Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Yeah Vicky3 and CK3 just took the lazy way out on many of the core systems and it really cripples the potential of the game.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
1684083725873.png

No Fun Allowed with anything except Great Powers.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So the V3 user numbers for may are going to be ~1000 less than February, erasing patch gains and then dropping even more than that. Currently some of the mid higher April data hasn't fallen off yet from the "last 30 days" data. Brutal.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
How do the player numbers for Victoria 3 compare with their other titles, especially at similar points in their lifespan?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Let's see what the expansion bump gives.
If the expansion bump is 2x the patch bump, that would be impressive. If it is equal or less that will be the danger sign. Sadly you essentially have to analyze a minimum of three months really. The month the game releases, assuming it is more of the middle so you still get a good couple weeks before and then 2 months after. So with a May 22 release that is good positioning but we'll need to see the July numbers before we can make any meaningful call.

Luka-boy

Arcane
You know, normally I'm of the 'behead all numberfags' mindset. But the consensus seems to be that discussing its player numbers is actually more fun than playing the game.

It's equal parts depressing and hilarious to me just how much Paradox missed the mark here, considering it's not even the first game in its series like Imperator was.

I'd absolutely say that Imperator is the 2nd game in the series after EU: Rome. They simply rebranded it for marketing reasons. If you take EU:Rome, add mana and increase the province count by 20x you've basically got Imperator on launch. Which is basically the same change we saw between EU3 and EU4.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I'd absolutely say that Imperator is the 2nd game in the series after EU: Rome. They simply rebranded it for marketing reasons. If you take EU:Rome, add mana and increase the province count by 20x you've basically got Imperator on launch. Which is basically the same change we saw between EU3 and EU4.
Johan literally says they built Imperator by taking EU: Rome and adding stuff on. Which makes sense since much of the gameplay like trade and religion and civilization level and stuff is identical.

thesecret1

Arcane
Johan literally says they built Imperator by taking EU: Rome and adding stuff on. Which makes sense since much of the gameplay like trade and religion and civilization level and stuff is identical.
Well, EU: Rome fucking bombed back in the day, so I guess it's a faithful sequel, at least. Can't say the same about V3.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Well, EU: Rome fucking bombed back in the day, so I guess it's a faithful sequel, at least. Can't say the same about V3.
Both Vicky3 and CK3 were made by a much different lead team than V2 and CK2, whereas EU4 and Imperator were made by the same guy as EU3 and EU:R. That's the same reason the Paradox Majesty sequel was shit. Not made by the old devs and didn't know what was good.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
It is my impression if I'm reading the chart right that not only has Vicky3 dropped below 8000 for the peak for May but once more of the April stuff drops off the monthly peak will actually be below 7000, which is below the February trough of ~8700 by almost 2000. Of course the DLC drops in a weak so that will kick the number way back up.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
The entire game is basically just "Wood, Iron, Tools" on repeat unless you're part of the British market.

Really? Thats weird and dumb then, at least in Vic2 you wanted iron, sulphur and coal to have an industry...

If you are in your own small market perhaps but if you're part of a wider market you can get by with just providing basic tools because the demand is practically unfulfillable.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The entire game is basically just "Wood, Iron, Tools" on repeat unless you're part of the British market.

Really? Thats weird and dumb then, at least in Vic2 you wanted iron, sulphur and coal to have an industry...
Its slightly more complex.
1. GDP is your construction capacity. The more you can build, the more GDP. Sometimes you run out of workers, but that's rare and it can be fixed with immigration or conquest.
2. Rich people build their own shit. Aristocrats mostly own agricultural stuff, and they build agricultural stuff, which gives them more political power, which prevents reform. You want to build more capitalist owned buildings, so that the capitalists can gain more power and money, and build more capitalist buildings themselves, and gain more political power, and make reforms possible.

So the vert short list of protips is:
1. Import agricultural goods (to avoid building aristocrat buildings and keep their price down), produce and export manufactured goods (to build more capitalist clout, and keep the price up).
2. Keep all construction goods cheap if possible, so you can build more capitalist buildings, so capitalists will be more powerful, and build more.
3. Keep all government goods cheap if possible (like paper, coal, guns, etc), so you can have more money left for building more capitalist buildings, so capitalists will be more powerful, and build more.

That's when I last played, but I think we are still on the same patch. My Thailand united all of South-East Asia and fought a mutually destructive war against the USA, before I got bored and quit after I eventually Balkanized USA through conquest and revolts.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Tools are useful.
When I used a Chinese tester for testing electricity, Chinese tester ended with charred tip, and I with electric shock and partially damaged blood cells. Luckily it recovered in few weeks so I avoided visiting doctor.

There are tools, and there are tools that can internally corrode in storage, and that resistor, that originally made it safe to use, became too much conductive.

I definitely don't want to import or use tools made in Indonesia in that era.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom