Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Vampire Syndicate: Gangs of MoonFall - Isometric Cyberpunk Vampire RPG

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
stealing ideas is based and what everyone did until modern copyright law was made
IP laws are stupid

This comment is stupid.
IP laws create natural monopolies, people who like IP laws inherently endorse monopolies existing.

Oh so owning your property is now a monopoly huh? I guess my labor is a monopoly as well huh? Do you have your doors locked on your property rusty? If not then you've got a monopoly on housing, food, heat, etc... Shame that you locked out all those poor homeless people from your house through the use of a monopoly.
How does one own an idea?

One doesn't own an idea. One owns the exact expression of an idea. You really suck at IP here rusty.

Codex Year of the Donut
stealing ideas is based and what everyone did until modern copyright law was made
IP laws are stupid

This comment is stupid.
IP laws create natural monopolies, people who like IP laws inherently endorse monopolies existing.

Oh so owning your property is now a monopoly huh? I guess my labor is a monopoly as well huh? Do you have your doors locked on your property rusty? If not then you've got a monopoly on housing, food, heat, etc... Shame that you locked out all those poor homeless people from your house through the use of a monopoly.

One doesn't own an idea. One owns the exact expression of an idea. You really suck at IP here rusty.
And therefore it is a monopoly.
https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=monopoly
n. pl. mo·nop·o·lies 1. Exclusive control by one group of the means of producing or selling a commodity or service:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fargo was the owner of Interplay that developed Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics. His company made both.

So you're giving Fargo credit for something he wasn't involved with just because he owned the company that produced it?

LEONARD BOYARSKY

Jason and I made the decision, with Tim's blessing, to put "Brian Fargo Presents" at the beginning of Fallout's intro. As far as we were concerned, he let us make this. He provided the money and he provided the space for us to make this game.

TIM CAIN

When Brian first saw it, he said, "Oh, just take my name off that." I was like, "Brian, you gave us three years and three million dollars. I think your name can be on it."

And yet you're also giving him credit for something he doesn't own (Wasteland). :M

Codex Year of the Donut
Fargo was the owner of Interplay that developed Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics. His company made both.

So you're giving Fargo credit for something he wasn't involved with just because he owned the company that produced it?

LEONARD BOYARSKY

Jason and I made the decision, with Tim's blessing, to put "Brian Fargo Presents" at the beginning of Fallout's intro. As far as we were concerned, he let us make this. He provided the money and he provided the space for us to make this game.

TIM CAIN

When Brian first saw it, he said, "Oh, just take my name off that." I was like, "Brian, you gave us three years and three million dollars. I think your name can be on it."
God Bless Todd Howard for creating Fallout.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
IP laws are stupid

This comment is stupid.

n. pl. mo·nop·o·lies 1. Exclusive control by one group of the means of producing or selling a commodity or service:

No, that's not a monopoly. Since there are many books, movies, etc... out there. There is only one specific type of expression that is owned by a person or company. Do you have exclusive ownership of your property rusty? Yes, you have a "monopoly" on your real property. A book etc... are physical properties. I can decide what to do with that property.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

LEONARD BOYARSKY

TIM CAIN

And yet you're also giving him credit for something he doesn't own (Wasteland). :M

Wow look at the strawman Roguey. Take a step back and put the straw down.

Codex Year of the Donut
IP laws are stupid

This comment is stupid.

No, that's not a monopoly. Since there are many books, movies, etc... out there. There is only one specific type of expression that is owned by a person or company. Do you have exclusive ownership of your property rusty? Yes, you have a "monopoly" on your real property. A book etc... are physical properties. I can decide what to do with that property.
Having the power to determine whether someone can make a product because the government has -- through its infinite wisdom -- given you power to do so is a monopoly.

And it's a neverending irony because most of the big-name IPs are blatant copies of existing work. Star Wars is just dune with the serial numbers filed off.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
IP laws are stupid

This comment is stupid.

Having the power to determine whether someone can make a product because the government has -- through its infinite wisdom -- given you power to do so is a monopoly.

And it's a neverending irony because most of the big-name IPs are blatant copies of existing work. Star Wars is just dune with the serial numbers filed off.

So you admit to having a monopoly over your residence. Why don't you share rusty you monopolistic monster? The government gave you--- through its infinite wisdom---power to monopolized your land and other real assets. SHAME ON YOU!!!

Codex Year of the Donut
IP laws are stupid

This comment is stupid.

So you admit to having a monopoly over your residence. Why don't you share rusty you monopolistic monster? The government gave you--- through its infinite wisdom---power to monopolized your land and other real assets. SHAME ON YOU!!!
People are allowed to make residences that are identical to mine.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

But not on your land rusty. Why should you be allowed to build on my land? That's all that copyright does is state that my intellectual property is identical to real property like land. When a work is published it takes on a physical form with an exact expression. So why don't you let people build on your land rusty?

Codex Year of the Donut

But not on your land rusty. Why should you be allowed to build on my land? That's all that copyright does is state that my intellectual property is identical to real property like land. When a work is published it takes on a physical form with an exact expression. So why don't you let people build on your land rusty?
The equivalent here would be your requirement to provide them with a printing press and paper.
You can't own ideas, sorry. Just because the government has told you otherwise does not make it true.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

The equivalent here would be your requirement to provide them with a printing press and paper.
You can't own ideas, sorry. Just because the government has told you otherwise does not make it true.

No, the equivalent is you providing them with your land to build on.

You keep going back to the ideas thing. Do you recall what I said when you asked me that? Let me refresh your memory. You can't own ideas. You can only own that exact expression of an idea. Do you want me to pull up the US Copyright Office and show you that's what it says?

The only reason why you present the red herring of ideas is because you lose on the fact that my exact expression of an idea is real property. It's is my unique plot of land. Why do you want to make me a slave rusty? Why do you want people to steal my real property rusty?

Codex Year of the Donut

No, the equivalent is you providing them with your land to build on.

You keep going back to the ideas thing. Do you recall what I said when you asked me that? Let me refresh your memory. You can't own ideas. You can only own that exact expression of an idea. Do you want me to pull up the US Copyright Office and show you that's what it says?

The only reason why you present the red herring of ideas is because you lose on the fact that my exact expression of an idea is real property. Why do you want to make me a slave rusty? Why do you want people to steal my real property rusty?
If I make my own interpretation of Star Wars using the same ideas as Star Wars, I will be sued.
If this is not the concept of owning an idea, then what would be?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
If I make my own interpretation of Star Wars using the same ideas as Star Wars, I will be sued.

Depends upon on how you built it. Turkish Star Wars is still out there with zero repercussions. In order to lose a copyright fight you would have to copy the exact expression of an existing IP. Not the idea. Ideas cannot be copyrighted, but the exact expression can.

Vatnik Wumao

Depends upon on how you built it. Turkish Star Wars is still out there with zero repercussions. In order to lose a copyright fight you would have to copy the exact expression of an existing IP. Not the idea. Ideas cannot be copyrighted, but the exact expression can.

It's perfectly fine to deal in IP breaching products. Generic medicine is the exact expression of an idea or process, but I'm still free to sell it to you over the internet. If big pharma has a problem with that they can sue me, only problem being I live in a jurisdiction that doesn't honor their IP.

Codex Year of the Donut

It wasn't sued because it was made by turks in turkistan

you can't even use star wars characters at kids birthdays without getting sued lol
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...acters-at-childrens-birthday-parties-1049247/

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

you can't even use star wars characters at kids birthdays without getting sued lol
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...acters-at-childrens-birthday-parties-1049247/

Another strawman rusty since those are copyrighted characters. Original characters on the other hand are owned by you if you create them.

Disknee has been like that since the 1980s and Eisner. He would sue preschools over using Disknee characters all the time.

Codex Year of the Donut

Another strawman rusty since those are copyrighted characters. Original characters on the other hand are owned by you if you create them.

Disknee has been like that since the 1980s and Eisner. He would sue preschools over using Disknee characters all the time.
How is it a strawman if it's central to my argument?

Golly, Disney sure was lucky that IP laws weren't insane when it was founded and was able to RUTHLESSLY STEAL!!!! all those IPs they didn't create but built their company upon.

Codex Year of the Donut
btw
Disney is a company that has amassed its fortunes entirely on the back of public domain material while not a single piece of content produced by Disney has ever entered the public domain in the 90 years it has existed.

The book Pinocchio was based on was 57 years old when they made their movie based on it, fyi.
Alice in Wonderland? 86.
Peter Pan, 49.

So on, and so forth.

If it was good enough for Disney... then why isn't it good enough for Disney?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

How is it a strawman if it's central to my argument?

Golly, Disney sure was lucky that IP laws weren't insane when it was founded and was able to RUTHLESSLY STEAL!!!! all those IPs they didn't create but built their company upon.

So your argument boils down to stealing another person's house and use it as your own? ROFLMAO rusty dude give it up since you're getting pathetic here.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
btw
Disney is a company that has amassed its fortunes entirely on the back of public domain material while not a single piece of content produced by Disney has ever entered the public domain in the 90 years it has existed.

The book Pinocchio was based on was 57 years old when they made their movie based on it, fyi.
Alice in Wonderland? 86.
Peter Pan, 49.

So on, and so forth.

If it was good enough for Disney... then why isn't it good enough for Disney?

There are other versions of those characters did you know that?

Pinocchio was first published in 1883 and has been in the public domain for almost a century.

Alice in Wonderland was first published in 1865. It's been in the public domain for well over a century now.

Peter Pan was first published in 1902 and has been in the public domain for almost a century.

All of your examples have 10+ movie adaptations done for them, including the Disknee ones. Disknee does not own the original public domain characters. They only own their specific copyrighted version. You should actually know what you're talking about rusty before digging out public domain characters to make an argument.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Let's talk about the um, the game Tyranicon

[1]Will graphical fidelity and art style (inside and outside of combat) be in line with gif you posted or something closer to trailer?

[2]Are you one-man-army or there are other Devs that work with you?

[3]Will there be some minimal crime empire management in style of Scarface: The World Is Yours video game?

[4]How much are Humans aware of Vampires' existance and how is hierarchy among Vampires structured? Are Humans just cattle?

[5]What engine are you using?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
JamesDixon You have spent your entire New Year's Eve arguing (often in bad faith) with people online about similarities between vampire tits of two different video games and whether one is copycat of the other. I want you to turn on music from Blade Runner, go under shower and ponder until morning 'What The Fuck Happend With My Life?!'

You have far bigger problems in your life then whether some vampire clan's esthetics and credo are being ripped off, buddy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom