Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

How are the colonization mechanics? Is it still a matter of roflstomping native armies by dropping a stack on them, after which they quietly submit to your rule and give you money and troops?
See this dev diary.
Thanks, that sounds much better than Vic 2. Attrition by disease, spreading out from a single province and the necessity of colonial investment sound good. Colonial uprisings shouldn't be too predictable, they should lead to tricky situations and occasional colonial setbacks. It'd be cool if you could send expeditions and make treaties with local chiefs.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So how is it? Is it a train wreck the same as recent Paradox Rome game? Or is it kinda rehash of Victoria 2, just need MUCH more RAM and CPU power?

Vatnik Wumao
It's only 9 days to go, there should be some rumors.
Well, as with other recent Paradox titles, it's probably going to be somewhat barebones at release. That aside, biggest gameplay difference from Vicky2 is that they've fully abstracted the war system in favor of just assigning generals & troops to a front and letting the AI battle it out with no player oversight over individual battles. On the other hand, they've expanded the internal politics which is pretty good (although it comes with the caveat that they've added the party system on top of the preexisting IG system because people demanded "muh parties" and that's quite barebones as well).

Harthwain

Magister
That aside, biggest gameplay difference from Vicky2 is that they've fully abstracted the war system in favor of just assigning generals & troops to a front and letting the AI battle it out with no player oversight over individual battles.
So how wars look, exactly? You just create armies and supply them with war material?

Vatnik Wumao
That aside, biggest gameplay difference from Vicky2 is that they've fully abstracted the war system in favor of just assigning generals & troops to a front and letting the AI battle it out with no player oversight over individual battles.
So how wars look, exactly? You just create armies and supply them with war material?
You don't have stockpiles, so you just need to have your war industry already in place. You recruit generals from different areas, you assign troops from those areas to them and then you assign them to a front and select an order (e.g. reckless advance, defense etc etc).

No stockpiles wtf
Modding this will be harder than I thought.
The economy in general won't have "hard" quantities of resources that are made and consumed; instead it'll be more of a soft system where rates of things are compared.

Probably makes it easier to balance / tune the economy, likely also makes it run better. But it is also less realistic / simulationist.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
I don’t know if there was much choice, there has to be a kind of elasticity to the system or else you’ll just oscillate wildly between boom and bust in the economy.

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Paradox devs are fricking dumb it is unbelievable. The whole kerfluffle with the Civil War a few days ago is just a baldly obvious consequence of making a system driven game. Especially one with a low simulation fidelity like they did. Anything more than 10 or even maybe 5 years into the game is going to be blatantly ahistorical and there is no way to avoid this. They are trying to split the baby. Either you do a historical railroad game or you do a systems driven alternate history game. Can't half ass two things, gotta whole ass one thing.

Vatnik Wumao
The whole kerfluffle with the Civil War a few days ago
I don't know what's this about. What of it?
Because the alignment of the various states in the civil war is decided by the Landowner IG strength in those areas, you can end up with core northern states becoming part of the seceding CSA and core southern ones remaining part of the US despite it not being historically plausible at all.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Their simulation is roughly 2 orders of magnitude too simple to handle something as unique as the Civil War with a 25 year lead time. There's literally nothing they can do except add railroading. And even then you'd need tons of checks for actions that could make even an event driven Civil War invalid like Mexico invading or a Euro proxy war situation.

Vatnik Wumao

For all the issues that the game will probably have, I really do like that uncivs won't have most of the game mechanics locked off the way they do in V2 (which made them really, really boring to play).
I'm mostly worried about border gore in North America (i.e. between the US and the British colonies) and dumb wars in the Old World. Did some observer runs in the community patched leak and you get some pretty preposterous stuff like France turning Spain into a protectorate and annexing a few of its southeastern states not even a decade into the game. We'll have to see how the AI is on release.

For all the issues that the game will probably have, I really do like that uncivs won't have most of the game mechanics locked off the way they do in V2 (which made them really, really boring to play).
I'm mostly worried about border gore in North America (i.e. between the US and the British colonies) and dumb wars in the Old World. Did some observer runs in the community patched leak and you get some pretty preposterous stuff like France turning Spain into a protectorate and annexing a few of its southeastern states not even a decade into the game. We'll have to see how the AI is on release.
As much as that'll likely be a problem, vanilla vicky 2 is also kind of prone to border gore. I think we'll need an HPM equivalent before we get actual borders that make sense. That goes for starting countries too, eg I'm pretty sure vanilla V3 doesn't represent the Baltic Governates as a Russian substate, same as V2, whereas HPM etc represent it correctly as a substate rather than an integral territory, and have it be fully annexed into the Russian Empire only later on in the game to reflect how it was eventually more tightly integrated. I could be wrong, but that's how it looked last time I peeked at the V3 map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom