Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

Did they fix the economy? Because the ecomony in Vic2 made no sense.
>Low taxes
>low tarifs
>factories making money
>Life needs still unfilled because everything gets expensive even though the market is flooded
>Everyone is poor for absolutely no reason

Well, from the looks of it they fixed SOME problems with the V2 economy. Like trade actually being somewhat meaningful, which was honestly one of my biggest problems with V2. I'm hoping that in V3 maintaining a large navy, patrolling trade routes, etc, will be something that is advantageous / required, and I hope it will be possible to build up everything you need to feed your own economy without having to directly annex countries. Historically for example, under Bismarck's guidance, Prussia / DB / German Empire was focused more on making trade deals and securing ports where they could station their fleet than on just hoovering up square kilometres of land - and this worked pretty well for them until the Hohenzollerns started wanting to win the colony dick measuring contest. But in V2 because of the lack of a real trade system you basically have to blob, and I hate blobbing.

I expect V3's economy will be broken in different ways, though.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Look man, you're gonna get a CK3 reskin with equally shallow gameplay and no significant variation between countries. No need to act like Infinitron up in here

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So, what's the consensus about this game for far (apart from the obvious reskin, don't buy on launch yadda yadda). I saw the fat neckbeard and decided against watching the streams, because asking on RPGCODEX dot com can't possibly worse.

So, what's the consensus about this game for far (apart from the obvious reskin, don't buy on launch yadda yadda). I saw the fat neckbeard and decided against watching the streams, because asking on RPGCODEX dot com can't possibly worse.

Positive aspects:
- Trade routes & trade deals actually being modeled.
- Unciv gameplay not being boring and having most mechanics locked out.
- Westernizing process being more organic and realistic, maybe.
- Politics / interest groups is an improvement over V2's system.
- Production modes.
- Moving away from the older Paradox war model.
- Accepted cultures being less black and white, unless this has changed and or I am mis-remembering.

Negative aspects:
- The new war model seems to be just the old one but with direct player control removed. That's still probably good because it was tedious garbage, but it's also bad because the fundamental system is still there.
- Manual economy.
- Anything good I've mentioned above has a high risk of being poorly implemented in practice.
- The starting map looks historically inaccurate, like vanilla V2. We will need to wait on HPM/HFM equivalents to get an accurate one. Lots of countries and substates missing.

One unequivocally positive aspect:
- Finally, puppets have their overlord's colour on the map. This was such a massive peeve of mine in Victoria 2.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Regarding economy you can set it to auto build. Vastly less tedious than the Vicky 2 model.

Regarding economy you can set it to auto build. Vastly less tedious than the Vicky 2 model.
Oh, that's good news. Still disappointing that pops won't open & invest in factories on their own (in other words, no real economy, just an impression of one), but at least it'll save the tedium of manually building shit.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I haven't played Vic2 for some time, but I remember capitalist pops building factories (and railways?).
I think you had to decide between a free or controlled economy. In a controlled economy you had to build everything yourself, in a free economy there were restriction, but capitalists would build stuff for free (= with their own money).

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I haven't played Vic2 for some time, but I remember capitalist pops building factories (and railways?).
I think you had to decide between a free or controlled economy. In a controlled economy you had to build everything yourself, in a free economy you there were restriction, but capitalists would build stuff for free (= with their own money).
Yes but they were completely brain dead when deciding what to build and where.

Vatnik Wumao
I think you had to decide between a free or controlled economy. In a controlled economy you had to build everything yourself, in a free economy you there were restriction, but capitalists would build stuff for free (= with their own money).
Yes but they were completely brain dead when deciding what to build and where.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I think you had to decide between a free or controlled economy. In a controlled economy you had to build everything yourself, in a free economy there were restriction, but capitalists would build stuff for free (= with their own money).
Yes, and it was trash. They would build factories anywhere without any regard for local resources, so the factories would end up running at a loss.
Maybe the patches fix it, but that's how it was in 1.3.
Playing base Victoria 2 made me appreciate Paradox's current "free" patch model.
Their DLC model is still some egregious horseshit, but at least you don't need the DLC to patch your game.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
Oh yeah, Vicky3, the SECOND best GSG released this year.
What was the first?
Terra Invicta.
Ah another space game.

tenor.png

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I've decided what I'm going to do. I'm gonna play as Russia and keep the commies from taking over. Turn it into an economic superpower. Laissez-faire as much as possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom