Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming early 2025

Vatnik Wumao
The fragmentation of in game factions is meant to support thin blood / high generation characters. It gives them more autonomy and makes it less likely they'll be scourged or enslaved.

Delterius

Arcane
The fragmentation of in game factions is meant to support thin blood / high generation characters. It gives them more autonomy and makes it less likely they'll be scourged or enslaved.
It's not just about high generation characters. An individual Elder may or may not choose to change sects, same as everyone else. It's down to their personal history.

The fragmentation of vampire politics is just good for storytelling in general. The whole idea of fearing humans and inquisitions was pretty much a joke. Only now with Elders disappearing, the Camarilla withdrawing into itself, the Anarchs remaining incompetent, and the Sabbat dying off, you have actual reasons to tell a story where hunters and government agents are a threat. Furthermore, with sects changing it is also more conductive to tabletop play as well. Your friend who likes playing Brujah doesn't have to swap to another fighty clan if your group decides to play a Camarilla themed campaign. They just need to have a reason why their Brujah stayed in your city's Camarilla.

Harthwain

Magister
The bloodlines 1 guy was a low generation fledgling. Probably 9th generation. That puts him in the same seniority tier as most modern elders.

The thin blood guy is 14/15th generation and depending on how you interpret the rules, he would have trouble mending wounds or sustaining extended discipline use.
My point was more like: "You're doing the same thing in Bloodlines 1 (including guns and melee weapons)". While a thinblood is weaker, he is still a vampire and as such remains superior to humans. So being able to beat humans with guns and weapons is not that surprising. It is also worth taking into consideration that games are seldom realistic in terms of how many enemies you can fight (and beat), and is rarely representative of the setting in that aspect, too.

I do love games that go for combat as a serious (dangerous) consideration. Most games are not like that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is this just an action game?
No, this is an action RPG, meaning there are elements of both action playstyle and role-playing playstyles, depending on how you want to play the game.

All those comments making judgments based on a 2 minute teaser trailer got to them. :lol:

Can you customize your character in Bloodlines 2?
The extent of character customization has yet to be released.

:roll: Your own synopsis uses a female pronoun. Easy question to answer then - is there a choice when it comes to the character's gender or is that a female-pronoun-by-default thing?

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Is this just an action game?
No, this is an action RPG, meaning there are elements of both action playstyle and role-playing playstyles, depending on how you want to play the game.

All those comments making judgments based on a 2 minute teaser trailer got to them. :lol:

Okay Roguey, but tell me - if these predictions turn out to be true, would you write something like "Your judgment after two minutes of gameplay was correct"?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Okay Roguey, but tell me - if these predictions turn out to be true, would you write something like "Your judgment after two minutes of gameplay was correct"?
It's an absurd concern. They're calling this Bloodlines 2, not Redemption 2. That was the one with the linear story and pre-set protagonist. Bloodlines 2 will obviously feel and play similar to Bloodlines.

Herumor

Scholar
As an Elder vampire, players will encounter compelling characters, maneuver complex political relationships, stalk the city streets searching for loot, and engage in intense combat while balancing the need for blood.
What did they mean by this, "stalk the streets searching for loot"? When the fuck has any vampire game focused on searching for loot?

Also, gotta love that first reply to the thread:
What's the point in an FAQ when half the answers are "not yet revealed"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What did they mean by this, "stalk the streets searching for loot"? When the fuck has any vampire game focused on searching for loot?
Bloodlines had loot. All the watches and rings you could sell, skill books to read?

La vie sexuelle

Learned
It's an absurd concern. They're calling this Bloodlines 2, not Redemption 2. That was the one with the linear story and pre-set protagonist. Bloodlines 2 will obviously feel and play similar to Bloodlines.

You putubg a baseball bat in a peanut butter (or whatever Americans say when distorts the facts), but you can't fool me, I had A+ in logic at school, so I know what I'm talking about.

Calling Bloodlines 2 similar to Bloodlines is like saying Fiat 123 is Ferrari, because they are both cars and the main color of the production series was red.

Last edited:

Herumor

Scholar
Bloodlines had loot. All the watches and rings you could sell, skill books to read?
I don't think the original Bloodlines had the modern definition of loot in mind when they placed those items in the game. Seeing any sort of 'loot' mentioned in a game's description, at least games made recently, brings to mind diablo-like loot, which is effectively shit.

RagingNomad

Educated
As an Elder vampire, players will encounter compelling characters, maneuver complex political relationships, stalk the city streets searching for loot, and engage in intense combat while balancing the need for blood.

Also, gotta love that first reply to the thread:
What's the point in an FAQ when half the answers are "not yet revealed"
VtMB 2 have been maked with VtM 5 edition. That means vampires have own predators types.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't think the original Bloodlines had the modern definition of loot in mind when they placed those items in the game. Seeing any sort of 'loot' mentioned in a game's description, at least games made recently, brings to mind diablo-like loot, which is effectively shit.

People were concerned that there wouldn't be any loot at all because the teaser trailer features no melee or ranged weapons used by the player.

Just nonstop pessimism no matter what they say or show or don't say or don't show.

Bleed

Barely Literate
Chances of the HSL build getting leaked at some point anyone? As far as I know, it was pretty close to completion.

J1M

Arcane
Three+ years is enough time to make a role-playing game
Not in the current year, and certainly not from this developer. Their walking simulator Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was released more than 3 years after they announced it, and that was even with funding from Sony.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up being a glorified action game, with a few different abilities depending on your Clan, and for the rest a boring skill tree like you have in every modern action "RPG". That might be the reason why they made the protagonist an Elder, so they wouldn't have to bother with all those pesky RPG character development systems.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was made by like 20 people. All those people are gone and now Bloodlines 2 is being re-jiggered by a studio that's grown 5 times that size at least plus they're receiving a lot of support from Sumo Digital, which has like a shit ton of studios who do all sorts of support work. The Chinese Room isn't even making their Still Wakes The Deep game by themselves. Sumo has thrown a lot of employees from their other studios on that project too.

A "medium"-sized AAA action-RPG in three years is totally doable especially with the inevitable DLC onslaught this game is going to receive.
You make ramping up and training 60 people out like it is a good thing instead of a huge time sink.

Vatnik Wumao
The HSL build of BL2 didn't have an inventory system. The only items available were guns that can't be reloaded and would be discarded automatically. A loot system would honestly be an improvement.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
There are tons of examples when numbered sequels totally don't feel and play similar to their predecessors, especially so when done by different companies and after a significant time gap.
Anyone here can come up with a bunch of examples themselves.
And while it's too early to give a final diagnosis, considering the game is not even out yet and there is barely any info, the concerns are valid and justified.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

People were concerned that there wouldn't be any loot at all because the teaser trailer features no melee or ranged weapons used by the player.

Just nonstop pessimism no matter what they say or show or don't say or don't show.
Can you just please shut your cunt mouth. Go die you stupid dumb fuck cunt faced piece of cuntshit. FUCK OFF GO DIE!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom