Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Unhealthy interest in sales figures

Discussion in 'Iron Tower Studio' started by t, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    I hope this game will do ok out of ongoing word-of-mouth sales and I think it has a shot. Not because everyone likes it, but because people tend to either really like it or really dislike it. It's not a "meh" game which people don't bother mentioning. Some of the adverse comments I've seen on other sites descend into rants about the tough combat, unforgiving design philosophy and how fans of this game supposedly think they're more monocled and old-school and shit like that.

For small games without advertising budgets it's good to be talked about, even if opinions are polarised. Perhaps people will end up trying the demo to see what the fuss is about.

^ Top  
  2. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Bundles - probably never. They are only good for greatly inflating the numbers of copies sold. 75% off - not for the next 2 years. Once you go with 66% off or more, you never recover (i.e. never sell even half of what you used to sell a day at full price). We aren't in a rush to drop the price plus we've just launched, so it's way too early to talk about it.

Too soon. It's my understanding that the bulk of your sales happens between sales. Like Alexander said, offering 50% didn't clear their wishlist, it only grew because the sale sent a message that the game is close to being really discounted, which means that less people will buy it throughout the year.

So, we won't do 25-33% off this winter sale and we definitely won't do 50-60% on the next summer sale. 75-80%? You do it and you're done selling above that level.

• Brofist Brofist x 15
    ^ Top  
  3. Aterdux Entertainment Aterdux Entertainment Developer

Aterdux Entertainment
    I am not sure that is the smartest way of doing things but that's up to you. Just bear in mind, now, shortly after release while your sales didn't drop yet and there is enough interest, putting your game on sale might be easy. Later on, when sales drop (5-10 a day) it might be hard to convince Steam to feature you in any way.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    We never had much luck with the front page, so for us it's a random factor we can't rely on.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. SniperHF Arcane

SniperHF
    I can see it both ways. The game would probably sell very well 50% during the Christmas sale + repeat day finale. Selling more of AoD now could boost sales for the crawler.

But the decision to make the dungeon crawler could factor into AoD's pricing strategy the opposite way. Try and co-promote them around release of the crawler by discounting AoD heavily then. If timed right that might line up for next years Black Friday sales based on the dev timeline VD has mentioned previously.

^ Top  
  6. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I get not doing 50%, but 25% off seems like a small enough discount to do even this winter sale.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Aterdux Entertainment Aterdux Entertainment Developer

Aterdux Entertainment
    You are not losing anything proposing a featured sale for Christmas. The game will not be discounted if they don't select it... You can even put 0 for duration discount and then what you want for featuring discount.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Lurker King Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Well, imagine that VD discount the game at 60%, but 90% of the new buyers ask for refund. That sucks. On the other hand, VD can see this as an opportunity to increase awareness about his studio and the next game. The fact that he will obtain less profit from AoD in the next years is compensated by the exposure and new buyers for your next games. But then again, players who only buy at 60% are not exactly the type of faithful players that follow projects for years. So, I'm undecided...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. you know what time it is Arcane

you know what time it is
    Even though in my (CIS) region price seems okay even without discounts, some folks from EU and US were whining about it being relatively pricey. Knocking it down to 15 bucks on winter sale might do the trick.

^ Top  
  10. HobGoblin42 Self-Ejected Patron Developer

Self-Ejected
    Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
    Blackguards, Amnesia and Grimrock are possibly good examples why you shouldn't sell out your indie game too early (and too often). I believe, those sell-outs massively hurt the initial sale of their sequels at full-price. Of course, numerically you sell many copies at 66%/75%/90% sales, but at what costs in long-term?

Edit: AoD at RPS.com http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/19/age-of-decadence-impressions/ , should boost the sale by a few hundreds copies

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  11. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    AoD should suspend selling copies on STEAM the reason being that they are sold out at the moment and time is needed for... stuff. :)
    That would get some attention and everybody will flock to buy a copy of this greatly sought after gem!

^ Top  
  12. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Seconded. When you see a game being sold for 5$ you will want to wait for another sale and won't pay anything more.. At least I behave that way :P. Don't go below 15$, this game won't age much and will become a legend.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. likaq Arcane

likaq
    What's worse, they will first wrote negative review and then ask for refund.
    Discount the game by big % and you have guaranteed swarm of negative reviews followed by refunds by people who buyed only because sale was good. Without trying the demo or even reading about the game.

Yes and no, agressive sales will increase awareness about ITS and their next games, but at the cost of hurt the initial sale of their next games at full-price.
    And let's not forget about race to the bottom syndrom.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Amasius Augur

Amasius
    It would be stupid to treat AoD like all the shovelware on Steam. While it doesn't have massappeal it is unique even nowadays where we have plenty of indie RPGs unlike a dekade ago when VD started development. Jeff Vogel learned his lesson with steam sales (check out his blog posts) and unlike Iron Tower he releases a full RPG every year, so you can always get his older games cheap instead of buying his newest RPG for 20 bucks. And his older games are better anyway.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. Lurker King Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Guys, you should also vote on Goral's list at GOG to increase the awareness about the game:

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Actually, the problem with sales now is that every expects every game to get discounted shortly after launch. Even not going on sale for a while would not prevent people from waiting for it.
    I think it is better in the long run not to discount the game too early, but with the recent sale frenzy, it will take quite a long time for people to realise that this game will remain at a fixed price.

^ Top  
  17. Cadmus Arcane

Cadmus
    fuck the sales imo, Blizz never do discounts and shit and it works for them :)
    As the others have said, this is not some shit shovelware and fuck those retards who complain about the price while swallowing Ted Howard's latest cumshot. I wouldn't listen to them at all.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Sitra Achara Arcane Patron

Sitra Achara
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Vince, you should swim against the current and raise the price to $735.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  19. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    AoD is a niche game for a niche group of gamers. I have my doubt that going for the broad appeal approach will be having much effect. So fuck sale discount~

^ Top  
  20. Western Arcane

Western
    Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I'm not sure Steam has ever done anything right by AOD, they didn't feature early access launch, I don't think they featured launch or even bothered to change the game from early access to full release, no reason to think they'll feature it for a sale.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm amused by this new phenomenon of Steam games that are actually afraid to sell more because they might get bad reviews from players who don't get it.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  22. HobGoblin42 Self-Ejected Patron Developer

Self-Ejected
    Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
    A new phenomenon that is called full refund with full access to Steam ratings. Contribute a shitty rating while getting your money back, an excellent environment for trolls and of course asshole competitors. So now, as developer, you better watch out what kind of gamer you actually lure into your game.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  23. likaq Arcane

likaq
    small fix.

^ Top  
  24. Cadmus Arcane

Cadmus
    I don't understand the mindset of VD and some of the cheap shitslurpers here. "might get it if the price drops"
    wtf
    You slave on this game for 12 years or something, it comes out amazing and pretty much revolutionary in some aspects and you're afraid to charge more than 30 bucks for it because it's ugly?
    Are EA afraid to charge 60 bucks for their latest call of idiot because they know it's got shit gameplay? Surely not. They already got an audience that will buy the game no matter what.

You already got a tiny audience that will buy it also.
    I mean, I kinda get it but it's not right, you know? In terms of scope and complexity, this game is a holy grail for its audience and you act as if you were some shit vapourware indie hipster flash developer when the product is actually objectively outstanding. In a better world, you'd charge 60 dollars for this while call of duty would cost 15 because it's a rehash of a rehash of a rehash that was shit in the first place.
    Supply and demand and whatnot but come on=/

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. likaq Arcane

likaq
    Only edgy pixel-art lovers and/or retards can find AoD ugly.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.