Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah,it looks terrible,also very empty. It killed all interest for the game in me. Also more jogger countries than the rest of the world lol. It is clear where the focus of the game devs is :).

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Finally got higher quality screenshots:
O71k3rU.png

kRqOo7h.png

BYtJePo.png

:shredder:

If you add in good ambiance, soundtrack and tasteful moving elements like ships steaming over the oceans... Damn you Paradox, just make a good game you bastards.

:negative:

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
I see they subscribe to the DarkUnderlord school of design - just drop a fuckload of buttons all over the screen. If users complain add some more. Proper UI design truly is a dying art.

Map's ok. Vicky 2 and Ricky were better.

Tigranes

Arcane
Those Paradox guys must be shitting themselves right now, they've lost fantadomat and that's 1 less download on the torrent

It looks like we can see the higher level provinces in India from there - and then each one is made up of many smaller territories?

Delterius

Arcane
Those Paradox guys must be shitting themselves right now, they've lost fantadomat and that's 1 less download on the torrent

It looks like we can see the higher level provinces in India from there - and then each one is made up of many smaller territories?
Seems like the map just adds everyone to your map color seamlessly, including your puppets. Biggest change I see in India is Bengal being a puppet rather than a direct British colony. That's a lot of pops under a puppet. So many you could probably start as the Bengal puppet, modernize and take over the Raj.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
For the last 15 years I pretend that their games are all about elves killing orcs. If mechanics are fun to play the game is nice. That's it. No historical relevance is required.
Yeah,at this point expecting historical accuracy from paracux games is sign of mental degradation.

lol at this point expecting a decent game from paracux is a sign of mental degradation

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Buy it like a good goy,it is not like their last 4 games are shit lol.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Buy it like a good goy,it is not like their last 4 games are shit lol.

why do you play games that you think are shit? serious question
:deathclaw:
I don't,have you see me bitch about ck2 or eu4. They are fine even if they have problems. Also hoi4 is shit but it has the kaiserreich,eu4 on other hands have a lot of good mods. Now why are you constantly shilling for retarded paradox things???? Are you a paracux employ?

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I like nuance. If people were stupidly positive about paradox you'd think I hated them. Just dislike when criticism is derived from stubborn misinformation or rose-tinted nostalgia glasses.

Anyway, I thought you had "bitched about" eu4 quite a bit, but I'm happy to admit I might be confusing you for someone else.

Harthwain

Magister

O71k3rU.png

kRqOo7h.png

BYtJePo.png
I like what I see. They really managed to capture the feel of a hand-drawn map.

The naval routes are interesting. I suspect they aren't there just for decoration.

I am wondering how they will handly navies, because it looks like they are going away from "sea is a province that can be traversed only by ships" concept. Or is the zoom not big enough for them to show up?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I like nuance. If people were stupidly positive about paradox you'd think I hated them. Just dislike when criticism is derived from stubborn misinformation or rose-tinted nostalgia glasses.

Anyway, I thought you had "bitched about" eu4 quite a bit, but I'm happy to admit I might be confusing you for someone else.
Oh i bitch about stupid shit in the game and cunt devs all the time,but never said that the game is bad :). I dislike what i dislike and don't try to hide it. Vici 3 could end up a good game,but really doubt it. The lead is notoriously shit as johan,the graphics are the same colourless garbage as imperator and ck3. Thus most likely the same engine. And what i read about it,leaves me unimpressed.

Imperator > EU4.

Get your Mana shit out of my lawn.
Go kill yourself lol.

Silva

Arcane
The hate is strong in you, kid. Try the litany against hate:

"Hate is the mind-killer
I must face my hate and let it flow through me
I'll look where it went
And when it had passed
Only I will remain."

Come on, say it

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah,it looks terrible,also very empty. It killed all interest for the game in me. Also more jogger countries than the rest of the world lol. It is clear where the focus of the game devs is :).
The hate is strong in you, kid. Try the litany against hate:

"Hate is the mind-killer
I must face my hate and let it flow through me
I'll look where it went
And when it had passed
Only I will remain."

Come on, say it
Go suck some fat dick lol. Hate is good,it is spice of life,it gives vigour and motivation !

Andnjord

Arcane

O71k3rU.png

kRqOo7h.png

BYtJePo.png

While the map is undeniably very pretty, I am amazed by how little information the UI actually provides in comparison to that of Victoria II. To access ANY sort of information you have to go through multiple separate screens, whereas in Vicky II you could see at a glance (off the top of my head) your budget, sphere of influence shenanigans, total population, tech research progress, military size, your nation's rank in military, economy and prestige... Quite impressive that they'd manage to make it so much less informative.

I'll join the others in ranking this "cautiously pessimistic". :negative:

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane

Maybe they want to let modders mod-in slave breeds depending on origin. The finest slaves are of submissive Benin stock, don't buy the aggressive Congoids that crook Isaac Rosenberg is trying to sell you!

:troll:

Silva

Arcane

O71k3rU.png

kRqOo7h.png

BYtJePo.png
I like what I see. They really managed to capture the feel of a hand-drawn map.

The naval routes are interesting. I suspect they aren't there just for decoration.

I am wondering how they will handly navies, because it looks like they are going away from "sea is a province that can be traversed only by ships" concept. Or is the zoom not big enough for them to show up?
Honestly, as pretty as it looks this map must be some early proof of concept or something, as it seems low on functionality, and the final map will probably be way different. Even the inclined view angle make little sense and would be awkward to manipulate.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Maybe they want to let modders mod-in slave breeds depending on origin. The finest slaves are of submissive Benin stock, don't buy the aggressive Congoids that crook Isaac Rosenberg is trying to sell you!

:troll:
I wouldn't be surprised if there is no slave :lol:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #1 - Pops
Dev Diary 1.png
ClergyCrop.png

You, the player, might be in charge of the country, but you’re not in charge of the Pops and can’t manipulate them directly. Yet everything you do to the country affects them, and they in turn will react in what they perceive to be their own best interests. A large part of your game will consist of trying to sate your population’s appetites for material goods or political reform. But most actions you will take aren’t to the benefit of every Pop in your nation, and by making life better for one part of the population you may inadvertently upset another demographic.

The most important aspect of Pops are their Professions, which reflects the types of jobs it carries out in the building where they work. A Pop’s profession determines its social class and can affect its wages, political strength, what other professions it might qualify for, and particularly which political Interest Groups it’s prone to supporting (which you will hear lots more about in future Dev Diaries.) Some of the Pop professions you will encounter in Victoria 3 are Aristocrats, Capitalists, Bureaucrats, Officers, Shopkeepers, Machinists, Laborers, and Peasants. Investing in industries that provide job opportunities for the kinds of professions you want to encourage in your country is key to the “society building” gameplay of Victoria 3.

Every variation of Profession, Culture, Religion, and Workplace in the world gets its own unique Pop. At any given time this results in many tens of thousands of Pops in the world working, migrating, procreating, and agitating.
Aristocrats.png
lachek · May 27, 2021 at 18:00

" style="box-sizing: border-box; display: inline-block; max-width: 100%; cursor: pointer;">
Aristocrats.png

The people that make up a Pop are distinguished into Workforce and Dependents. Members of the Workforce keep the buildings in the game operational and collect a wage from them in return. Those who cannot or aren’t permitted to be officially employed are considered Dependents. They collect only a small income from odd jobs and government programs.

Laws affect who is included in each category. At game start most countries do not accept women working and collecting a wage outside the home but by reforming laws governing the rights of women more Dependent Pops will enter the Workforce over time. By abolishing child labor, the amount of income Dependents bring home will decrease but will make it easier to educate your populace, increasing their overall Literacy. After a bloody war many Dependents of soldiers may be left without sufficient income, and you may decide to institute pensions to help your population recover.

In short: nothing in your country runs without Pops, and everything about your country affects those Pops, who in turn provide new opportunities and challenges during your tumultuous journey through the Victorian era and beyond.

I have oh so much more to say, but that is all for this week! You will hear much more from me in future Dev Diaries. Next week Martin will return to explain something quite central to the game - Capacities!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom