Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unicorn Overlord - Tactical RPG by Vanillaware

Crayll

Liturgist
The biggest power jump is promotions. I was having a hell of a time fighting through the desert area missions (with no items and trying to limit map valor actions), but decided to do a few promotions for the last fight. That immediately made it a cakewalk. I think if you delay when you promote and limit who you do it for, you could keep some of the challenge.

Reinhardt

Arcane
fuck. guess having prince in army is unavoidable. had to include him to talk to berengaria. and then he leveled up while protecting her...

8K7MlCD.png

made special unit with chloe, two generic soldier girls and one free spot for various vip pipo required for in-mission talks.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
broke through initial ceiling. hardest part was bruno mission. shitty spearchuckers alone just can't beat his massive selfhealing. reloaded it 3 times from the beginning. i could reach him easily with the help of angel, but then it's just a fucking wall, i can kill his party but not bruno himself, so i had to go and do exp stage first. beating him unlocks hiring gryphon girls in a fort so it was absolutely worth it. with new flying team cleared yahna and berenice recruitment quests, hammer girl next and then scarlett.
I saw him being obliterated by a poison dagger.

Reinhardt

Arcane
i wouldn't call it "obliterated". nigga has 100+ hp and heals himself twice for 40 hp after being hit. poison hits him for 30. with only ochlys being able to use sword and everyone else is just cheap shitty spear soldiers it's not enough to finish him in one battle. and if he can facetank even one attack next battle he's as good as new with his selfheal being twice as strong as your average attack.

don't forget stamina too. i can't just throw my only squad capable of dealing some damage time and time again at him. and time limit.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
can someone who's played this game rate it 1 out of 10 so I can decide whether the hassle of playing it is worthwhile

Reinhardt

Arcane
now i have some proper army and free to do whatever. two main options are pushing through desert for lisa and hilda or conquer central region for melisandre, monica and tatiana.

Vihv8Ql.png

Reinhardt

Arcane
rance xi: unicorn overlord

suddenly when meeting male character option "execute him" looks much more believable.

Falksi

Arcane
Damn, only just stumbled across this and it looks surprisingly good.

Will have to give it a blast at some point.

Reinhardt

Arcane
- spare me good sers, my sister is sick and i need money to save her!
- sister you say?(insert pic of rance when he planning da kunnin plan)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
can someone who's played this game rate it 1 out of 10 so I can decide whether the hassle of playing it is worthwhile
Solid 7. Would be higher if there was c&c or higher difficulty to give the strategy layer more depth.

The only resource I feel constrained by is HONOR.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a solid 8/10 for me. I'm having fun, the game looks and sounds good on top of that.

BlackPlate

Novice
Oh man that 'my sister' line is something else, like you didn't ride up to a town to plunder just moments ago, killing and pillaging villages on the way there. Not even a thief but straight up a bandit, and you expect me to show mercy while we are surrounded by warm bodies.
I'd wager I'm missing a decent chunk of content by not being a saint, with how jRPGs and japs in general handle mercy, but I'll be damned if my kingship is built on these sorts.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Disappointing to hear it's lacking difficulty and there's no branching class paths. I'll probably try it eventually anyways but my hype for this has kinda died. Maybe it'll inspire a copycat that does things right, because the base formula of RTS map control + Turn based squad building is really solid.

mord

Novice
I find fast cavalry unit that rushes the objective coupled with a witch unit that teleports in to be so OP it borders on broken.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
yup overall cavalry is the best unit type, handy to have 1 flyer too can just swap between leader in camps as needed

lategame there are few annoying walls that you cant fly over but can use tele to x location for those

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Disappointing to hear it's lacking difficulty and there's no branching class paths. I'll probably try it eventually anyways but my hype for this has kinda died. Maybe it'll inspire a copycat that does things right, because the base formula of RTS map control + Turn based squad building is really solid.
In fairness, isn't thoroughly mediocre gameplay just as iconic of vanillaware as their artstyle?
But yeah, it is a shame, the game is close to greatness but not quite there.
yup overall cavalry is the best unit type, handy to have 1 flyer too can just swap between leader in camps as needed
Depends. Cavalry is really nice because it's so fast, but they get bodied hard by fliers (thankfully you can outrun them). Infantry seems like the best overall unit type, since they don't really have any specific weaknesses.
Oh man that 'my sister' line is something else, like you didn't ride up to a town to plunder just moments ago, killing and pillaging villages on the way there. Not even a thief but straight up a bandit, and you expect me to show mercy while we are surrounded by warm bodies.
I'd wager I'm missing a decent chunk of content by not being a saint, with how jRPGs and japs in general handle mercy, but I'll be damned if my kingship is built on these sorts.
Yeah, really feels like they were building to some kind of betrayal if you recruit that guy.
last difficulty was available from the start.
Does it make the game harder other than just force you to play more conservatively due to "permadeath"?

Reinhardt

Arcane
Depends. Cavalry is really nice because it's so fast, but they get bodied hard by fliers (thankfully you can outrun them). Infantry seems like the best overall unit type, since they don't really have any specific weaknesses.
that's why you mix cavalry into flyer squads, especially to wywerns. very mobile, thanks to cavalry high speed, deadly in combat, with great opening aoe attack on enemy forces if you have enough valor, which also helps to cross mountains fast by aiming it beyond the obstacle. death from above.
i call it ЗА ВДВ!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
that's why you mix cavalry into flyer squads, especially to wywerns. very mobile, thanks to cavalry high speed, deadly in combat, with great opening aoe attack on enemy forces if you have enough valor, which also helps to cross mountains fast by aiming it beyond the obstacle. death from above.
i call it ЗА ВДВ!
How does mixing cavalry into flyer squads help? While flyer is leader they move slow, while cavalry is leader they can't fly. And switching leader on the field costs a lot of valor (I prefer to deploy lots of squads over a handful of DOOM squads, altho DOOM feels like it becomes more and more viable as the game goes on).

Reinhardt

Arcane
i wouldn't call 1 "a lot". and girl knight with row heal certainly helps keeping your flying girls alive,

Reinhardt

Arcane
and it's not doom stack, it's paratroopers. different roles. cavalry unit is their apc.

BlackPlate

Novice
Does magic/arrow volley support damage scale with how many units of that type you have in a stack? Or is it purely leader's damage?

Reinhardt

Arcane
i heard yes. main damage is from leader but every additional unit adds some more. didn't checked myself tho because i didn't hire mercs in previous playthrough and hero units in both classes are limited.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
i wouldn't call 1 "a lot". and girl knight with row heal certainly helps keeping your flying girls alive,
It's like 2 killed units worth of valor, and the same cost as deploying a whole 'nother squad (ie instead of a single squad swapping in and out of flying, just have a flier and a cav).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom