Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can I do it on actual individual buildings?
That's called "building levels" in their language, and no. This is in effect setting a percentage of the output to be produced using one production method and another percentage in another? I think it would make sense to have it, esp. in cases where you have all your production of a good concentrated in the same state, which is to say in one "building".

Related to my ranting about historical accuracy and JEs here is a post that does a good summary:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...24-whats-next-after-1-7.1693531/post-29746204
Considering that improving Journal Entries appears to be a key plan going forward, I have some suggestions from my own experience playing the game:

- Please improve the EIC's Journal Entries. I've made a forum post about it but I categorically do not like the way forming India as the EIC works - I think an independent India should be created via revolution or via a separate JE, not by declaring independence as the company. The "success point" of the EIC should be transitioning from an apartheid state into a dominion with Home Rule that has all the indian cultures as accepted, I think.

- I feel like the Austro-Hungarian compromise should be a little bit more of a loss state for Austria - ideally, they'd probably be aiming for a more pluralistic state without massive compromises to powerful Hungarian landowners. Obviously, I don't think the player should be encouraged to go ahead with their germanization policies as a "victory" state.

- Reconstruction in the US needs to be easier. 20% loyalists is actually insanely difficult to accomplish, let alone with the radicalism you get in the region - it's actually easier to make African-Americans a primary culture and get black presidents in the 1850s than it is to successfully reintegrate southerners into the union, which is crazy

- Countries need to have actual incentives to go against the Risorgimento. As it stands, pretty much every italian AI nation will declare support for unification, and as a result a player who wants to make use of the mechanic to foster radicalism in non-unifying Italian states will almost always be unable to.

- The "River of Coffee" JE for Brazil is absurdly difficult because the game mechanically does not create enough demand for coffee at the moment, even if the price of it is at literal rock bottom. This also makes it really difficult to complete the Brazillian National Identity JE without a massive amount of warfare

- Any JE that gives you assimilation as a reward should have this reward removed, because assimilation is almost useless right now - the "Conquest of Algeria" journal entry, for instance, will give you assimilation in the algerian coast. The problem with this is that assimilation literally cannot work in a minority group's homeland state, so this bonus does nothing except for foreign populations that do mass migrations to Algeria, which is clearly not its intended purpose. Either that, or Assimilation as a mechanic should be fundamentally reworked

- It is absurdly difficult to make the Boxer Rebellion happen. If you're doing well, it won't happen, and if you're doing badly you'll probably splinter before it happens.

- The Meiji Restoration operates on the assumption that the Shogunate are outside of the government but the Shogun is still in power. It makes it seem like the shogunate is abolishing itself, which doesn't make a large amount of sense. Outside of that, I'd say the Meiji Restoration is one of the better JEs, so less complaints here

- The "Earning Recognition" JE operates on standard of living and GDP per capita, which are ridiculously difficult to increase for countries with very large populations - I don't think this makes a lot of sense, considering that a few great powers frequently won't have GDP per capita and SoL in the top 50, which will frequently be dominated by random tiny british protectorates. I genuinely believe it makes more sense for this to be changed to total GDP, rather than GDP per capita. Literacy rate certainly makes sense, but I also think technological progress should count towards earning recognition. This JE was added to try and make earning recognition diplomatically more of an option, but right now it seems like not only do the diplomatic maluses to recognition count more than the diplomatic bonuses, it also seems like earning it through warfare has gotten harder, too.

Lol:
Reconstruction in the US needs to be easier. 20% loyalists is actually insanely difficult to accomplish, let alone with the radicalism you get in the region - it's actually easier to make African-Americans a primary culture and get black presidents in the 1850s than it is to successfully reintegrate southerners into the union, which is crazy

Swede's reaction to this complaint: :troll:

Last edited:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
That's called "building levels" in their language, and no. This is in effect setting a percentage of the output to be produced using one production method and another percentage in another? I think it would make sense to have it, esp. in cases where you have all your production of a good concentrated in the same state, which is to say in one "building".
Oh, right. I just internalized it as having 10 factories in that city, rather than having a level 10 factory in the city (and it being impossible to have more than 1 per city).
But when playing a state other than the Great Powers, often you want to concentrate some buildings, and you DON'T want to switch production all at once, because it might crash your economy. Or society, if you suddenly fire 10000 labourers and need to hire 2000 machinists, that may or may not exist at the time.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
This is one case where the only way to avoid retardation is not to play.
That's fair.
The fundamentals are still bad and all you do is stare at the shitty building queue. Journal entries and flavor aren't going to save this mess.

e: PDX are also simply BAD CODERS

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
While Paradox are picking their asses, there are mods like this already out:

Inspiring if you ask me. And guess what, it doesn't have to cost 30 EUR to be good. It doesn't have to cost anything at all.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Have any of the updates or DLCs fixed the problem that the core gameplay was managing a single build queue?

Or is that still the core gameplay of this game?

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
While Paradox are picking their asses, there are mods like this already out:

Inspiring if you ask me. And guess what, it doesn't have to cost 30 EUR to be good. It doesn't have to cost anything at all.

:prosper:

I can’t believe that New Zealanders have come to truly believe their government tourism campaigns that it’s a Polynesian country. Australia-New Zealand Meme Pack.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Have any of the updates or DLCs fixed the problem that the core gameplay was managing a single build queue?

Or is that still the core gameplay of this game?
From my experience with 1.7, it's possible to raise your sight from the building queue and start dealing with expansion, provided you play as a great power. As a GP eventually you can reach a high enough amount of construction sector points, AND also enact laissez faire, which in combination allow you to stop caring about the construction queue and leave price imbalances to the AI to take care of. Then you can move on to map painting through colonisation and wars, and undermining other GPs by diplomatic means.

Any difficulty lies, as usual, in the chance of overextending yourself. At least for me, without house rules and historical RP the game loses my interest.

If you are the type of player who just wants to see how high he can drive GDP by 1936 without collapsing into revolutions, then it's the building queue for you, and cheese like taking all the gold producing provinces, enacting multiculturalism and importing pops from China to work in your country. This sounds abhorrent but to each their own.

Vatnik Wumao
Gameplay loop is just not fun imho. And the game design taken as a whole seems to be more oriented towards bringing in the Anno & co. crowd.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Gameplay loop is just not fun imho. And the game design taken as a whole seems to be more oriented towards bringing in the Anno & co. crowd.
It's early access, the country content and the balance aren't there. Mechanics like combat resolution on land and at sea are not developed to a minimum amount of detail to attract the player's attention. Destroyed ships are "rebuilt" after combat is over, lolwwut?!

The fundamentals are still bad and all you do is stare at the shitty building queue. Journal entries and flavor aren't going to save this mess.
Fair point, but remind me what was so exciting in Vic2 please?
Watching the population mapmode hatching change as I enacted ethnic cleansing decisions and got to see the visual feedback of unaccepted cultures disappearing and my country gradually becoming more pure.

Which V3 is of course missing because they ditched the hatching effect and made tiles mono-coloured.

AwesomeButton

Patron
You have to appreciate gold exchanges like this one:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...not-for-problem-reports.1694727/post-29760999
Wait... can you... avoid the opium war by deleting all ports as Qing? Britain needs a treaty port for the opium war entry to fail, no?
This should in theory switch Britain to 'okay, I'll just conquer bits of China then' but I'll be honest and say I haven't tested that piece of AI in a long time so I might have to make adjustments in future updates. Not going to worry too much about exploits though, you can also just always use the console if that's your inclination.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
There's a prominent loading screen showing an arctic expedition. Can you even DO those in Vic3?
Germany has a journal entry for a Himalaya expedition which is impossible to do because you can't place an Interest there.

Vatnik Wumao
There's a prominent loading screen showing an arctic expedition. Can you even DO those in Vic3?
Germany has a journal entry for a Himalaya expedition which is impossible to do because you can't place an Interest there.
DFg5TKC.png

AwesomeButton

Patron
There is a decision "antarctica_expedition", though hot air baloons in Antarctica, I don't know... Also journal entry "je_tibet_expedition".

I also assumed it's in the Arctic circle, because of the ship being mast and sails.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Highlight of the latest hotfix:
  • Aristocrats no longer starve due to Subsistence farms suddenly raising wages for peasants
Glorious.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Played to 1912, Saxony into Germany. Game is still a shitshow, even if you can get some enjoyment out of the basic systems. The world is a complete mess, in an unfun way:
usa.jpg

Powerblocs are also a waste of time. When I formed Germany (Click Button, Receive Wurst) I somehow got parts of Austria and a bunch of random minors as subjects. So I formed a bloc to replace the Zollverein and tried getting my neighbors in. It takes ages to gain enough points to invite anyone to your bloc. Austria was a rump state that consisted mainly of Hungary, yet even with decades to spare I couldn't get them to join peacefully. You also can't really do shit as a bloc leader anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom