Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
CKIII is also trending upwards. Stellaris and EUIV are slowly starting to trend downwards, so that probably signals for new releases. HoIIV continues to pull insane numbers and growth.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
The week since releasing 1.7/SoI shows an increase from 7-8k to 20k of the daily peaks of concurrent players in steamcharts. Looks like they are turning it around
If you look at the trend, the in between months with no content releases, they have definitely been growing the loyal base steadily. Maybe enough to keep churning out DLC.
They jumped between massive sale to patch to sale and latest dlc had influx of players because SoI is the last DLC included in grand edition for free. Meaning they exhausted their credit of game viability with latest dlc. Two or three months will show how playerbase will decline.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
How fucking shit do you have to be to not manage to have events properly tied to characters, in a PDX game? The head of the Bourgeoisie just held a "rousing speech" in favor of a law his party opposes.

Deflowerer

Arcane
CKIII is also trending upwards. Stellaris and EUIV are slowly starting to trend downwards, so that probably signals for new releases. HoIIV continues to pull insane numbers and growth.

EUV already announced in all but name.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
So yea, I played around a bit, mainly Switzerland.
The game is still fundamentally broken on various levels.
The AI is shit.
The UI is shit.
The basic gameplay loop is okay but has too many hurdles associated with it.

As Switzerland you're already one of the most progressive countries in the game, so optimizing laws is unnecessary.
You're landlocked (Yea I know I could take Piedmont but lets stay historical for a sec) and your neighbors are too dumb to provide enough material like sulfur to run your industry. They're also all extremely unstable so routes get disrupted constantly. France being a hotbed of revolution I'll accept, but I saw America fracture in three parts more often than not. And I don't mean the Civil War, I mean "American Aristocratic Revolt" vs "CSA" vs "United American Synods". For some reason I also had massive issues providing grain for my nation, the prices always remained extremely high regardless of how many farms I built.
Power Blocs don't matter at all, are a net negative to minors that join and a hassle to the leaders.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

My bet is they won't call it EU. First, it will be deemed too "colonialist", second, the timeframe is too different. Maybe they haven't decided on a name yet.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane

My bet is they won't call it EU. First, it will be deemed too "colonialist", second, the timeline is too different. Maybe they haven't decided on a name yet.
Universal Europa, here we go

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The AI is shit.
The UI is shit.
The basic gameplay loop is okay but has too many hurdles associated with it.
I thought the AI and UI are okay for a game of this type, and the basic gameplay loop is dull. You can easily automate it (probably why the AI is decent).
Its just make construction goods cheap, build more construction, make construction goods cheap, build more construction, upgrade construction when you can, make the new construction goods cheap..... and if you are playing a regular optimal game, try to change production types away from landlords and towards capitalists. Import landlord associated goods, export capitalist associated goods, pass reforms.
Like Dwarf Fortress, the game is easy, and the only actual difficulty comes from the player getting bored, and getting reckless, and overextending on something.

Vatnik Wumao
Its just make construction goods cheap, build more construction, make construction goods cheap, build more construction, upgrade construction when you can, make the new construction goods cheap..... and if you are playing a regular optimal game, try to change production types away from landlords and towards capitalists. Import landlord associated goods, export capitalist associated goods, pass reforms.
1yHF2Vt.gif

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How fucking shit do you have to be to not manage to have events properly tied to characters, in a PDX game? The head of the Bourgeoisie just held a "rousing speech" in favor of a law his party opposes.
If his party is in government he will support laws which are against his interest group's ideology. Typical behavior of a politician.

The amount of opportunity for history larp still differs a lot between countries and is still insufficient. They still have a lot of work ahead of them until playthroughs are acceptably historical. I think they've done a good job giving France an individuality, with the JE "Divided Monarchists". Individuality is fine, but the problem is that the JE's conditions are very anti-historical, and really teach fake history. It could have been realized a lot better and still provide good gameplay, which I'm trying to do. I guess the same applies for other big JEs.

The countries are starting to feel different, with Britain, Russia, Germany, the Ottoman Empire and France leading the way. The USA and Austria are still in a shameful condition though.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Just an update, as I was still thinking on that subject - it was Independence day two days ago, and from Facebook I learn that there are people out there sharing memes and actually believing (some of them) that the war for indepenence started because some American colonists poured tea on the ground and this enraged the British. That's the kind of history Paradox games teach, but it wasn't always like that.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Americans will never accept that their holy war for independence was a proxy conflict between England and France (or even an internal power struggle within English parliament).
Bulgarians on the other hand readily accept our holy independence struggle was a proxy between Moscow and Istanbul. Cynical bitter eastern Europeans once again proving to have superior understanding of real politics. We should make the next Victoria type game.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Its just make construction goods cheap, build more construction, make construction goods cheap, build more construction, upgrade construction when you can, make the new construction goods cheap...
Try that with a state like Central America, where you're dirt poor and can't even really get the basic loop up. The best way to deal with the fracturing by the way is to do NOTHING, lower taxes to minimum and hope and pray.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Americans will never accept that their holy war for independence was a proxy conflict between England and France (or even an internal power struggle within English parliament).
Bulgarians on the other hand readily accept our holy independence struggle was a proxy between Moscow and Istanbul. Cynical bitter eastern Europeans once again proving to have superior understanding of real politics. We should make the next Victoria type game.
Hence Americans became who they are, and Bulgarians, well, they have good salads. Constructing a positive national mythology is a sign of a nation's vigor.

The UI is shit.
That's trying a bit too hard. Tooltips within tooltips are a leap in UI, and a huge positive.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Its just make construction goods cheap, build more construction, make construction goods cheap, build more construction, upgrade construction when you can, make the new construction goods cheap...
Try that with a state like Central America, where you're dirt poor and can't even really get the basic loop up. The best way to deal with the fracturing by the way is to do NOTHING, lower taxes to minimum and hope and pray.
I haven't played with the microstates there, but I did make Ethiopia the #1 GDP neoliberal empire, and there's barely any iron in that region.

Hence Americans became who they are, and Bulgarians, well, they have good salads. Constructing a positive national mythology is a sign of a nation's vigor.
Yes, but we aren't talking about positive national mythology. We are talking about common sense understanding of political realism.
Of that, Bulgarians have much more than Americans. Though as suggested by BlackAdderBG, the sovok variety of bulgarian are themselves into a certain national mythos, and its not even their own.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

The UI is shit.
That's trying a bit too hard. Tooltips within tooltips are a leap in UI, and a huge positive.
Jon Shafer's theory of dynamic/recursive tooltips was genius. Paradox's actual implementation of his theory is a C-.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Jon Shafer's theory of dynamic/recursive tooltips was genius.
Absolutely. One of my favorite innovations in video games.
Paradox's actual implementation of his theory is a C-.
Why? I think its fine. The UI in general is okay. It maybe needs more search functionality on long lists, maybe needs more icons/color coding on some keywords. That's honestly about it.
I wish I could change production methods of individual buildings, but this isn't a UI problem, its a game logic problem.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I wish I could change production methods of individual buildings
But you can do this on individual buildings. Do you mean building levels?
Last I played, I could change it on individual STACKS of buildings, in the given province. Can I do it on actual individual buildings?
If I have 10 textile mills in Lower Nile province, can I make that 5 normal clothes, 5 luxury clothes focused?
Maybe the UI is bad after all and I didn't figure it out :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom