Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Devs announce stockpiles for 2024. These frigging losers. Why didn't you just do all this shit at the start?

thesecret1

Arcane
Devs announce stockpiles for 2024. These frigging losers. Why didn't you just do all this shit at the start?
Because they didn't think they'd need it, were convinced that getting rid of that stuff was a genius move that simplified everything without sacrificing anything, and are re-implementing now with gritted teeth after getting shat on by their audience.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Johan just posted yesterday in his 10 year EU4 retrospective that half the fun of pdox games was moving little armies around. Surprised he is allowed to say that lmao. Also EU4 has now been around almost as long as the first 3 EUs combined.

I have begun to think PDX made good games in spite of this guy being there, he seems genuinely retarded. The worst thing about EU4 is the awful wack-a-mole combat.
Yea what good stuff has he even made? He made the release version of imperator: rome for pete's sake lmao.
Johan was lead programmer and designer for Europa Universalis, EU II, Hearts of Iron, Victoria, Crusader Kings, and HoI II, continuing to be involved with EU III, HoI III, and Victoria II. However, he had declined fairly hard even by 2010, and seems to have achieved mediocrity in the following decade. :M

I mean fine, its not like I have been following these peoples careers. All recent evidence points to him being bad at his job so maybe he has hit early senility. Time to take old yeller out the back. And its obvious a bunch of people have left PDX, gone into maintenance mode or are playing lapdog to the corporate overseers given the quality and direction of recent releases. Its just fun to blame Johan because he has that classic punchable face look.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
It took halfwits A YEAR to announce that their progressive shit is not working and go back to V2 mechanics. And it is a pure delight to see casual trash to butthurt about it.
ff5vejhe8vib1.jpg

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
It took halfwits A YEAR to announce that their progressive shit is not working and go back to V2 mechanics. And it is a pure delight to see casual trash to butthurt about it.
ff5vejhe8vib1.jpg
There's a thread on the V3 forums complaining that devs rejected core stuff people begged for the whole time especially since the leak and are now caving and the Paradrone butthurt is strong. Those disagree ratings lmao.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I'm sure there is some totally legitimate reason for this but the fact that V3 concurrent users dropped to 2329 yesterday is still so glorious. Like you expected it to be around 2600-2800, but 2300? Hot damn.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Delterius must be banished from the codex forevermore. He got thanked for a constructive thread on the Vicky 3 forums by the devs. That is a stain on the honor of this toptier shithole.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I'm losing my fucking mind right now!

In an attempt to provide a dumb meaningless feature that no one asked for and maybe to provide an excuse to call their new DLC Dawn Of Wonder, Paradox Development Studio added a day night cycle to the game. Well for obvious reasons it doesn't actually happen daily but over a user specified weekly/monthly period. Now that seems dumb but w/e, Swedes you know?

Except it gets better. This feature, which again no one asked for, and which was front and center in the marketing, doesn't even work. Because, to the devastation of Weebs and Japanese everywhere, due to technical limitations, the sun rises in the fucking west.

Land Of The Setting Sun achievement for making Japan the first great power on a time interval where the suns is setting to the East when?

thesecret1

Arcane

In an attempt to provide a dumb meaningless feature that no one asked for and maybe to provide an excuse to call their new DLC Dawn Of Wonder, Paradox Development Studio added a day night cycle to the game. Well for obvious reasons it doesn't actually happen daily but over a user specified weekly/monthly period. Now that seems dumb but w/e, Swedes you know?

Except it gets better. This feature, which again no one asked for, and which was front and center in the marketing, doesn't even work. Because, to the devastation of Weebs and Japanese everywhere, due to technical limitations, the sun rises in the fucking west.

Land Of The Setting Sun achievement for making Japan the first great power on a time interval where the suns is setting to the East when?
...what kind of technical limitation forces that? Gross incompetence and laziness?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

...what kind of technical limitation forces that? Gross incompetence and laziness?
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/sun-rises-in-the-west.1597847/

Hit the dev only comments button. It actually does make sense from a technical perspective but then why add a day/night cycle?

thesecret1

Arcane

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/sun-rises-in-the-west.1597847/

Hit the dev only comments button. It actually does make sense from a technical perspective but then why add a day/night cycle?
It reads like someone trying hard to deflect. Nothing said is actually a "technical" limitation. If their lighting setup doesn't allow for this... then re-do the fucking lighting setup, are you fucking kidding me? It's a MAP. Don't tell me you can't re-light a fucking MAP. Lazy pieces of shit. It reads as "We have like, 5 people working on this piece of shit, so anything more complex than adding a couple modifiers or making a script or two gets vetoed. We made a point light move and changed some materials on our building models – pay us $5."

Well for obvious reasons it doesn't actually happen daily but over a user specified weekly/monthly period. Now that seems dumb
How does it seem dumb? If you want to have a day / night cycle (which you might - night versions of a map can look pretty and be a way of showcasing regional development by having more lights in built up areas) but you're dealing with a game where the ticks are daily or large chunks of a day rather than hourly, then having a day-night cycle be decoupled from time and instead be something that appears cyclically over some other span such as days or weeks is actually the only way I can think of that you'd actually be able to have a day-night cycle. It wouldn't be realistic, but it's probably the best you can do if your ticks aren't hourly.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Anyway, the peak this weekend was 8337. Not exactly the 10k gate crashing people expected, with both patch 1.4 and patch 1.5 beta releasing. I guess we'll see how Spheres Of Influence does early next year and then we'll know if we should write this game off or not. It likely won't be dumped but it will be sidelined.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You could provide the fucking code for the fixes you're suggesting and PDX would fuck it up. Bring constructive with these people is futile.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Johan just posted yesterday in his 10 year EU4 retrospective that half the fun of pdox games was moving little armies around. Surprised he is allowed to say that lmao. Also EU4 has now been around almost as long as the first 3 EUs combined.

I have begun to think PDX made good games in spite of this guy being there, he seems genuinely retarded. The worst thing about EU4 is the awful wack-a-mole combat.
Yea what good stuff has he even made? He made the release version of imperator: rome for pete's sake lmao.
Johan was lead programmer and designer for Europa Universalis, EU II, Hearts of Iron, Victoria, Crusader Kings, and HoI II, continuing to be involved with EU III, HoI III, and Victoria II. However, he had declined fairly hard even by 2010, and seems to have achieved mediocrity in the following decade. :M
Often, the person credited as "lead designer" is not the one who came up with all the best ideas on his own. He has a managing position and lets his underlings work on most of the details.

It's likely he always had meh ideas but the people who worked under him managed to convince him to add better stuff.
Then, later, with Imperator specifically, he became too full of himself and stopped listening, wanting to make his own work of genius instead.

Many such cases actually.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Often, the person credited as "lead designer" is not the one who came up with all the best ideas on his own. He has a managing position and lets his underlings work on most of the details.

It's likely he always had meh ideas but the people who worked under him managed to convince him to add better stuff.
Then, later, with Imperator specifically, he became too full of himself and stopped listening, wanting to make his own work of genius instead.

Well to be clear, he was the lead *programmer* on earlier titles, which is a little better than lead *designer*.

kris

Arcane

I would say the peak of his career was EU2 which he did pretty much everthing on. Including free patches that he made from home after work. Since then both his ideas and work have declined in my opinion, but back in EU2 time he more or less WAS paradox. Now it is a big company were he have a smaller role and the failure of Imperator probably won't change that.

Last edited:

LizardWizard

Cipher

I would say the peak of his career was EU2 which he did pretty much everthing on. Including free patches that he made from home after work. Since then both his ideas and work have declined in my opinion, but back in EU2 time he more or less WAS paradox. Now it is a big company were he have a smaller role and the failure of Imperator probably won't change that.

Correct answer. Johan has been washed and in corporate whore mode for many years now. He wasn't really involved much in stuff like Vicky 2, CK2/Stellaris (which propelled them into mainstream). Even EU4 was released in an embarrassingly barebones state and he wasn't even design lead on EU4's most well-received early DLCs like Art of War.

nGG5n61h.jpg

Imperator beta players were telling him straight up that his design was shit and he refused to listen.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I just love to see Victoria 3 slow decay and downfall. With developement team staggering incompetence showing everywhere and failing to improve even one aspect of the game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom