Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unicorn Overlord - Tactical RPG by Vanillaware

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I think the tendency of people to accumulate a backlog these days is a good thing- it means people are doing less impulse buying of whatever is hyped and trendy, and more informed buying of games with a solid reputation. Cheaper indie games is also not inherently a bad thing; the tendency of game budgets to ballon to retarded levels should have stopped decades ago, frankly. I'd rather have double the actual content in a game than a forest of handcrafted unique bark textures in the opening cutscene or some celebrity voice actors giving a shit performance because they don't respect the medium.
It's not terrible to have a backlog, but it makes the constant sales worse. The idea of actually buying a game at full price instead of "tend to backlog while waiting for sale"/"visit key reseller who picked extra keys during last sale" is only going to get less and less popular. So even if the "normal price" is 20 dollars, the average actual price will be less.

The indie market seems to mostly sustain itself on hopes and dreams right now and I doubt it can last forever.

Machocruz

Arcane
The downside to backlogs is people bitching about having huge backlogs. Boo-hoo bitch, self inflicted gunshot wound.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Yes, the fundamental issue is that most gamers in the West have adopted the bizarre notion that games should be valued according to how much money was spent developing them, rather than a game's quality and duration. All too many people are willing to pay $60-70 for AAA games while insisting that an indie game should cost perhaps $15-20, even if the indie game provides better quality for a similar length of time relative to AAA games. Indie games are intrinsically aimed at a narrower, niche audience, but a good indie game will provide this target audience with the quality it seeks in a manner that cannot be found in AAA games that appeal to a wider, lowest-common-denominator audience.

Meanwhile, digital storefronts have become dominated by deep discounts, training consumers to purchase games ever more cheaply, except for the occasional just-released AAA full-price purchase. This is compensated for only to a limited extent by the tendency of gamers to amass a digital backlog of games, since the backlog consists largely of games purchased for peanuts, when they had their price temporarily slashed during a sale or with a price permanently plunged to almost nothing. Moreover, the accumulation of a backlog simply results in gamers becoming even less willing to pay full price for an indie game, instead waiting until a new release is similarly discounted nearly to nothing.

Codexers should be particularly cognizant that a game's value is determine by the combination of the game's duration and quality for the person actually playing it, who might have tastes that differ radically from the general gaming community.
Bruh if you think that's bad, try releasing an indie book for more than $4.

Also, this is why I like Factorio's approach. One price, only goes up, never on sale.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes, the fundamental issue is that most gamers in the West have adopted the bizarre notion that games should be valued according to how much money was spent developing them, rather than a game's quality and duration. All too many people are willing to pay $60-70 for AAA games while insisting that an indie game should cost perhaps $15-20, even if the indie game provides better quality for a similar length of time relative to AAA games. Indie games are intrinsically aimed at a narrower, niche audience, but a good indie game will provide this target audience with the quality it seeks in a manner that cannot be found in AAA games that appeal to a wider, lowest-common-denominator audience.

Meanwhile, digital storefronts have become dominated by deep discounts, training consumers to purchase games ever more cheaply, except for the occasional just-released AAA full-price purchase. This is compensated for only to a limited extent by the tendency of gamers to amass a digital backlog of games, since the backlog consists largely of games purchased for peanuts, when they had their price temporarily slashed during a sale or with a price permanently plunged to almost nothing. Moreover, the accumulation of a backlog simply results in gamers becoming even less willing to pay full price for an indie game, instead waiting until a new release is similarly discounted nearly to nothing.

Codexers should be particularly cognizant that a game's value is determine by the combination of the game's duration and quality for the person actually playing it, who might have tastes that differ radically from the general gaming community.
Bruh if you think that's bad, try releasing an indie book for more than $4.

Also, this is why I like Factorio's approach. One price, only goes up, never on sale.
Nintendo basically uses this approach as well. There's a reason why they're consistently profitable and why you just pony up if you want what they're offering. Contrast that with Ubisoft that comes out with incredibly expensive shit but it's on sale around 90% of the time and often for 75%+ off.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Factorio is also a really good game which basically invented it's own (sub)genre. Not sure if normal games can expect success from the same formula.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Factorio is also a really good game which basically invented it's own (sub)genre. Not sure if normal games can expect success from the same formula.

A product needs to carve out a niche to be able to demand people pay its price, otherwise they need to pay more attention to what other similar products are doing with price points. If you can get basically the same game for half the price, only the most die hard fan is going to pay what you're asking, whereas if you've carved something out with your art style or franchises, etc. you have more power to bring people in.

notpl

Arbiter

A product needs to carve out a niche to be able to demand people pay its price, otherwise they need to pay more attention to what other similar products are doing with price points. If you can get basically the same game for half the price, only the most die hard fan is going to pay what you're asking, whereas if you've carved something out with your art style or franchises, etc. you have more power to bring people in.
The last game in this particular niche was released in 1999

Zero CHAR

Novice
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Symphony of War is great, but it's turn based.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron

Symphony of War is great, but it's turn based.
I think great is more than a little hyperbolic, but I appreciated it for what it was and tried to be.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I'm still considering it. What is the expected length? My only experience with a Vanillaware game was Dragon's Crown and while I liked it you could see everything the game had to offer within a couple of hours.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm still considering it. What is the expected length? My only experience with a Vanillaware game was Dragon's Crown and while I liked it you could see everything the game had to offer within a couple of hours.
I've read 40-50hrs for main campaign, 100hrs for completionist run.

MerchantKing

Learned
Unicorn Overlord is releasing for Nintendo Switch on March 8, 2024! Wishlist today: https://www.nintendo.com/store/produc...From the creators of 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim and Odin Sphere, Unicorn Overlord shines in combining overworld exploration and an innovative battle system in the iconic Vanillaware style. Traverse the vibrant world, cultivate a grand army with over 60 uniquely designed characters, and grow your renown throughout the five nations in this unique epic fantasy experience!

EDIT: Also coming to PlayStation and Xbox.

Does this game let you poach and sell unicorns?

Crayll

Liturgist
Only have a few minutes left on the demo and there's still 5 days to go :negative:

Having played some more I think Expert is actually a good difficulty level for a first playthrough, where you aren't breaking the game too hard with the Tactics (gambits). There's a few maps even early on that get decently tough with the number of assists and map skills that the AI uses.
Would still like to see a harder mode for a repeat play.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The price tag is expensive, and I expect it to remain high for a long time. Some of these japanese developers rarely do discounts, there's a bunch of smaller jrpgs that never go on sale.

Why they insist on not releasing their games on PC is beyond me.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All VanillaWare titles have been discounted several times in Sweden. Both digital and physical.

Elttharion

Learned
W
This will never be discounted.
Why do you think so? 13 Sentinels is 70% off right now on PS4. Pretty much all Atlus and and Sega games get some good discounts too. Also I have all the other VanillaWare titles on PS4/PSvita and I never bought them at full price.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I think 13 Sentinels flopped a bit, at least initially, so they had to aggressively push the sales to make up ground. Unicorn looks almost a big hit in the making which might stave off sales for a minute. This sudden surge of awesome games is stretching the wallet for sure, though.

Zero CHAR

Novice
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Hope the game sells well enough for the studio to meet sales expectations but not surpass it, I don't want them to start looking for a wider audience or normalfags obsessing over Vanillaware like they did with Atlus after Persona 5.

Reinhardt

Arcane
i doubt george will suddenly stop drawing jiggling breasts. he's clearly man of culture.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom