Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Unknown Realm: The Siege Perilous - an 8-bit RPG for PC and Commodore 64

Saduj

Arcane
How could they just be figuring this out now? Back in the 80's, C-64 enthusiasts only paid for a small fraction of the games they owned. Trading cracked games was a big part of the fun of having a C-64. My family moved when I was around 12 years old. My father had been trading games with his computer club buddies for years before that and I would then trade those games with the older kids in my neighborhood. When I got to the new town, I had a lot of games the local kids didn't have and vice versa. Before long, I had the biggest collection of C-64 games that I knew of. Hundreds and hundreds of games and only a few dozen were store bought. Paying for C-64 games was always the exception.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
You keep a list of the games you bought vs traded? I agree that it was pretty common practice. My cousin did, my pa did, and I did. I took a utility to my middleschool c64 club for programming (basically everyone just played games), and burned copies of what others had (that were often many smaller games on a disk). Later I learned how to make “T-Menu listing of games”. This was the era I played a lot of video games and less rpgs.

shilence

Educated
If I remember correctly I didn't own a single original game.

Oh, and I just noticed that he deleted that last tweet, lol. Glad I saved it.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Reminder that C64 enthusiast "cheapskates" gave Bruce $126,343 for nothing, since his promised game will never be released. I wish I could find cheapskates like that in my life.

Saduj

Arcane
You keep a list of the games you bought vs traded? I agree that it was pretty common practice. My cousin did, my pa did, and I did. I took a utility to my middleschool c64 club for programming (basically everyone just played games), and burned copies of what others had (that were often many smaller games on a disk). Later I learned how to make “T-Menu listing of games”. This was the era I played a lot of video games and less rpgs.
No, I don't have a list and the shoeboxes full of 5 1/4" floppies were tossed decades ago. There were probably cracked versions out there but we tended to buy multiple disk games like the Ultimas and Bard's Tale. Sid Meier's Pirates! was one I know we bought and it was incredible for the time. I had bought the original Wasteland from a local shop knowing nothing about the game. Epyx and SSI were two publishers whose games we would buy because they put out a lot of good stuff. Bruce Lee was a game I got as a gift and my brothers and I loved it because it was a platformer where a 2nd player could take control of one of the bad guys and try to fuck Bruce up. Choplifter was the one game that we had a cartridge for. 4th and Inches was a football game we had bought. Karateka was a martial arts fighting game we had. That's about all I can remember as far as store bought stuff.

I remember that disk copying utility well. And the traded games did tend to be a bunch on a single disk. Jumpman was an early Epyx platformer that my father got from the computer club that I played a lot (Jumpman Jr was not as good). Used to play Summer Games against friends all the time. Forbidden Forest was an early horror type game where you were a guy with a bow in a haunted forest, it had a cool soundtrack and boss fight. Hardball was the baseball game made by the same people as 4th and Inches and I played that all the time. Those were just a few of the favorites I can remember.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Back when gamebase64 had a library that worked I submitted a few titles I had. I made sure I went through all my c64/128, amiga, vic-20, colecovision, NES, game gear, sega cd32x, fairchild, and atari 2600 games and scribbled up a list (noting manual, box, etc if any).

Then I filled that out via emulation.

Submissions were:
All the campaigns made via Adventure Construction set
Maps for Demon Stalkers
Some misc games from the middle school
Memory castle
Dungeons of Magdarr (the sequel to search for Magdarr)

I should have done save files for all the rpgs as well but I had to ship the disks to a fellow at JOLT country then he’d email me the final copies in dsk or w/e format. The demon stalker maps didn’t transfer nor did the Time Warp ACS adventure.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Their PR is still on par with menopausal housewife trying to tease but then screaming rape when anyone gets close.

The only thing they've given anyone to talk about their game is how fucked up their development has been. There has been absolutely nothing about the lore or setting besides "Remember Ultima?" until Twitter serves as the backdrop for them trying to act the main character.

All because they can't post their social media material into a KS update like normal devs, for now at least three years. Even Corven has done better, and that's not a compliment as the dude just speedran this show until it went to divorce.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Anyone counting how many more complex games have started and completed since this “Unknown Realm” has started?

shilence

Educated
Anyone counting how many more complex games have started and completed since this “Unknown Realm” has started?
None. They're all just offshoots of the great Unknown Realm.

yig7ubZ.png

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
How many months / years is this in dev now? Anyone starting a betting ring when/if this gets released or even a real update with progress?

How far can it go?

Maybe this’ll be memed….
Hmmm it’s a start

Last edited:

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
It's actually really sad watching this delusional man scream into the void about how important he is.
Truly the Derek Smart for Ultima nostalgiafags.
I reached the conclusion awhile ago that he's stuck in a "I can't actually implement the game I want on the hardware" mode and is endlessly cycling on it. I went through that myself with ROA for over a decade.

Also, when (not if) Elon finally kills Twitter/X by charging a subscription fee, there will be no social media access point for information on UR except the public Kickstarter board.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What they state and what is are separate things entirely. I wouldn’t doubt it is but if it is all gone, then how are they still supporting themselves?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh fuck. I forgot the Cali locale. Yeah, wanna be a street hobo live west young man… LIVE ON THE WEST COAST!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom