Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah quality is completely ignored in game, it is all about maximising output.

There will definitely have to be a goods / natural resource / spice quality trade DLC at some point.

The whole trade thing in general needs an overhaul though. Price caps shouldn't exist. Stockpiles need to exist.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Devs actually considered using 2d art and even had placeholder portraits for generals adn statesman:
placeholder_portrait2_result.jpg
placeholder_portrait3_result.jpg
placeholder_portrait4_result.jpg
placeholder_portrait5_result.jpg
placeholder_portrait6_result.jpg
placeholder_portrait7_result.jpg
placeholder_portrait8_result.jpg
placeholder_portrait9_result.jpg
placeholder_portrait10_result.jpg
placeholder_portrait11_result.jpg
placeholder_portrait12_result.jpg

What a hideous faces. Just look how 3d nuPortraits are superior to this obsolete 2d scribbles
zw2vxh3xstja1.png
gtxco5dcbkja1.jpg
FFS it's not a rumor or a joke, they really considered using 2d portraits. they are still there!
Victoria 3\game\gfx\portraits\placeholder

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Imagine a Paradox DLC so bad that even One Proud Bavarian couldn't give it higher than 4/10. What a disaster. V3 about to eat shit and get cancelled.

Reina

Arcane
I think Paradox really ought to start listening to the voice of the people

The problem might not be with being deaf to the players, but their relatively new strategy of planning entire roadmap of DLCs years ahead. Even if VOTP was of top-notch quality, the main problem with it remains that it doesn't answer the worst problems with Vicky 3 as it is today: abyssmal warfare and international politics.

I can't help but notice that Paradox is caught in a, well, a paradox: they are trying more and more ambitious systems whilst limiting initial scope of their games (either to cynically bolster slales of the DLC or because they simply do not have the output to ship large enough games at the premiere - probably both). All of their last major historical games: HoI4, CK3, Imperator and now Vic3 follow the same pattern: more or less underwhelming initial release, awful first DLC, then either the game slowly becomes decent when DLCs finally start addressing core issues or gets abandoned because it doesn't sell well. I feel Vic3 will unfortunately be the latter.

It pains me, because lead dev for V3, Wiz, is one of the guys who 'gets' what makes Paradox Grand Strategies great and his work as a modder proves so. His initial projects are always interesting and ambitious, yet fall short to deliver, probably because Paradox doesn't have enough workpower/budget.

Paradox really needs to rethink their policy; either scale down their productions or take a risk and go big. The first option is more likely considering limited market for GS's, but also will probably not sit well will established audience, who will always expect the next game to have full features of the previous title in the series, even if that's obviously impossible.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I think Paradox really ought to start listening to the voice of the people

The problem might not be with being deaf to the players, but their relatively new strategy of planning entire roadmap of DLCs years ahead. Even if VOTP was of top-notch quality, the main problem with it remains that it doesn't answer the worst problems with Vicky 3 as it is today: abyssmal warfare and international politics.

I can't help but notice that Paradox is caught in a, well, a paradox: they are trying more and more ambitious systems whilst limiting initial scope of their games (either to cynically bolster slales of the DLC or because they simply do not have the output to ship large enough games at the premiere - probably both). All of their last major historical games: HoI4, CK3, Imperator and now Vic3 follow the same pattern: more or less underwhelming initial release, awful first DLC, then either the game slowly becomes decent when DLCs finally start addressing core issues or gets abandoned because it doesn't sell well. I feel Vic3 will unfortunately be the latter.

It pains me, because lead dev for V3, Wiz, is one of the guys who 'gets' what makes Paradox Grand Strategies great and his work as a modder proves so. His initial projects are always interesting and ambitious, yet fall short to deliver, probably because Paradox doesn't have enough workpower/budget.

Paradox really needs to rethink their policy; either scale down their productions or take a risk and go big. The first option is more likely considering limited market for GS's, but also will probably not sit well will established audience, who will always expect the next game to have full features of the previous title in the series, even if that's obviously impossible.
You have it all wrong. Wiz is actually a huge problem, one of the architects of the demise of Paradox. Just like Exley and Sandberg and Califano and Shakir ran the Sanders campaign into the ground because they had no business on anything bigger than an urban 80% Dem blue seat House campaign Wiz and many other top Paradox staffers have no business as game leads.

This happens all the time, pure Peter Principle. People are promoted until they reach their level of incompetence. Wiz needs to be heavily constrained by existing systems to make anything good. If you just give him free reign he doesn't have the oomph to get it done.

thesecret1

Arcane
It pains me, because lead dev for V3, Wiz, is one of the guys who 'gets' what makes Paradox Grand Strategies great and his work as a modder proves so.
But his work as a lead certainly doesn't! Nobody who "gets" GSGs would make V3 into something like this. You can't call yourself ambitious if your game is shittier and with less features than its predecessor.

Reina

Arcane
But his work as a lead certainly doesn't! Nobody who "gets" GSGs would make V3 into something like this. You can't call yourself ambitious if your game is shittier and with less features than its predecessor.

Judging from the first dev diaries (as well the fact that around the infamous leak Paradox suddenly went silent for months about new features), Wiz had much grander vision from the game, and had to simplify several systems (in particular, economy), because production team failed to properly implement them - or they lacked time to iron them out. Kinda smiliar thing happened with Stellaris, where instead of fixing the existing systems, new lead just overhauled everything after Wiz left the project.

less features than its predecessor.

It's important to judge the base game to the predecessor's base; I don't think base V3 is that much lackluster compared to base V2 (although V2's problems were waaaay simpler to fix). There's also a problem with several systems that more or less 'work' within a game's framework, but fail at other levels. For example, warfare in V2 was more servicable from gaming perspective than mess we have in V3, but it was absolutely awful representation of the warfare in the era, especially WW1.

thesecret1

Arcane
It's important to judge the base game to the predecessor's base
I disagree. They should view their previous title as a competitor, because that is what it is to their customers - why should I buy V3 if it's worse than V2? It doesn't matter both games are from the same company or even the same series. They are competing, and V3 should thus be competitive. If it's not then it simply deserves to crash and burn, that's how the market works. I'm not saying it should have every feature of the competitor, but that it should give one a compelling reason to play it rather than V2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom