Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Victoria 3

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Multi-headed Cow, May 21, 2021.

1. Nutria Cipher Patron

Nutria
    Strap Yourselves In
    I won't even be surprised if they actually call all farmers in the game from all cultures around the world "peasants".

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm trying to understand the normies' reverence for Victoria 2, but all I can explain it with is just that this period is less well-known than the Middle Ages or the Early Modern period.

Vicky 2 is full to the brim with stupid game mechanics, like the influence nation mechanic, the budget sliders (taken straight out of as HoI3 and going all the way back to EU1), the "AI Builds Factories=Laissez-Faire capitalism" concept, and many others, most of them transplanted directly from other games and not fitting the specific age.

It's a lot easier to name the good parts:
    - Great powers club, getting special mechanics for being a member
    - Growing from a late-medieval state to an industrialized regional power as Japan for example
    - Playing the game of postponing reforms and haggling with political movements
    - Condensed, in comparison to their other games, historical period being the focus of the game
    - For once, a good soundtrack, because they took actual music instead of torturing people with their own compositions
    - Probably a couple of other things I'm missing but not more than 2-3.
    Edit:
    - Oh yes, if you are the kind of illiterate gamer mixing up historical contexts - there is the giggles-inducing opportunity to play a cartoonish racist, with the joke being that the cartoon is drawn by the same rabid SJWs you claim to hate. :)

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    • Agree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    It is a factor, but not the only one. It is also the economic part of the game, it is more developed than other paradox games of the time.

Yeah, like every other Paradox game in existence. Victoria II was the best Paradox game of its era, but that is damning it with faint praise. Paradox has always been making overrated trash.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Kalin Unwanted Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Unwanted
    Compare Imperialism 2 to Vicky 2 and you will see how solid gameplay and simple but elegant systems always pwn mega big ass kitchen sink soya sandbox design.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Sranchammer Arcane

Sranchammer

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    Theoretically, one could make a mod that removes mechanism yet improves gameplay.

^ Top  
  6. Axioms Learned

Axioms
    As a big fan of Imperialism, but actually not a huge fan of the sequel, I still like Vicky more. Imperialism is more polished of course but Vicky 2 like CK2 has/had tons of potential. The problem of course is Paradox never actualized the potential of their games.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Demo.Graph Learned

Demo.Graph
    That was Vicky 1. Vicky 2 had some disco remixes.

Edit: that "buy and subscribe". :d1p:

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Are you sure you're not letting your hate-clouded vision speak here? What I remember from Imperialism 2 was a more fleshed-out Colonize, with zero of the social/political/industrial/economical simulation that Vicky2 aims for.

See, the problem with the kind of criticisms that are cropping up now is that when you ask the critics "Ok, what game does it better than Vicky2 then?" nobody has a honest good answer. Instead citing theoretical bullshit or games which scope has absolutely nothing to do with Pdox games (like Imperialism).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. AgentFransis Arbiter Patron

AgentFransis
    Retarded argument. Things can be shit even when no direct equivalents exist or they're even worse.

Game about 19th century imperialism has absolutely nothing to do with other game about 19th century imperialism.

:nocountryforshitposters:

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Harthwain Cipher

Harthwain
    I got interested in this Imperialism you guys talk about. On the surface level it looks like Civilization. How it looks in detail? And which is better; Imperialism I or Imperialism II?

^ Top  
  11. Nutria Cipher Patron

Nutria
    Strap Yourselves In
    It's very different from Civilization. It's worth playing. I would not blame anyone who gets bored with it. I would say that you have to be interested in that historical period to enjoy it.

I find Imperialism II to be much more gamey. I guess that's why it's more popular. It doesn't really try to follow history in the way that an earlier game like Imperialism I or Conquest of the New World was expected to.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Except we're talking about Vicky2 here, the best game to come out of the Pdox formula. Which makes you...

A) a retardo for pouring hundreds of hours into EU4, a game clearly inferior to the one you're calling shit. Or

B) a troll for talking shit in a discussion about games you dont even like.

So what are you, a retardo or a troll?

:hmmm:

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Niggerino Scholar

Niggerino
    It's fantastic, but it can snowball pretty hard. Like, your merchant fleet can get annihilated in one bad war and that puts you in the dump for quite a while. I prefer 2 but i didn't play 1 much.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Niggerino Scholar

Niggerino
    I'm playing vicky 2 right now and man this game has a ton of problems. First of all the infamy system is complete dogshit. Second, there's a massive shortage of almost all raw resources. So if you don't control any cotton provinces, forget about making (or having clothes). If you don't control iron, forget about having steel, etc. Third, the internal migration system is a complete mess, doesn't work and makes no sense at all. You can have a million unemployed laborers in one province and in the next one have a giant empty goldmine with no workers to work in. The tech tree is alright, but it kind of sucks that every civilized nation has the same capacity to research. And I wish ideas and technology were separated. Other than that it's pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. AgentFransis Arbiter Patron

AgentFransis
    You seemed to have rolled a 1 on your reading comprehension, insight and logic checks.

I actually quite like the Vickys though they certainly have their share of issues. I just pointed out your argument is retarded in general. And I certainly don't see what EU4 has to do with any of this.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    The research is actually somewhat varied between nations as it partially depends on literacy and POPs so its at least trying to be different. The issue there is you run out of techs to research too fast.

Also the obvious main issue with Vic1 and 2 is that the economy literally does not work and relies on making shit up from nothing (money and resources and also demand for products). Global market literally buys up everything you produce, its that broken.

POP mechanics are all weird too, obviously, and resource production never made any sense in any Pdox game. In HoI series you have thousands of res points produced doing nothing and at end game you run out of resources instead. So yea, no real differences anywhere.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    thats not a problem

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    No gameplay, just chubby Swedes spinning tales:

Hopefully this is not representative of the final product.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    • Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • decline x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    LoL wiz had become a fat faggot,before he was just a skinny faggot. Also you could smell the sjwism from those two soygoyz :).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Sranchammer Arcane

Sranchammer

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    This is gonna take some massive modding to save my Confederacuh

^ Top  
  22. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    Just hit ` and type "annex GBR" and then hit enter

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Niggerino Scholar

Niggerino
    Boring video

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Axioms Learned

Axioms
    That video actually puts me off from the game. Why can't this be in text? What is gained from video? Takes longer to get through, have to listen to dumb opinions from uncharismatic dudes, doesn't show gameplay.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    This has become the new norm in PR. Make videos about everything, even if you could just sum it up in text and save time for everyone involved, including the audience.

• Agree x 3
    • decline x 2
    • Rage x 2
    • meh x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.