Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Yet somehow the rabid PDX lickspittles swore up and down the game would be fixed eventually.

Told you this was another Imperator. Worse, even, because Imperator is at least good for one or two playthroughs.

thesecret1

Arcane
There is one thing PDX could do to salvage the game. Think people would notice if, with the next major update, Paradox just gave them V2, changing the 2 to 3 on the menu screen?

thesecret1

Arcane
Just call it something else and then make a proper Victoria game.
You might be onto something there. Rebrand it as "Queue Simulator: Victorian era", call it an idle game rather than a strategy game, sell it for $5 and, you know, I'd say "Damn, this is pretty impressive for an idle game."

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Honestly even accounting for all the limitations and bugs of V2, V2: Now With Paradox New Era Modding Capability, would be a fantastic game. Imagine how much shit even CK3 would be eating these days without mods to save it.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
2859 last night. Finally players down below 3000 again. Wonder how far it'll crash before SoI drops. Although you could argue Baldur's Gate 3 releasing has artificially depressed numbers for this week.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Victoria 3 actually started development in 2014 and it was pretty far into it in 2017. So 5 years later it releases and is a shitshow. God bless Paradox. What excuse could a game with 8 years of dev time have to be so trashy?

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Honestly even accounting for all the limitations and bugs of V2, V2: Now With Paradox New Era Modding Capability, would be a fantastic game. Imagine how much shit even CK3 would be eating these days without mods to save it.
What if I told you there was an open sourced version of Victoria 2 in development.

He wanted to start his project because he got fed up with the dsync issues that Vicky2 has, I think its a good idea. But yeah this is a huge undertaking, I don't know how its going to go for them tbh.

What if I told you there was an open sourced version of Victoria 2 in development.

He wanted to start his project because he got fed up with the dsync issues that Vicky2 has, I think its a good idea. But yeah this is a huge undertaking, I don't know how its going to go for them tbh.

Project Alice has been making much more rapid progress (technically playable at the moment, albeit with a lot of stuff missing, mainly AI-related).
https://github.com/schombert/Project-Alice

Mainly because it's being done by an autist instead of an attention-whoring streamer or whatever spudgun is.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Spud is an idiot. I watched him stream a few things including Imperator. Being a streamer is a good job for someone like him.

I just generally don't think open source Vicky2 clones are gonna work. Putting aside any potential legal issues, even pretending they don't exist, there's no way these guys create a game that can compete performance wise. Paradox making "V2 with UI and performance improvements and the new fancy modding capabilities and fixing longstanding issues and then revamping the top 3 problem areas without totally redoing the core game loop" is a very high value endeavor.

Randos with no team and no experience basically raw cloning the game and potentially fixing the longstanding economy issues less so. And "streamers who think MP is a key component"? Even if it was someone who wasn't Spud I still wouldn't respect that.

I just generally don't think open source Vicky2 clones are gonna work. Putting aside any potential legal issues, even pretending they don't exist, there's no way these guys create a game that can compete performance wise.
You mean no way they can't, right? Victoria 2 is an ancient engine, fully single-threaded (Paradox can claim otherwise but V2 drops inputs on max speed which is a pretty clear sign everything important is on one thread), compiled with Microsoft's dogshit visual c++ and probably incompetently written. Project Alice on max speed runs extremely fast by comparison. Now it doesn't have all the simulation features yet (AI is mostly not there although it can do wars now), so it will lose speed eventually, but given that it currently runs something like ten times as fast as Victoria 2 and does have most of the simulation in place already, it seems unlikely that it WON'T be substantially faster when complete.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I just generally don't think open source Vicky2 clones are gonna work. Putting aside any potential legal issues, even pretending they don't exist, there's no way these guys create a game that can compete performance wise.
You mean no way they can't, right? Victoria 2 is an ancient engine, fully single-threaded (Paradox can claim otherwise but V2 drops inputs on max speed which is a pretty clear sign everything important is on one thread), compiled with Microsoft's dogshit visual c++ and probably incompetently written. Project Alice on max speed runs extremely fast by comparison. Now it doesn't have all the simulation features yet (AI is mostly not there although it can do wars now), so it will lose speed eventually, but given that it currently runs something like ten times as fast as Victoria 2 and does have most of the simulation in place already, it seems unlikely that it WON'T be substantially faster when complete.
I mean compared to if Paradox was doing the thing I described in quotes. They can *probably* have better performance than V2, though I'd have to look at their code to really know.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
Any of you played one of the cold war mods for victoria 3 yet? They're pretty fun if a bit barebones still. See a lot of potential there. The moddability of this game is for sure its greatest asset.

Any of you played one of the cold war mods for victoria 3 yet? They're pretty fun if a bit barebones still. See a lot of potential there. The moddability of this game is for sure its greatest asset.
I've played NWO and CWE. Victoria 2's gameplay doesn't lend itself well to that era, I've found.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
I've played NWO and CWE. Victoria 2's gameplay doesn't lend itself well to that era, I've found.
Yea I played those as well. But Cold War Project Alpha for victoria 3 is also very good, in fact I think it's better than any of the cold war mods for victoria 2 already at this early stage in development.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
They announced Companies and after initial paradrones' cheering forums and reddit started to fill with "why do we need this useless shit" stuff. Good times.
Also, they are hitting the all-time low concurrent playercount since release
Last 30 Days4,593.6-213.4-4.44%7,598

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Yea I played those as well. But Cold War Project Alpha for victoria 3 is also very good, in fact I think it's better than any of the cold war mods for victoria 2 already at this early stage in development.
Vicky3 has access to the CK3 style modding system, so a Cold War game there is going to be way better than Vicky2 simply for that reason. And performance shouldn't be an issue since I assume the timeframe is way shorter, so much less of an issue of lategame bloat.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
They announced Companies and after initial paradrones' cheering forums and reddit started to fill with "why do we need this useless shit" stuff. Good times.
Also, they are hitting the all-time low concurrent playercount since release
Last 30 Days4,593.6-213.4-4.44%7,598
Post-launch support has been pretty damn ass. The first dlc especially was AWFUL.

thesecret1

Arcane
Paradox bussiness strategy:
1. have a great, but old game that remained popular for over a decade, one that their customer dearly wants a sequel to
2. proceed to make a sequel, but have it be nothing like its predecessor, the few mechanics they have in common getting raped to death
3. ban dissenters from their forums and release dogshit DLCs that feel more like an insult than playable content
4. ???
5. Profit?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom