Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warcraft III: Reforged - now with lowest user metacritic score of all time

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
They should have remade the human campaign, if any.
Yeah,blizzard were always anti human company that worship demons. In all of their games is the same hatred for humanity,it gets pretty old after the first game you play.

World of Warcraft (released after that) was their last revolutionary game.
are you fucking nuts? wow introduced NOTHING new, it was the vanillaest, most cookie-cutter mmorpg ever. there was already stuff like anarchy online and its peculiar skill system, land conquest battles, already had instancing, free flight, extensive map, player city building, even random dungeons. all blizzard had was journos in their pocket ready to lie for them, saying "it sold 100m copies" when 99999999 were chink bot sweatshops or "it's their last revolutionary game" when it innovated absolutely zero.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
are you fucking nuts? wow introduced NOTHING new
Not sure if youngfags remember but throughout the 90s Blizzard was meme famous for stealing other devs' ideas. They burst onto the map after stealing Dune 2 gameplay so brazenly it got everyone laughing. Warcraft 1 was a shitty copypaste but to their credit they improved massively for the sequel and Starcraft BW is still the pinnacle of the genre.

Still, they've never done anything innovative, let alone revolutionary. Maybe except The Lost Vikings.

Caim

Arcane
are you fucking nuts? wow introduced NOTHING new, it was the vanillaest, most cookie-cutter mmorpg ever. there was already stuff like anarchy online and its peculiar skill system, land conquest battles, already had instancing, free flight, extensive map, player city building, even random dungeons. all blizzard had was journos in their pocket ready to lie for them, saying "it sold 100m copies" when 99999999 were chink bot sweatshops or "it's their last revolutionary game" when it innovated absolutely zero.
They innovated by making an MMO that got non-MMO players to play an MMO. Sure it's basic bitch babby mode compared to what was out at the time, but it became mainstream in a way that only games like Runescape can claim, and that's a can of worms on its own.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Blizzard have never innovated, they've always been great refiners. Which is not bad or that unusual, technically Bach didn't do anything new either (except maybe 1 thing for which he isn't even that known).

Harthwain

Magister
Revolutionary may be an inappropriate word. I meant they created a type of game that was different from the ones they were making up to that point, and the game was good enough to make it massively popular. "Having journos in their pocket ready to lie for them" wouldn't get them this far. All in all it WAS a peak for Blizzard and they were going downhill from there ever since.

Lacrymas

Arcane

Yup... the "everything is colorful" rainbow world. It plagues art direction to this day

Ah how much some games accomplished with 2-3 colors...
When games used only 2-3 colors we complained it was all brown and drab.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
We aren't referring to the same things. I mean games such as Wizardry 6 or Perihelion. You must mean something like Fallout 3.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I had some Chronicles of the Second War gameplay play in the background out of curiosity while doing other stuff and it isn't a straight-up remake of WC2, it has a bunch of stuff added, along with lengthy cinematics that are well done for a mod. I'm not ever going to buy Reforged to play it myself (especially since the focus on naval combat is still there), but if anyone is curious and has bought that abomination already it's worth giving it a try.

Harthwain

Magister
I'm not ever going to buy Reforged to play it myself (especially since the focus on naval combat is still there)
What "focus on naval combat" has to do with anything? Reforged is irredeemable shit entirely on its own and buying it should be considered a crime.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm not ever going to buy Reforged to play it myself (especially since the focus on naval combat is still there)
What "focus on naval combat" has to do with anything? Reforged is irredeemable shit entirely on its own and buying it should be considered a crime.
I meant Chronicles of the Second War has a focus on naval combat because the underlying foundation is still WC2. But yeah, don't buy Reforged ever under any circumstances.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is it really naval focused or do you just mean that Warcraft 2 features naval combat. Is Red Alert also naval focused in that case? There's a lot of land maps in WC2 as well and on the maps featuring bodies of water the final battle will always be on land.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The majority of WC2's and its expansion's campaign maps are heavily water-based, requiring a lot of tedious ferrying of troops around and building a fleet beforehand to destroy ships and shipyards.

NewFag

Educated
The majority of WC2's and its expansion's campaign maps are heavily water-based, requiring a lot of tedious ferrying of troops around and building a fleet beforehand to destroy ships and shipyards.
I always thought the naval combat was pretty amusing. I can barely remember the campaign though. It was mostly just bring someone to a circle of power or wipe out your opponent. But I'm looking back with rose tinted glasses since WC2 was one of the first PC games I owned.

Lacrymas

Arcane
By looking on the maps online (not having played WC2 since the year 1999/2000) I would rather say that at most 50% are like that.
The first 3 missions of both factions are the tutorial maps which end in like 10 minutes, so they don't count. It's universally acknowledged that the WC2 campaign suffers heavily from its naval focus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom