Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

Harthwain

Magister
This is a pretigious Vicky thread. We don't welcome map painters here.
Game about 19th century imperialism. Named after the ruler of the largest empire in history.
Directly from the manual:

Why name a game – or nearly a century of history – after one person? What justifies the term, “The Victorian Age?”

The wars of Napoleon Bonaparte had ended in 1815, and while Revolutionary and Imperial France had changed the face of Europe and consumed the imagination of the world until then, it was victorious Great Britain that soon took over the spotlight on the world stage. This was the world Princess Victoria was born into, in 1819.

Throughout the remainder of the 19th Century and into the 20th, Great Britain remained the foremost power of the world. To a greater or lesser degree, she held sway over much of colonial Africa, parts of the Middle East, much of Asia, Canada, Australia, hundreds of isolated properties and islands around the world, which the prolific Royal Navy used as bases, and on top of all that, Britain controlled the riches of the enormous Indian subcontinent.

As was often said, “the sun never set upon her empire” – the British Empire spanned the globe, and the whole of it was never entirely in darkness at any hour of the day. Queen Victoria – or The Empress, as she was often called – ruled this expansive realm for 63 years, beginning when she was only 18 years of age. She was noted for her good sense and relative compassion, and also for her propriety and romantic innocence.

Victoria also stood for the cosmopolitan nature of the age, and the interrelationships between the various royal families of Europe. She was ethnically German, often spoke German at home, married a German, and her daughter herself later became the Kaiserin of mighty Imperial Germany. At her death in 1901, most of the continent’s rulers were her cousins, nephews, nieces or even grandchildren, including grandson Wilhelm II, who led Germany through World War I.

It’s true, more than half of the world’s population during this period of time lived outside of the British Empire. But this figure virtually emphasizes the fact that almost half the world’s population did, in fact, live in some area of the world which was ruled from Victoria’s London! And of the remainder, hundreds of millions more were touched in some way by the sailing ships flying the Union Jack – either the cargo vessels which carried British goods to foreign ports, or the towering warships, which offered protection to some, and death to others.

This was Victoria’s mark upon the world. During most of the 19th Century, the British Pound Sterling was the “gold standard” of world currencies, the British Royal Navy was the primary authority on the high seas, and the example being set in the British Home Isles, with her sprawling railroads and her smoking factories, would give rise to the other name for this period of history – The Industrial Age.
It's a nod to the whole period the game was set in.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So it will be another imperator map painter with nothing to do in it. Missions give you a focused and refined experience with certain goals and flavour that makes countries unique.
Imperator has mission trees, you know.

fantadomat , if your only interested in map painting, then fuck off. This is a pretigious Vicky thread. We don't welcome map painters here. :obviously:
Isn't map painting in Victoria 2 actually easier than in EUIV? In my experience it seems so.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So it will be a sandbox
nobody plays them for their trade and economic systems
again, welcome to the victoria thread
Fuck off grandpa,shit evolves get on with the times or kick the bucket already. I want evolution of viki not a fucking remake,if i wanted to play the same game i would just install it. What kind of retard are you to get butthurt over people pointing out the games deficiencies. I want a more complex game with different new shit in it.

but you might be projecting on the whole eradicating ethnicities thing.
:hahyou:

This is a pretigious Vicky thread. We don't welcome map painters here.
Game about 19th century imperialism. Named after the ruler of the largest empire in history.
*plays eu4 for 25 mins, accidentally creates empire twice as large as the british empire of 1890*

you dont know what a map painter is, naive fool
LoL yeah the same shit happened the first time i played hoi4,it was hot garbage. Played glorious bulgar,expected to become super power and rule the balkans and anatolia,ended up world conquest. What a shitty game lol. Same will be with vici 3,missions actually curtail the WC blobbing,haven't done that in a long time. When you have no missions,you have no goal and end up with world conquest.

Imperator has mission trees, you know.
It was added later,you know.

Isn't map painting in Victoria 2 actually easier than in EUIV? In my experience it seems so.
Yeah,and pretty boring one at that. Late game wars were tedious. I am still curious what kind of special type of a retard had come up with the idea that a basic number for a military unit should be 3k,fascinating.

War is a core point of any decent strategy game,tho with every community there is a bunch of autistic retards that enjoy pressing buttons and watching a number go up,like our dear Silva. Such creatures should be ignored.

Delterius

Arcane
No. Don't be silly. EU4's aggressive expansion is designed to be manageable, Victoria 2's infamy system is entirely random and designed to be limiting. EU4's Hegemon system is designed to be a win-more feature to accelerate world conquest, Victoria 2's GP system is designed to lead to balancing acts between the world factions. EU4's development/cores system is made so that expansion is always economically better, Victoria 2's core/culture/sphere system is made so that it is economically interesting for there to be independent vassals within your sphere. In EU4 if you play random nobody from wherevia you get space marines and ultra economics as idea groups, in Victoria 2 if you play as a secondary country that didn't rise in history then you are outright limited by the entire system of the game.

And in HoI4 you can make imperium barbarorum romanum indian raj with queen victoria wearing a toga and ruling the world from singapore, just buy our Very Legit Alt History DLC mission tree for 19,99$.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah,and pretty boring one at that. Late game wars were tedious. I am still curious what kind of special type of a retard had come up with the idea that a basic number for a military unit should be 3k,fascinating.

War is a core point of any decent strategy game,tho with every community there is a bunch of autistic retards that enjoy pressing buttons and watching a number go up,like our dear Silva. Such creatures should be ignored.
City-builder games are also cool. I don't have the confidence in PDX that they could develop a fun to play and plausible model for governing a nation in the post-Napoleonic 19th century, but if such a model existed, I would have liked to play it.

Maybe realtime strategy games were at their best when they were under the gather-build-destroy formula. No one needed to pretend too much that "this is how it worked in history".

AwesomeButton

Patron
No. Don't be silly. EU4's aggressive expansion is designed to be manageable, Victoria 2's infamy system is entirely random and designed to be limiting. EU4's Hegemon system is designed to be a win-more feature to accelerate world conquest, Victoria 2's GP system is designed to lead to balancing acts between the world factions. EU4's development/cores system is made so that expansion is always economically better, Victoria 2's core/culture/sphere system is made so that it is economically interesting for there to be independent vassals within your sphere.
First off, I don't play map-painter in EUIV or Victoria 2. I pick historical periods and countries in order to roleplay them, which is only possible in the first 5-10 decades. So it was a legitimate question.

Second, I haven't played the latest mechanics vomit that PDX have on offer for EUIV, so to the best of my knowledge they were trying to prevent snowballing and world conquest, whereas Victoria 2 is no longer supported.

Third, whatever the Great Power system was designed for, this is Paradox's AI we are talking about. Sooner or later shit goes down between great powers and as usual in Paradox shit, it's a ping-pong around the map until someone runs out of manpower. So, please don't go all Klausewitz - Metternich on me here.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I thought a question mark was enough to denote a sentence as a question, is all.

"In my experience" means exactly that. Experience in playing, playthroughs I've watched and multiplayer games I've played.

Delterius

Arcane
Isn't the sky actually orange? In my experience it is.

Well, first of all I am somehow both blind and daltonic so it was a genuine question. I don't see why react so strongly.

AwesomeButton

Patron

Well, first of all I am somehow both blind and daltonic so it was a genuine question. I don't see why react so strongly.
You sound more like retarded than daltonic, and unable to admit fault, which is in the same ballpark.

AwesomeButton

Patron

Delterius

Arcane

You sound more retarded, and unable to admit fault, which is in the same ballpark.
Take the loss and move on.
Or what - you will call your dad? :lol:
First off, I am both blind and daltonic. So it was a genuine question. Don't see why you're reacting so strongly.
Wait are you blind and daltonic? Lmao.

Just take the loss and move on, man.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

City-builder games are also cool. I don't have the confidence in PDX that they could develop a fun to play and plausible model for governing a nation in the post-Napoleonic 19th century, but if such a model existed, I would have liked to play it.

Maybe realtime strategy games were at their best when they were under the gather-build-destroy formula. No one needed to pretend too much that "this is how it worked in history".
Well you either go very complex and niche like aurora or you go simple but dynamic. Tho even age of empires 2 had evolved quite a bit with its expansions. Its campaigns have become quite a lot more complex and varied,it is fun to play them. 20-30 years ago rpgs was pretty shit,the maps were just open squares and you just build shit and fight,they had evolved quite a lot. Vici3 on the other hand looks like a steep devolution.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fanta just wants a "Victorian era" mod for EU4.

:kingcomrade:
Nah eu4 is pretty shit when it comes to economics and trade and population,also religious conversions are too simple of a mechanic. Imperator would be better for such a mod,but it looks like shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom