Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bad Sector's post is correct: It's a reasonable adaptation of Damsel's appearance to a more realistic, less stylized graphical style.

No, she is not "realistic".
No, she doesn't look like the old Damsel. How many excuses some of you will make to try to hide the obvious? She was made uglier.

Just to be clear, my original post was only about the nose size, not the entire character. I've already mentioned before that they went with a more realistic style in this game instead of the original's hyperstylized one which, like action comics (and older games which very often had visual designs inspired more by the ideal proportions seen in action comics - this isn't me making this up btw, i have a book from Paul Steed, one of the more known 90s 3D artists who wrote about that in there) used ideal proportions and this is why many characters look prettier there.

I do agree that she looks uglier than the original and that is partly because of the style, but also because she looks like a woman in her 40s instead of the college girl (ie. very early 20s at most) that she was supposed to be. From what i can tell this is mainly because of the visible lines under her eyes and nose/cheeks and the jaw shape being a bit too wide. Lighting doesn't help either, but i wouldn't add those details in the first place for a young character anyway.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Bad Sector's post is correct: It's a reasonable adaptation of Damsel's appearance to a more realistic, less stylized graphical style.

No, she is not "realistic".
No, she doesn't look like the old Damsel. How many excuses some of you will make to try to hide the obvious? She was made uglier.

Just to be clear, my original post was only about the nose size, not the entire character. I've already mentioned before that they went with a more realistic style in this game instead of the original's hyperstylized one which, like action comics (and older games which very often had visual designs inspired more by the ideal proportions seen in action comics - this isn't me making this up btw, i have a book from Paul Steed, one of the more known 90s 3D artists who wrote about that in there) used ideal proportions and this is why many characters look prettier there.

I do agree that she looks uglier than the original and that is partly because of the style, but also because she looks like a woman in her 40s instead of the college girl (ie. very early 20s at most) that she was supposed to be. From what i can tell this is mainly because of the visible lines under her eyes and nose/cheeks and the jaw shape being a bit too wide. Lighting doesn't help either, but i wouldn't add those details in the first place for a young character anyway.
I sort of buy that explanation, but I still say they changed her into effectively a different character. Take Lara Croft. She started off in that very same style you're describing, and, well, I don't like nu-Lara, but she does at least look like Lara in a realistic setting. Maybe it is just they aged her up unwisely, maybe the lighting. Wouldn't be the first time a returning character was poorly introduced. Would you say the differing brow-line falls under that same issue? I'm not an expert, I've just started noticing all the little things recently.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I was a little disappointed in myself when I realized today that I fully expect this game to be bad and will still likely buy it day 1.

compvet24

Educated
I was a little disappointed in myself when I realized today that I fully expect this game to be bad and will still likely buy it day 1.
It is really unfair how I feel compelled to get it, not because of the game itself but because of the game before it. On paper it sounds like a horrible premise and not at all a good way to sell a game, but that is all it has going for it. Definitely won't purchase straight-away. At this point I will be impressed if it is anything but a disappointing politicized mess full of ugly characters and nostalgia.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Damsel 2004:
changing-styles-florence-2-1322664040-view-1.jpg

Damsel 2020:
Florence+Welch+at+the+Evening+Standard+Theatre+Awards+2019+1.jpg

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
IDK if anyone posted here but here:

Damsel in-game model.

Looks pretty good. Maybe the trailer didn't shown a good angle of her or the facial expressions are just shit. Or they just changed mid complaints0

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Would you say the differing brow-line falls under that same issue? I'm not an expert, I've just started noticing all the little things recently.

Honestly, i don't know (and i'm not really an artist myself). It is possible that everything was wrong with the introduction, but personally i've long accepted that i simply do not like the more realistic style in Bloodlines 2 and i just hope that i will find the game entertaining once it comes out despite its stylistic choices (and TBH if i like a game i get used to the visuals quickly anyway).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sooo i was just playing EU4 while listening to some random ghost stories or similars,and just found this chick reading such stories.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2IWtbar5ZtntBTrjJR0Dkg

She does sound similar to deb of night,i am pretty happy about it :). So if any of you enjoy 10Xtype of creepy stories,check her out. Her voice is not as deep as Deb but it is nice.

It is really strange how Deb invokes images of late night radio shows,yet in reality non of the real show talkers sound remotely similar :). It is example of how imagination and expectations are a lot better than the real thing.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I'm not a shill, just a huge fan of Bloodlines and it's awesome that we will be getting the sequel soon. So hyped!

I'm serious, she looks fine and you losers are just trying to nitpick about things that aren't even there. Yeah, okay, maybe the old game had these exaggerated animations that were kickass, but the sequel is clearly going for something more realistic and it looks not just fine but awesome. You guys just whine for the sake of whining, whiners.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom