Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Van Buren/ Fallout 3: What made the cut?

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
----LIGHT SPOILERS-----

:D Well, because I'm a huge hypocrite and a complete douche I though I might as well as post a thread on FO3. I'll place this particular thread in "General RPG", but the mods are welcome to move it to "RPG Design". The question I want to ask is what did Bethesduh learn from the Van Buren design docs? If anything.

I'm unsure of how much of the Van Buren material was released in total : as in, did we get it all? But from what I can garner only Oasis is anywhere indicative of what the The Nursery would of been in Van Buren. And that's a good example of the way that Beth constantly marginalizes everything, succeeding in only creating sappy ineffective characters and settings. The Nursery was a scientific research station in Van Buren, Oasis however is a vomit inducing LaLa land filled with *sigh* more lame cultists.

At least Harold was better written by the majority of those other idiots, but not by much. So, I'm sure there are Codexers better equipped than I to discuss Beth's poor design choices. Also check out NMA's collection of Concept Art for Van Buren, it would have been simply fantastic.

FIXED: :roll: Are you happy now? :mumbles: You complete pain in my balls.

Ausir

Arcane
The question I want to ask is what did Bethesduh learn from the Van Buren design docs? If anything.

They used the Enclave symbol from Van Buren and mention the T-45d Power Armor.

I'm unsure of how much of the Van Buren material was released in total : as in, did we get it all?

Not all, but most of the design docs.

I'm unsure of how much of the Van Buren material was released in total : as in, did we get it all? But from what I can garner only Oasis is anywhere indicative of what the The Nursery would of been in Van Buren.

Not really.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ogg said:
Barrow_Bug said:
would of been

seriously

I wonder what's so hard to grasp about it. Of doesn't make any fucking sense there. Of is a possessive... well... thingie. It's used for stuff like "he is the king of Germany" or "this is the sword of the warrior" or things like that. It's not a verb. And that's why "would of been" doesn't make any fucking sense. No sense at all. It's horribly, horribly wrong. No matter how similar "would've" and "would of" sound, the expression "would of" is just plain wrong. One of the worst grammatical mistakes that is regularly found on the internets. Horrible.

NiM82

Prophet
Them big red rail carriages, even the rail network itself, reminds me constantly of Van Buren's menu screen.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
JarlFrank said:
I wonder what's so hard to grasp about it. Of doesn't make any fucking sense there.
I have to say, I've been making alot of "phonetic" mistakes recently. I recall that years ago I found it unbelieveable that someone would make them, but it happens.

My guess is that it provides some insight into how our brain works. I believe that the more intuitively you use a language, the easier it is to make such mistakes because you no longer consider the grammar consciously. I guess what I mean is that you just write down your thoughts as they come to your mind and all it takes is a wrong turn in your brain to produce such a mistake. It's sort of like mishearing something.

NOVD

Scholar
"I could care less" is an American English phrase meaning something similar to "I couldn't care less". The origin of the phrase is unclear, but it has been repeatedly suggested (e.g. Pinker) that it started as a sarcastic alteration to the popular British phrase "I couldn't care less". Additionally, it has long been speculated the phrase originated in American Yiddish culture.

It's just one part of the magical mystery of language that a phrase can mean something opposite of what the naive interpretation would suggest. You cannot necessarily determine the meaning of a statement by knowing just the meaning of its constituent words and the language's grammar. "I could care less" is the most shining example of that reality.

Andrej

Liturgist
Claw: No, it just comes from using your brain less. Phonetic mistakes are one of the sure signs of dyslectic Americans.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
All this grammar shit is fascinating and all, but really, no one here has any input on this topic? I mean really. No one? I thought everyone here was 'teh hardcorez' when it came to BIS? Prove me wrong, fuckers, prove me wrong.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
:( Wow. Utter fail Codex. This, I think, is a pretty good topic. But hey, I'm sure we could all bitch about reviews few of us have read properly or perhaps manstroke each other continually on topics of utter irrelevance.

Black

Arcane
Barrow_Bug said:
All this grammar shit is fascinating and all, but really, no one here has any input on this topic? I mean really. No one? I thought everyone here was 'teh hardcorez' when it came to BIS? Prove me wrong, fuckers, prove me wrong.

Offtopic? On my Codex? Preposterous!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I doubt Van Buren would have been any better than Bethesda's Fallout 3. The changes to SPECIAL that JE Sawyer was talking about were fairly ridiculous(like fixing the "problem" with pistols being useless when pistols are actually extremely deadly with the One-Hander Trait), the space stations, and so on. There was enough leaked about Van Buren to make me cringe.

Melcar

Arcane
Saint_Proverbius said:
I doubt Van Buren would have been any better than Bethesda's Fallout 3. The changes to SPECIAL that JE Sawyer was talking about were fairly ridiculous(like fixing the "problem" with pistols being useless when pistols are actually extremely deadly with the One-Hander Trait), the space stations, and so on. There was enough leaked about Van Buren to make me cringe.

Yeah. Some of the stuff proposed was really ridiculous, probably FO3 ridiculous. It is best to leave it dead and to romanticize its memory like we have been doing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom