Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unhealthy interest in sales figures

Cadmus

Arcane
The game is fucking ugly,deal with it.
You want a good looking game made by amateurs?

Pity the game kinda sucked ass,still good-ish for a playthrough..

Yeah, Inquisitor was horribly shitty but these visuals will never get old, same like the IE games or Fallouts.
I imagine it would have been easier to market AoD if it looked like this.

Cadmus

Arcane
Cinemax are incredibly shit and should really be considered amateurs but I suppose you are right in the proper sense of the word they are not.

The Inquisitor team:
Johan Justoň – scénář, režie a duchovní vedení
Michal Pavlíček – programování
Vít Kovalčík – programování
Vojtěch Pecka – grafika
Martin Vocet – grafika
Jan Koníček – grafika
Marek Strnad – animace
Jan Velát – návrh herních pravidel
Ondřej Doležal – návrh herních pravidel
Erik Codl – umělecký návrh, grafika
Martin Linda – hudba
Matěj Syxra – zvuk
Michael 'Touchwood' Klánský – zvuk
Lukáš Macura – produkce
Marek Nepožitek – produkce
Michal Pecka – best boy

3 graphics and 1 dedicated animations guy, oh well.

likaq

Arcane
Inquisitor
good looking game

iWKad22.jpg

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Did you even played the game wankstain?

Are you telling me that this is not a good looking game?
30ht2tw.jpg

Do you have eyes ?

likaq

Arcane
Looks better than let's say Serpent / Vogel games / bg 1 but still meh.
Giving Inquisitor as a example of good looking game made by amateurs instead of let's say Stasis is:

:deathclaw:

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Cinemax are incredibly shit and should really be considered amateurs but I suppose you are right in the proper sense of the word they are not.

The Inquisitor team:
Johan Justoň – scénář, režie a duchovní vedení
Michal Pavlíček – programování
Vít Kovalčík – programování
Vojtěch Pecka – grafika
Martin Vocet – grafika
Jan Koníček – grafika
Marek Strnad – animace
Jan Velát – návrh herních pravidel
Ondřej Doležal – návrh herních pravidel
Erik Codl – umělecký návrh, grafika
Martin Linda – hudba
Matěj Syxra – zvuk
Michael 'Touchwood' Klánský – zvuk
Lukáš Macura – produkce
Marek Nepožitek – produkce
Michal Pecka – best boy

3 graphics and 1 dedicated animations guy, oh well.

Actualy 4 graphics you missed Erik Codl – Art design, graphics

Cadmus

Arcane
Actualy 4 graphics you missed Erik Codl – Art design, graphics
Yes, I saw it later.
I didn't think that it would require so many people to produce the graphics of this quality so I guess I should give AoD even more of a break for that. Not that I really care, but for a game being pretty on top of all the other good things is only a positive.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Yes, I saw it later.
I didn't think that it would require so many people to produce the graphics of this quality..

Have you even played it? I mean, like Baldur's Gate, Inquistor has plenty of characters, assets and pre-rendered backgrounds. More than 10 artists worked full-time at Baldur's Gate back then, so those 3-4 guys who made the Inquistor graphics were exceptionally efficient in my book.

Cadmus

Arcane
Have you even played it? I mean, like Baldur's Gate, Inquistor has plenty of characters, assets and pre-rendered backgrounds. More than 10 artists worked full-time at Baldur's Gate back then, so those 3-4 guys who made the Inquistor graphics were exceptionally efficient in my book.
I played about 3 hours only because the game is really bad, but I admit I had no idea how many people something like this takes to produce.

SniperHF

Arcane
I'm generally for the refund policy, but it's really too bad Steam doesn't have a more prominent spot for demos. The link is way down the store page and doesn't have any graphics. For a game with a demo as extensive as AoD's, a refund shouldn't be possible.

Perkel

Arcane
I'm generally for the refund policy, but it's really too bad Steam doesn't have a more prominent spot for demos. The link is way down the store page and doesn't have any graphics. For a game with a demo as extensive as AoD's, a refund shouldn't be possible.

yeah i didn't know AoD even had demo from game store page.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I came to this thread to enquire about sales but found a discussion occurring as to the quality of the graphics.

Carry on.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I can't find it in the thread, but what was the outcome of this? And your other advertising in general.
The instant (impulse buy) effect was so-so (keep in mind that the game was still in early access). The long term effect (someone checked the site, maybe tried the demo, bought the game a month later or on the next sale or decided to wait until the game is done, which is more likely) is nearly impossible to measure. If you're interested in the stats for this particular ad*, 102,735 impressions, 1,825 clicks, which comes to 1.78%. In comparison, when we run the "visibility rounds" on Steam, we get 0.60-1.14%. The difference is that on Steam the impulse buy ratio is very high and any exposure results in a sales spike, which creates a strong impression that it's the exposure on Steam that matters.

* 3 other ads, same site:

1) 101,412 impressions, 2,660 clicks
2) 308,980, 526 clicks
3) 361,071, 1,381 clicks

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Now that you've completed the game and released it, have you done - or do you plan to do - any advertising? Or are you limiting it to Steam?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Now that you've completed the game and released it, have you done - or do you plan to do - any advertising? Or are you limiting it to Steam?
Haven't done, not planning at the moment. In general, we do rely on Steam because it works better than all alternatives combined. If we had a mainstream-friendly game, advertising would have made more sense. I'm not sure it works well with 'niche within a niche' games.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
We tried some advertising too but the conversion doesn't justify the costs - we only got back 50% in sales on what we spent on advertising.

The best was indeed Steam featuring during the release - we got 22m impressions which resulted in over 100k of clicks. Steam got us some extra visibility which really helped a lot.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Vault Dweller Would you shed some light on how accurate the Steamspy numbers are on game sales. Currently for AoD it is: 25,275 ± 3,506. I don't want you to tell the exact number, but I was wondering if the Steam owner's number is really between 22-28.000?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom