Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming early 2025

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Dev diary on scripting, I suppose a handful of people might find it interesting https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/...e-bloodlines-2/news/mission-scripting-and-ink
Honestly, these kinds of dev diaries seem more like they're looking for employment - like they're advertising themselves to potential employers: "See, this is what we do, so many sheets, so many things, pls hire".

It's like these people never made video games in their life before and have no idea what people who play them want to see in dev diaries. Or just plain outright don't care, but they have some kind of goalpost set by Paradox to fulfill and they just push out any sort of shit that meets the minimum criteria.

Nobody who knows what they're doing will find these dev diaries impressive (so I guess, most of the industry at this point).

This is a pretty amateurish production all around.

And that's coming from me, of all people.

1704923481323.png

The President

Educated
I mean I’m no narrative guy, but do these people really need all these programs and other tools to write a story these days? I thought storytelling was a fairly straightforward endeavor, all these tools just seem like a substitute for originality and talent.

Gargaune

Arcane
Dev diary on scripting, I suppose a handful of people might find it interesting https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/...e-bloodlines-2/news/mission-scripting-and-ink

Branching narrative is complex. From each decision point the story can go many ways. Rather than write our own tech for this we decided to use Ink, an open source narrative scripting language created by Inkle studios. We needed to port this from C# to C++ to get it working with Unreal, but this was way quicker than writing our own narrative scripting system from scratch.

Ink-example.png

Meanwhile, in 2002...

:M

Shaja

Educated

Next dev diary in two weeks, the gameplay video "coming later this month." I imagine much later and that's probably for the best.

I'm probably in that handful but these dev diary things never say anything interesting.

Paragraphs and paragraphs of text for what amounts to:

1. Branching narratives is muh hard
2. We're using third-party software because it's so hard
3. Branches are when thing different

Wait until they find out people have been tracking branching narratives on goddamn Word and using basic triggers/switches.

At least they did release a hyper-niche Unreal plugin that maybe some people will find useful.
When you have to connect with the "community", but at the same time you have nothing ready to show.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
This whole VtMB2 saga went from bad to worse. This thread is unadulterated cringe.

My expectations for the game's quality or even the possibility of its release is staked, dissolved and long forgotten.

I feel like I'm losing my mind that game development has declined to this low standard. In five years gaming will be dead and AI gods will be roaming the wasteland that is modern media.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
This whole VtMB2 saga went from bad to worse. This thread is unadulterated cringe.

My expectations for the game's quality or even the possibility of its release is staked, dissolved and long forgotten.

I feel like I'm losing my mind that game development has declined to this low standard. In five years gaming will be dead and AI gods will be roaming the wasteland that is modern media.
We still have you...

Right?

The President

Educated
It’s very brief but it looked like 4 buttons on the bottom right and a health bar I’m presuming on the left. Not too clear though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
For what it's worth, about a dozen people were happy about the Inkpot plugin back in October

They're just raising more awareness.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
They still need to go, any non zero probability that this game will get released is simply unacceptable.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Branching narrative is complex. From each decision point the story can go many ways. Rather than write our own tech for this we decided to use Ink, an open source narrative scripting language created by Inkle studios. We needed to port this from C# to C++ to get it working with Unreal, but this was way quicker than writing our own narrative scripting system from scratch.

Ink-example.png

Meanwhile, in 2002...

:M
Game programmers from 10-20+ years ago shit in mouth of modern ones. Biggest bottleneck is programming. Modern devs are TERRRIBLE. Tim Cain can't stop talking about it in his videos. If you think about it, everything makes perfect sense. Why? WOKE

Semiurge

Cipher
agC89jT.jpg

I just came to the realisation that this model is actually using the male body type. There are no breasts, you can almost see a bulge and the thighs are muscular. The head is the same bulldyke model as before, so maybe the body type and hair color are the only things you can change. Before installing the potential cosmetics DLC, of course. I can't wait to enable the "gruff" male voice option with that head.

0wca

Learned
I mean I’m no narrative guy, but do these people really need all these programs and other tools to write a story these days? I thought storytelling was a fairly straightforward endeavor, all these tools just seem like a substitute for originality and talent.
You've just described the 21st century.

RagingNomad

Educated
agC89jT.jpg

I just came to the realisation that this model is actually using the male body type. There are no breasts, you can almost see a bulge and the thighs are muscular. The head is the same bulldyke model as before, so maybe the body type and hair color are the only things you can change. Before installing the potential cosmetics DLC, of course. I can't wait to enable the "gruff" male voice option with that head.
Bruh, it's not the male body type. They said that earlier.

Vatnik Wumao
TCR is probably posting all these updates because they were demanded to by Paradox. SEE WE'RE WORKING WE'RE NOT WASTING YOUR MONEY.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom