Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming early 2025

Shaki

Arbiter
No sex in the trailer, it will be a flop.

user

Savant
Yes, we didn't know how it would turn out, but Owlcat's vision was at least something specific. They wanted to create an authentic pathfinder crpg, like bg, iwd etc.
There's a good deal of hindsight there. Owlcat said they wanted to make a CRPG. TCR says they want to make a sequel to BL2. There's a lot of leeway in both cases. Not just in terms of vision, but also scope of the project and to what extent either of them can be implemented. The only thing we know about TCR's bloodlines is that it's trailer did not show a walking sim. So really the most pressing issue right now is wether the team can deliver something at all, wether the project is a hackjob or not, wether the project is in dev hell or not, and so on.

There is (I was certain PK would be an irrelevant flop too), but at the time they were specific about the genre! These guys are rather vague.
Hope I am wrong, but their description as I understand it, is more reminiscent to a, most likely linear, action/adventure game. Because, from my experience, any degree of free-roaming is commonly one of the first things advertised for a game. If that's what they are building, they can stick it up their personally, I'll just ignore the whole thing, unless they somehow create some vampire Deux Ex offshoot masterpiece.

Vincente

Arbiter
Malcolm(Makom? Makum?) Bar, defeated Prince's domain. Subtle, upscale, black and gold. (Might be the bar from trailer and first shown set of pictures)
Makom.jpg

Someone sent me this, from Bloodlines 2 website.

Delterius

Arcane
Now this more than a little weird. This liveplay is from 2020. It was clearly made to be a promo tie in. You have Jason Carl doing his stuff with a bunch of goofs and they all detail the world around them. And yet the Hardsuit BL2 ads seem more focused on Hardsuits'/Mitsoda's additions to the setting. So far the only commonality is Lou herself. Meanwhile the second episode of the liveplay involve them waking up an elder for some unknown use. Sound familiar?

Vincente

Arbiter
Now this more than a little weird. This liveplay is from 2020. It was clearly made to be a promo tie in. You have Jason Carl doing his stuff with a bunch of goofs and they all detail the world around them. And yet the Hardsuit BL2 ads seem more focused on Hardsuits'/Mitsoda's additions to the setting. So far the only commonality is Lou herself. Meanwhile the second episode of the liveplay involve them waking up an elder for some unknown use. Sound familiar?
I actually never watched the old liveplay. They all mentioned this stuff in today and yesterday's PAX panel.

Delterius

Arcane
I actually never watched the old liveplay. They all mentioned this stuff in today and yesterday's PAX panel.
I am watching it right now. Ok more like listening to it while I do stuff. The elder thing was a surprise to me. The very first plot point mirrors the premise behind TCR's protagonist. What.

We had heard about creative differences and Mitsoda sending Paradox updates about a game they didn't want made anymore. i used to think maybe Paradox changed the project scope or even the genre. What are the odds that actually the clash was over world building, and Mitsoda/Hardsuit wanting to have more ownership of the main characters? That would put a whole new light over the removal of the vampire known as Mr Gloves. Roguey what do you say of this.

There is (I was certain PK would be an irrelevant flop too), but at the time they were specific about the genre! These guys are rather vague. Hope I am wrong, but their description as I understand it, is more reminiscent to a, most likely linear, action/adventure game.
Well, depending on how you see it Bloodlines was linear. And not that far off from being action/adventure. Sure the action part sucked, and there were skillchecks. But it wasn't Age of Decadence. It wasn't built around creating different experiences via those skill checks, and passing all of them was a trivial thing.

The real C&C was clan choice. It was all about having to walk through the sewers as a Nosferatu, having voices and special dialogue options as a Malkavian, having special Tremere Chantry content as Tremere, and some minor clan reactions here and there. It was about being able to stealth around easily as a Nossie, and using the sleep spell as Tremere. That sort of reactivity is not really at odds with an action/adventure game.

The trailer has shown us that there will be combat, so it's not a walking sim. If the TCR pictures teasing the in-game UI can still be believed, then the very straightforward character building of this kind of tabletop game is still in. So I'm not wary of the game's genre. At least not yet.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Here's some concept artwork for TCR's take on Bloodlines 2:

hzhsXno.jpg

HMLCrHO.jpg

nhherTP.jpg

Y4ilBvx.jpg

1OviKNk.jpg

qhRSh6n.jpg

ZohOnko.jpg
Doesn't really look like Bloodlines in tone at all.

It's all soft colors and muted atmosphere, the opposite of what it was: dark, oppressive, dirty, lived-in. Trailer is in the same tone as the concepts, for both games.

Compare:
VTMBWallpaper4.jpg

Masquerade53nhrbt.jpg

Smiling_jack_desing.jpg
SheriffConcept2.jpg
StraussConcept.jpg
Nines_Rodriguez_vtmb_desing.jpg

MarmontConcept.jpg
PishaConcept.jpg
ImaliaConcept.jpg
D70FpJBX4AACpwl.jpg

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No sex in the trailer, it will be a flop.
https://gaymingmag.com/2023/09/vamp...lines-2-is-back-with-a-diverse-new-developer/

When we got to the ever-important question of romances, both developers got a bit cagey, not wanting to reveal too much. Though they would not confirm if there will be romances/dateable characters in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2, they did note that there will be “character connections” in the game.

“Like everyone on the narrative team, and actually everyone in the studio in general, we want these characters to feel like people,” Le Bray said. “They all have their own drives their own objectives, their own goals. So they might as well play off the player character and try to feel them out.”
What are the odds that actually the clash was over world building, and Mitsoda/Hardsuit wanting to have more ownership of the main characters? That would put a whole new light over the removal of the vampire known as Mr Gloves. @Roguey what do you say of this.
Wesp teased that Mr. Damp was a character from the first game, in which case the obvious choice is that he's Vandal Cleaver after becoming a Malk.

Harthwain

Magister
In gameplay this should be translated as basically Thief/Splinter Cell playstyle, moving from shadow to shadow. Willingly showing yourself to random NPCs or quest givers should have the same results as in 1.
You mean little to none? Quest givers had a unique starting line but barely more than that, after which it was all business as usual and you had to literally bump into a random NPC in order to have any effect. You could literally walk the streets, because of how much leeway you had with your "apperance range". So much for having to "move from shadow to shadow". I didn't really have to use the sewers when playing as a Nosferatu. Overall it was a big disappointment.

Hope I am wrong, but their description as I understand it, is more reminiscent to a, most likely linear, action/adventure game.
And how non-linear and non-action-y Bloodlines 1 is? There is a divergence point at the end, but other than that there is very little in terms of non-linearity or anything that seriously impacts your run. Which, sadly, is common to heavily narrative-driven RPGs.

The President

Educated
So if I’m understanding this correctly the original game and now the TCR version is supposed to be based on Seattle by night from 2019?

Granted I know nothing about the Larps, this is interesting because maybe mitsoda and crew really departed heavily from V5.

Delterius

Arcane
Granted I know nothing about the Larps, this is interesting because maybe mitsoda and crew really departed heavily from V5.
They didn't. In fact they worked together with White Wolf to come up with new concepts like Resonance, both for Vampire as a whole and for BL2. Where there *might* have been conflicts was Seattle itself and the characters of BL2. But this is baseless speculation on my part.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
2020s Seattle during a snowstorm is going to be visually distinct from early 2000s LA grunge/nightlife scene.
And yet it's the Seattle concept art that has all the neons...

Look at BL1's concept art again: it is not about location at all, it's about a mood, an atmosphere. And might I add, the mood in BL1's concepts is consistent with World of Darkness art (before the VtR reboot), BL2 is generic, could be anything.

Last edited:
So if I’m understanding this correctly the original game and now the TCR version is supposed to be based on Seattle by night from 2019?

I think this Seattle is based in the year it's supposed to come out: 2024.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
You mean little to none? Quest givers had a unique starting line but barely more than that, after which it was all business as usual and you had to literally bump into a random NPC in order to have any effect. You could literally walk the streets, because of how much leeway you had with your "apperance range". So much for having to "move from shadow to shadow".
My point exactly, they have the opportunity to fix this in vtmb 2. Strict enforcement of that mechanic. Ideally it would play like Thief or Splinter Cell. Ideally...

ColaWerewolf

Educated
My point exactly, they have the opportunity to fix this in vtmb 2. Strict enforcement of that mechanic. Ideally it would play like Thief or Splinter Cell. Ideally...
Only way that would happen is if they made a nosferatu-based stealth game from the start. But that's not gonna happen until the IP gets more widespread popularity.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Troika death marched themselves making the original Bloodlines in three years. Don't expect greater scope, expect it significantly reduced.

Anyway the Hogwarts Legacy writer confirms she joined the team specifically because she wanted to work on the new Bloodlines (much like the Rocksteady programmer did)

I transferred to TCR almost two years ago to work on this project because it was a dream opportunity, and it’s the same for so many who have joined since work began. We have soo many Bloodlines super fans among us. I love this talented team to bits.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hogwarts Legacy writer

is this a good thing or bad thing? Over all the JK Rowling Drama there really isn't much mention about the content of the game on story.
Here's what she specifically wrote, someone who played it would have to comment on the quality
  • Wrote and iterated on four main quests, with a focus on Sebastian Sallow—check out Secrets of the Restricted Section!
  • Conceptualised and wrote content for Imelda Reyes, a tsundere character designed to inject some much-needed house rivalry and provide the player with incentive to take part in broom races (i.e. to wipe the smirk off her face!)
  • Pitched ideas for world events and iterated on their design, with examples including Follow The Butterflies, the Slytherin Common Room window display (and occasional giant squid) and many others
  • Wrote dialogue and OST for world events where required, including Ernie Lark’s ‘One Man Band’, the Daily Prophet (examples below), Howlers, Peeves’ interactions and corpse notes

Cross

Arcane
Hogwarts Legacy writer

is this a good thing or bad thing? Over all the JK Rowling Drama there really isn't much mention about the content of the game on story.
Here's what she specifically wrote, someone who played it would have to comment on the quality
  • Wrote and iterated on four main quests, with a focus on Sebastian Sallow—check out Secrets of the Restricted Section!
  • Conceptualised and wrote content for Imelda Reyes, a tsundere character designed to inject some much-needed house rivalry and provide the player with incentive to take part in broom races (i.e. to wipe the smirk off her face!)
  • Pitched ideas for world events and iterated on their design, with examples including Follow The Butterflies, the Slytherin Common Room window display (and occasional giant squid) and many others
  • Wrote dialogue and OST for world events where required, including Ernie Lark’s ‘One Man Band’, the Daily Prophet (examples below), Howlers, Peeves’ interactions and corpse notes
:prosper:
It's confirmed, Bloodlines 2 is going to have absolutely horrible writing.

Granted, for as bad as anime is, it's still probably more dignified than the storytelling in western triple-A games these days. But this is the worst combination of both, a western imitation of anime, which is a particularly awful kind of cringe.

Vincente

Arbiter
Granted, for as bad as anime is, it's still probably more dignified than the storytelling in western triple-A games these days.
You must not have noticed the bottom of the barrel CGI slop coming out in each season.

Vincente

Arbiter
I'm gonna parrot opinions I read online but apparently the Sebastian character was one of the high points of character design (story-wise) in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom