Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valheim - a brutal exploration and survival game - now available on Early Access

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I dunno mang. In my world (4-6 players logging on and off) we basically built one section each. There's one guy who spergs a bit more but overall we have an amazing base because no one has had to build more than what they enjoyed. And it's really quite crazy what the engine is capable of once you really start to you around with the buildings.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I had my first big boat ride last night - ferrying ore off the swamp in the swamps off the West coast of the continent all the way to our base in the East coast. It was atmospheric and fun, but I really can't see myself doing this shit multiple times just to get some ore.

Considering downloading a mod that allows ore through TPs. I know it would be cheating, but it's damn tempting.

I think they need a better long-term fix for the Ore/Teleporting problem. It is the biggest hurdle in crafting right now, IMO.

I had my first big boat ride last night - ferrying ore off the swamp in the swamps off the West coast of the continent all the way to our base in the East coast. It was atmospheric and fun, but I really can't see myself doing this shit multiple times just to get some ore.

Considering downloading a mod that allows ore through TPs. I know it would be cheating, but it's damn tempting.

I think they need a better long-term fix for the Ore/Teleporting problem. It is the biggest hurdle in crafting right now, IMO.
It's just a very artificial hurdle to the next equipment tier. Someone pointed out that most of the game's challenge is derived from these long treks - and I agree to some extent, but these treks should feel organic. This particular barrier feels very tedious and it's not like you're improving your knowledge of the world by making repeat rote trips that take forever just because you need to mule some ore.

One possible solution would be to make the mountain and swamp biomes interchangeable and not sequential, but that would require some work. I don't think simply being able to teleport with some ore would trivialize the game - they could even make it so you lose some percentage of the stacks in the process.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

It's just a very artificial hurdle to the next equipment tier. Someone pointed out that most of the game's challenge is derived from these long treks - and I agree to some extent, but these treks should feel organic. This particular barrier feels very tedious and it's not like you're improving your knowledge of the world by making repeat rote trips that take forever just because you need to mule some ore.

One possible solution would be to make the mountain and swamp biomes interchangeable and not sequential, but that would require some work. I don't think simply being able to teleport with some ore would trivialize the game - they could even make it so you lose some percentage of the stacks in the process.

Or alternatively, require you to build a different kind of teleporter -- like there's a regular teleport portal, and then an ore-enabled teleporter that is harder to build with a cool down of some kind. (possibly with some other restrictions, like you can only build one at a time, something like that). Plenty of creative ways around it.

But I agree with you, this feels like a tedious barrier meant to just make the game take longer. It doesn't add anything.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Maybe having a new crafting item, portal rune, having it require resource from similar biome as ore (tree or mob item) that enables porting with ingots (still have to schlepp over a forge and coal, portals make that easy enough) Then to retain some difficulty make it consumed on use, one rune for each unit/stack of ingots so you have to go and poke things to continue shipping your shiny bricks. That or a rune that makes the wind work for you and not against you *shakes fist at sky*

Trithne

Erudite
is this game even worth getting if you're gonna play it alone?
It's ok, doing things better than ark, in overral less frustrating , less annoyances . For exemple, even if building is a pain, you can just disassemble and replace parts. There's stuff it's doing a lot better , the world physics, the trees , the smoke in the buildings and so on. I am at iron stage now and its quite a chore finding enough crypts to mine iron and ferry it back, a slog if the wind is not behind you. Could be the random map seed fuck up my game too, like most people i play without whatching youtube walkthrough first, consider rivers as your highways, once you unlock bronze nails the ship is decent enough to move around, a good map with many rivers and many ressources especially those fucking swamp crypts are obviously a game changer.
Would be a lot better in a team that's for sure, solo 30 hours in , did 2 bosses only , i am starting to have enough of it already.

I've found that crypts need to be a certain distance from the coast to spawn, so if you've got a swamp that is just a strip of land before it turns into a other biome it won't have any - large inland swamps will be crawling with them on the other hand.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
is this game even worth getting if you're gonna play it alone?
It's ok, doing things better than ark, in overral less frustrating , less annoyances . For exemple, even if building is a pain, you can just disassemble and replace parts. There's stuff it's doing a lot better , the world physics, the trees , the smoke in the buildings and so on. I am at iron stage now and its quite a chore finding enough crypts to mine iron and ferry it back, a slog if the wind is not behind you. Could be the random map seed fuck up my game too, like most people i play without whatching youtube walkthrough first, consider rivers as your highways, once you unlock bronze nails the ship is decent enough to move around, a good map with many rivers and many ressources especially those fucking swamp crypts are obviously a game changer.
Would be a lot better in a team that's for sure, solo 30 hours in , did 2 bosses only , i am starting to have enough of it already.

I've found that crypts need to be a certain distance from the coast to spawn, so if you've got a swamp that is just a strip of land before it turns into a other biome it won't have any - large inland swamps will be crawling with them on the other hand.

It might depend on biome size as I found my first crypt right next to the coast, made it easy pickings, thats the second patch of swamp I found after going a sailing due to my first patch with no crypts being a thin strip of land. While at sea I found the trader and 5 plains from my boat and one other measly strip of coastal swampland devoid of crypts before my first crypt

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Early acces survival with crafting we need more of this for sure can't get enough of that sweet sweet skinner box. Next time you fags want to talk about decline look in the fucking mirror.

warci

Educated
Really don't understand all this fuss about not being able to teleport ore. We just moved 400 pcs of iron with half an hours' sailing. The ship wasn't even half full.
Too much teleporting would really diminish the vastness of the world imo + the sailing is nicely done. Then again, I'm one of those weirdos that likes hauling wood in spintires/mudrunner.

Mortmal

Arcane
Really don't understand all this fuss about not being able to teleport ore. We just moved 400 pcs of iron with half an hours' sailing. The ship wasn't even half full.
Too much teleporting would really diminish the vastness of the world imo + the sailing is nicely done. Then again, I'm one of those weirdos that likes hauling wood in spintires/mudrunner.
yes but its half an hour doing abolutely nothing .And pray the wind is favorable...

typical user

Arbiter
If you think teleport ban on ores is bad then I think you should build second base to mitigate the downtime when sailing. Maybe the game should add more randomized non-combat encounters on Ocean biome.

If we could teleport ores then nothing would stop us from building a teleporter entrance in main base, taking materials to build temporary exit on the newly discovered island. I think building teleporters should be more costly, maybe have a range limitation and tier-system with better versions requiring rare items.

Personally I don't mind this restriction. When I sail back I am excited thinking what I will be able to craft. It's much worse when you die and have to travel back to get lost equipment. But that's the way it is if you die to poison blobs or goblins.

I've noticed the devs recently changed bronze ingot recipe, it requires 2 smelted copper bars instead of 3.

Last edited:
Sailing is probably the best thing about this game, but what Valheim really needs is a bit more encounter variety at sea. I really like chasing those giants serpents with my harpoon. A pity there aren't more beasts or draugr ships out there.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sailing is probably the best thing about this game, but what Valheim really needs is a bit more encounter variety at sea. I really like chasing those giants serpents with my harpoon. A pity there aren't more beasts or draugr ships out there.

Expanding the sea is one of those things coming according to the roadmap.

warci

Educated
pray the wind is favorable...
That's not doing nothing. :M

That's the thing, right: zig-zagging into the wind, watching the weather and time of day change,... it all gives you some downtime after fighting a battle worthy of song! Really sets the mood for me.
Either we discuss what happened, start planning stuff out or we split up. Some guys go through the portal and start prepping for arrival or whatever.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
i reluctantly purchased this to play with a friend.

As I thought, its shit. I even tried to be charitable with it but its just fucking boring. I really dont get how this is had such a big splash when its exactly the same as every other survival game. Allegedly it gets better with more progression and harder enemies, but like im 6.5 hours in and its not got anything particularly interesting going on.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I am about 12 hours in and really enjoying it. It opens up more as u progress, and get access to cooler items, more new materials, better upgrades for everything and better survival traits like HP, stamina, etc.. It gets dang good, even, crawling thru dark, dank dungeons fighting off skeleton warriors and archers who can take your life if you're not careful. brutally ripping them to scattered bones with your upgraded flint axe, grabbing the rare materials they were guarding, going back home to your creature comforts and building up your base more to get better and better utilities. I'm playing solo and there's no respawns (in terms of items in the world, animals and enemies of course spawn), everything "feels" handplaced (dungeons, different biomes, etc..), and little things like putting a deer skin rug in your hovel increases your comfort which bolsters your HP a bunch, add to the flavor of the experience. All in all I'm really digging it and have only defeated the first behemoth monster that the game throws at you. Very interesting game if u give it a chance to develop.

Ironmonk

Augur
I think two things stands out in this game and IMO are probably the main reasons this game is a great success, first is the flexible building system and second and maybe more important: CO-OP

I have played a couple of [single player] survival games and every fucking time there is dozens of topics/posts on steam asking "hey dev, are you going to add co-op?", "pls add co-op", "no co-op, no buy", etc. I guess Valheim proves that at least for survival games, co-op might be a really profitable.

purpleblob

Savant
I'm enjoying it immensely, co-oping with hubby.

It's strangely satisfying doing mundane stuff like chopping wood, mining ores, hunting, cooking etc in Valheim. We just expanded our house and pretty happy with how it turned out.

BUIlJX8.jpg

FWT5vFy.jpg

The world is beautiful despite the pixelated graphics - maybe its the vibrant colour + decent music that really add to atmosphere.

19RXJSI.jpg

O5oi7E3.jpg

We just built a ship and started to get hang of sailing - on our first try, weather turned bad real quick and the ship capsized and we almost drowned lol. But hubby is getting hang of it and it was much better the second time around.

YfXqK6v.jpg

5choyfK.jpg

Combat is simplistic but still fun in its own way
2VnD41E.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom