Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Codex Year of the Donut
The bug could've been bypassed with a single console command without losing any game progress or altering mechanics.
Also, there was a bug with Mandarin obstacle course that had to be bypassed via noclip (one of the doors didn't trigger).

Both bugs don't characterize the general state of the game.
slowly I grew to hate the troika apologists

Cricket McBangle mentioned that Hardsuit had sent them everything in randomly numbered zip files, I would hope that that was done for researching purposes and keeping whatever art they can use, and not trying to actually salvage the code for reasons outlined here.

This doesn't really make sense. Unless HSL build Bloodlines 2 completely differently to Troika, I don't see how a new team should have big issues analysing and reusing the assets! Do you think I knew anything about the game before I started patching? Most of the Bloodlines 1 assets are compressed in VPK archives and I could hardly make out any kind of order either. Also throwing all writing and characters away would mean to loose all the voice-acting which is expensive too...

Yeah they’re not using any of the Mitsoda shit in terms of story. It’s all gone. It’s a completely new story. New characters. Courtney Taylor (and thus, Damsel) is out, I think. Don’t quote me on that. I know The Chinese Room got the green light to overhaul everything and are probably taking marching orders from Paradox a lot better now that Wester can oversee it properly instead of that woman who fucked the company up for a bit.

Even if Hardsuit’s version came out super polished and exactly as they intended, it wasn’t what Paradox wanted. DuskGolem, who kept bragging about how his sister was a junior writer (and most the Junior staff didn’t really get to touch the main story and were pretty much just doing DLC), said that ultimately what got Bloodlines 2 away from Hardsuit is that the two companies had completely different ideas of what the game needed to be post-launch and the future of the Bloodlines IP. It was too late for Hardsuit to shift gears and Paradox had something on their hands they believed the fans wouldn’t like.

Wesp5

Arcane
Yeah they’re not using any of the Mitsoda shit in terms of story. It’s all gone. It’s a completely new story. New characters.

The problem for me is that after seeing what Boyarsky and Cain made out of "The Other World", it probably was Mitsoda's writing and characters that made Bloodlines a classic.

Even if Hardsuit’s version came out super polished and exactly as they intended, it wasn’t what Paradox wanted.

The German producer I became to know at the time said something like this: "The game Paradox wanted in the end, was not the same game they wanted when it was pitched." Which doesn't sound good to me either, because if I understood him correctly and I think he was involved in judging the pitch, the game that Mitsoda pitched was very similar to the original Bloodlines. While the game Paradox advertised with all these different release versions and cut clans and talk about trigger warning wasn't.

Semiurge

Cipher
While the game Paradox advertised with all these different release versions and cut clans and talk about trigger warning wasn't.

The planned trigger warnings really rub me sore. They're something one imagines are found in casual visual novel type games, not action-RPGs like our beloved Bloodlines. Clearly the intended target group was the visual novel consumers.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
While the game Paradox advertised with all these different release versions and cut clans and talk about trigger warning wasn't.

The planned trigger warnings really rub me sore. They're something one imagines are found in casual visual novel type games, not action-RPGs like our beloved Bloodlines. Clearly the intended target group was the visual novel consumers.
I recently played the Destroy All Humans 2 remaster and even that has a trigger warning. Everything is going to have them now.

I recently played the Destroy All Humans 2 remaster and even that has a trigger warning. Everything is going to have them now.
When everything is a trigger, nothing is. They'll just vanish into the background like cancer warnings on packs of cigarettes.

agris

Arcane
Patron
probably for the best, who the hell thought throwing guns at people was a good idea anyway?

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Imma never play one of these gay ass vampire games until we get one where you can play as Tzimisce. It be like all the devs hate fun, forcing you to play as some retarded nobody stumbling through life with no clue what is going on. Origin story time is over and it's time to get real. This turd was flushed and since they were going to make it even worse with thinbluds its fuckin deserved. I haven't played ONE vampire game where you aren't playing as a super faggot and a fish outta water. Skyrim was the closest to getting it right.

0LoJgDK.jpg

TnosyLI.jpg

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Imma never play one of these gay ass vampire games until we get one where you can play as Tzimisce. It be like all the devs hate fun, forcing you to play as some retarded nobody stumbling through life with no clue what is going on. Origin story time is over and it's time to get real. This turd was flushed and since they were going to make it even worse with thinbluds its fuckin deserved. I haven't played ONE vampire game where you aren't playing as a super faggot and a fish outta water. Skyrim was the closest to getting it right.

0LoJgDK.jpg

TnosyLI.jpg
So you prefer your vampires to be more monstruous/demonic rather than seductive creatures of the night?

Can't think of any game that depicts them so.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yeah,by March 2024 no one will give a shit about the game.
If the world doesn't fuckin' burn down by then...

Harthwain

Magister
Highly doubt it.
The constant delays and lack of any serious gameplay has done it for me.
They are making the game from scratch, so we shouldn't expect to see any gameplay anytime soon.

That being said, I doubt we can trust whatever a placeholder release date says anyway. It's an estimate at best or the literal "put in whatever value" at worst.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That being said, I doubt we can trust whatever a placeholder release date says anyway. It's an estimate at best or the literal "put in whatever value" at worst.
I doubt Paradox would agree to a contract that would have them spend an additional five years on it. 9-10 years for a non-indie single player RPG is absurd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom