasser. Same idea: spout tons of crazy ambitious ideas and make everything "physics based" with no idea how that would translate into actual proper gameplay.

I just looked back at the Kickstarter. I can't believe that was back in 2015! And they said the game would be FINISHED in 2016! Unbelievable. I feel like that was an eternity ago.

I do have the Collector's Edition on the way. I'll probably throw that in the trash, or just do a return to sender on it, because OF COURSE they'll probably ship it via some courier that charges an extra $50 in brokerage fees (as I'm in Canada). That would be the perfect ending to this disaster.

I just noticed the KS mentioned a "boxed version" and a "collector's edition" boxed version. But I suspect they are the same box.

I like how their apology is basically “Oh, er... sorry! We thought that you guys would have forgotten or not cared about the map since the game turned out to be a massive pile of shit! Our bad! We have now contracted someone to make a totally-not garbage-tier paper napkin map. It’s going to be awesome, trust us. Would we lie to you?”

Truly aspirational snake-oil salesmanship.

Glic2000

Educated
I really think they were trying to avoid producing the physical goods at all. Like if they dragged it out long enough, people would just forget or quit asking about them.

Nyast

Cipher
It's hilarious to think they've been "hard at work" for... YEARS now... and this is the end result for the physical goods.. and even then, they messed it up. At least it's consistent with the game itself, which is also the result of "years of hard work".

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Again, Sam, who is no longer an employee of OSE, is doing much better job at dealing with people's frustrations. (Just in case, I'm not slandering against the new CM, who is part-time and likely has nothing to say about the matter than what she was told. It's the higher-ups, specifically Paul, hiding behind all this time.)

Catching up on the posts from here, even I'm a little confused; how was the map lost? FG didn't ship all of the pieces of the CE's at once?

Yeah, I know the exact map it was supposed to be. Fangamer should have had it in the folder we delivered even before we left, but I understand there were a lot of moving pieces

I'm trying to recall what happened for the Box vs Disc Case. KS backers can rightfully be angry about this.

nobody pays 200$ for a DVD case

I completely understand that, and I think you all have the right to be angry. I know for sure that when I joined in 2017, nothing had been started on any of the KS rewards; I had to spearhead, manage, and run most of that. From asset preparation, negotiating dev time, etc

So when the KS was initially launched, I am 100% certain that when they said "CE box" or "boxed edition," they were also thinking about true Boxed editions, like the old Thief and Underworld games

I think overall it's a shame that there were a lot of physical and digital promises made in the KS that just... weren't thought of once development began. Or couldn't be worked on. Certainly a mix of both.

For example, by the time I joined, it had already been decided there were no customizable Avatar players, which meant we had to really think about how to rectify the figurine reward. I don't remember the details of the Box -> Case, or whether that was a dev or a FanGamer limitation, unfortunately

My biggest hesitation is that I genuinely don't remember what the cost estimate for the boxed editions were. If I had to wager a guess, a part of it was our demand, and that we weren't interested in selling more CE's than what we would give to our KS backers, which would incur a large cost

I wonder if the Ascendant novel in hardcover will exist

It should? I remember negotiating with Fangamer for those too

I also like pointing that we were promised a novel but got a novella
That's a whole other story that's definitely NDA'd

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Just send me something official, anything at all, so I can burn it on video. Frankly, the more pathetic it is the better.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Just send me something official, anything at all, so I can burn it on video. Frankly, the more pathetic it is the better.
Got a PO box? If not, rent one for a month and make the address public. Collect all these physical goods and make a proper pyre.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Got a PO box? If not, rent one for a month and make the address public. Collect all these physical goods and make a proper pyre.

I will do that if things start to ship. I'll fill this old claw foot bathtub. I have an unopened T:TON collectors box to throw in too.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
:lol:

2020-11-09-12-34-30-Copy.png

Curratum

Minute of silence for the fellow codexer whose name I sadly forgot and who bought my KS key ahead of release, with my full disclosure that the game is one huge scam. Managed to cut my losses to just 5 dollars thanks to that brave and honorable man. :salute:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I wonder if they will ever send the collector's edition out. I would have assumed no, but seeing as they managed to get those copies out the door, I wonder. I expect it to be crap if it ever gets made.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Boston studio's new hire Madeleine Shopoff, wears a few hats: https://www.linkedin.com/in/madeleine-shopoff/

Technical Designer - Narrative & UI/UX

Company Name OtherSide Entertainment
Dates Employed Oct 2020 – Present
Employment Duration 1 mo
Location Concord, Massachusetts, United States

Narrative design, tech design, and UI/UX for an upcoming unannounced title.

She previously did narrative design and implementation on Ken Levine's super secret project and UI at Bungie.

Resume from her website mentions their new project is actually based on an existing IP: https://www.madeleineshopoff.com/resume

fy0lfUC.png

What would it be? Underworld: Thick as Thieves? ... Thief 5?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom