Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warframe

Turjan

Arcane
Energy pizzas? I forgot those exist. Not sure if I have the blueprint.

Who knows, maybe they'll change something about this, if Styanax is any indication. It was the first warframe where I could more or less constantly use its abilities, because he has inbuilt energy regeneration.

Lhynn

Arcane
They really backed themselves into a corner with arcane energize being almost damn near mandatory for most builds where you're actually using abilities. If I were them I'd make the effects of it standard for everybody, remove it from the game entirely and just run some automated script that gives 2050 platinum for every R5 energize you have in your inventory. Also holy fuck I didn't realize it went up a thousand platinum since I last checked.
So many ways to get infinite energy, arcane energize is just if you are not feeling like expending your almost infinite amount of resources.

Codex Year of the Donut
also I used the pew pew pew needle gun from one of the factions for energy when doing the areas where you can't use pizzas, you just shoot for a bit and it gives you a bunch of energy
can't remember the arena area where consumables are banned, but it let me trivially keep my energy high as a nuke frame

Sykar

Arcane
Energy system is just plain fucking retarded. That you are not even starting with full energy is bonkers. What you are an elite super special space ninja? But you go onto missions with 75% of your main resource for your mystic powers missing. :lol:

Lhynn

Arcane
Energy system is just plain fucking retarded. That you are not even starting with full energy is bonkers. What you are an elite super special space ninja? But you go onto missions with 75% of your main resource for your mystic powers missing. :lol:
Thats actually lore related, it depends on your drain. If you have no mods on you, you start at 100%, if you have so many mods all your capacity is drained, then you start at 30%? Cant remember how much. Apparently this means that energy in a frame goes down during downtime, and needs to be replenished in site.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Every time I see an ad for Warframe, I think, "should I?" But then I think more, and the thought of it almost makes me physically sick. I played that thing relentlessly for 3 years and loved every minute of it; sadly it's a dead game to me now.
Even the best games don't really hold my interest for three years. Then again, I hardly ever play any of these endless online games that have at least the potential of reinventing themselves.

Let's see how long this one will keep my interest. I'm still not completely through the Star Chart.

If you enjoy the basic game loop you're in for a treat, there's a lot more of the game beyond that, that still has story development and lots of new things.

Yeah it's very unusual for me to stick with a game for more than a month or two at a stretch (though I may come back to it regularly). Even though those 3 years I exaggerate slightly - I did have a break now and then. But there was a lot of pull back to the game. Then at some point one has had enough of it.

The only other game I spent a few years in was City of Heroes, my first and only MMO addiction (though I pottered about with many of them for a few months, etc.). I even had my own thriving guild (supergroup) and base, the whole nine yards :)

Sykar

Arcane
Thats actually lore related, it depends on your drain. If you have no mods on you, you start at 100%, if you have so many mods all your capacity is drained, then you start at 30%? Cant remember how much. Apparently this means that energy in a frame goes down during downtime, and needs to be replenished in site.
I do not care if it is lore or not. It is complete nonsense because you can immediately replenish your energy at the start of a mission and retain that indefinitely if you are not using your abilities. How dirt-cheap energy pizzas can do what your expensive orbiter cannot is beyond me and there is no lore whatsoever that can excuse this buffoonery.

Lhynn

Arcane
I do not care if it is lore or not. It is complete nonsense because you can immediately replenish your energy at the start of a mission and retain that indefinitely if you are not using your abilities. How dirt-cheap energy pizzas can do what your expensive orbiter cannot is beyond me and there is no lore whatsoever that can excuse this buffoonery.
I like flavor in my games, even when it comes with inconveniences, actually its better if it comes with an inconvenience.

Lhynn

Arcane
I just spammed energy pizzas, they were cheap as shit to make but for some reason barely anyone used them
I remember having thousands of them
Yeah, that sounds like good game design.
The energy and ability system design was trash since the very beginning.
Pizzas werent always cheap, the problem is that the game is old and has been in "beta" for years, content on top of content getting added will make your older systems irrelevant if you dont update them.

Energy in itself isnt bad, the ease of replenishment helps keeping the flow of the game and its clear when they design anything nowadays that they always assume the players energy will be full at all times, same with ammo, you never really run out, not if you are a half competent player, its just not that type of game.

I do think the game has bigger issues, mostly the lack of interesting content beyond fighting. The side activities they have implemented are retarded and boring, and for a game about space ninjas theres no interesting stealth or assassination mechanics for example, the constant weapon rebalance is another problem, its not a pvp game so I really struggle to understand why it would even be a thing. There is some depth in pet raising, with people pouring hundreds or thousands of hours into it, but its just not enough, warframe needs more fun and deep mechanics outside of combat to survive, and from the looks of it that ship has sailed and its never going to get them.

Turjan

Arcane
... the constant weapon rebalance is another problem, its not a pvp game so I really struggle to understand why it would even be a thing.
I started sometime in this year's August, and I only experienced the "new team". I got the impression that Pablo, the lead designer, seems to be personally insulted that nobody wants to use their newer creations. I think their Wukong nerf cost them a lot of players. The nerf isn't even done in a way that doesn't make them look incompetent. They added some mechanic that the clone doesn't work if you don't move around, but that detection doesn't seem to work well. I never had him before the nerf, and now, I tried him twice in defense missions, and the clone just stood there, doing nothing. Jumping all over the map didn't reactivate him, which it supposedly should. No wonder many players with Wukong as main just left. It wasn't even the strongest frame.

That ammo nerf looks just annoying. Now they will add self damage back in. I have the feeling that they don't know what they want. Even during my first levels I noticed that AoE is basically a must, even if it's just by ground slams with your melee weapon (well, you have to use what you have available). Then they give challenges like "kill 20 enemies within 5 seconds". If you don't want that kind of gameplay, then don't force it. With the amount of enemies that swarm you, good luck with a single shot weapon with slow reload.

Oh, and those streams are a treat. I have the feeling that several people on the team don't actually like the game. Some of them are struggling hard. Maybe, some are jealous of those players who know how to game the systems.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Picked this up again after a very long hiatus. I feel like the biggest boomer running around with my Sancti Tigris and my old Saryn, while everybody else is using Warframes that I have never seen before and using weapons that fill up 3 rooms with AoE per shot.

The amount of content and systems added over the years made re-entry very confusing at first, but if you focus on just one thing and how to get it, the journey there can feel pretty nice. I'm trying to unlock the system where you can replace on of the skills of your Warframe with the skill of another.

The new open world areas look impressive at first glance, but I always thought that the regular maps were already pretty big and interesting looking. The lack of corridors in the open world areas makes you feel slow. Good thing you can deploy your Archwing, it makes traversal much more enjoyable. But then it also negates the whole purpose of the open world design. The subterranean layers are pretty cool though.
One thing that is a downgrade is the visual design of the open world areas compared to the old tile sets. Especially if you go from an "Orokin/Infested" mission right into the boring Planes of Eidolon with their generic hills and trees. The only area that comes close to the old tile sets in terms of visual design is the one on Deimos, but even that one suffers from the same issue the other two have: it's too much of the same shit.
Mining and Fishing is ok. It's not aggressively boring like the typical implementations from typical MMOs. You still aim and shoot at something. Thematically they make no fucking sense. You're a space cyborg ninja. You should be mining people and harpooning flying warships.

The writing is horrendous. I left right around the time they introduced the faggy kids that pop out of your Warframe and wasn't inundated by it too much. Trying to do these quests without the ability to skip the dialogue is just torture. It's like at the level of a kid's tv show, except even the low production value shows from my youth had more likeable characters than these and also funnier dialogue. The writing combines some of the worst shit western games are known for nowadays:

- ancient deities sounding like modern day people
- wahmmin = good // men = bad
- typical lefty propaganda themes of "muh invironment" "muh greedy people are ebil" "muh incloosivity" and so on
- no Stoicism or proper classical virtues or examples of mutual respect anywhere to be found
- every allied character is soy af and the only somewhat interesting characters are the enemy ones (Eudico vs Granum for example)
- zany = funny
- including memes into the writing

Out of the new(for me) content, I really like Railjack the most. It has that "ad-hoc filling in a distinct role" type of gameplay which I love and is IMO one of the best things you can do in an MMORPG. WvW in Guild Wars 2 offered something similar. Upgrading your Railjack also feels much more like classical RPG progression compared to the regular Warframe upgrading.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I just did that War Within quest. Holy shit. This has had to be one of the most frustrating experiences I've had to endure in a video game in recent memory. It was so much shit on top of other shit, that I'm at a loss of words when it comes to describing how shit it was. Good thing I never have to do this shit again. If they want to expand on shit like that in Soulframe then help us God.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Just did the 3 missions for the Grendel parts. If those aren't evidence that DE hates their own players, then I don't know what is. Even using the "cheese" of Hildryn + Xoris it still felt like contracting aids compared to actual gameplay. The farm for Voruna was much more palatable.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Picked this up again after a very long hiatus. I feel like the biggest boomer running around with my Sancti Tigris and my old Saryn, while everybody else is using Warframes that I have never seen before and using weapons that fill up 3 rooms with AoE per shot.

The amount of content and systems added over the years made re-entry very confusing at first, but if you focus on just one thing and how to get it, the journey there can feel pretty nice. I'm trying to unlock the system where you can replace on of the skills of your Warframe with the skill of another.

The new open world areas look impressive at first glance, but I always thought that the regular maps were already pretty big and interesting looking. The lack of corridors in the open world areas makes you feel slow. Good thing you can deploy your Archwing, it makes traversal much more enjoyable. But then it also negates the whole purpose of the open world design. The subterranean layers are pretty cool though.
One thing that is a downgrade is the visual design of the open world areas compared to the old tile sets. Especially if you go from an "Orokin/Infested" mission right into the boring Planes of Eidolon with their generic hills and trees. The only area that comes close to the old tile sets in terms of visual design is the one on Deimos, but even that one suffers from the same issue the other two have: it's too much of the same shit.
Mining and Fishing is ok. It's not aggressively boring like the typical implementations from typical MMOs. You still aim and shoot at something. Thematically they make no fucking sense. You're a space cyborg ninja. You should be mining people and harpooning flying warships.

The writing is horrendous. I left right around the time they introduced the faggy kids that pop out of your Warframe and wasn't inundated by it too much. Trying to do these quests without the ability to skip the dialogue is just torture. It's like at the level of a kid's tv show, except even the low production value shows from my youth had more likeable characters than these and also funnier dialogue. The writing combines some of the worst shit western games are known for nowadays:

- ancient deities sounding like modern day people
- wahmmin = good // men = bad
- typical lefty propaganda themes of "muh invironment" "muh greedy people are ebil" "muh incloosivity" and so on
- no Stoicism or proper classical virtues or examples of mutual respect anywhere to be found
- every allied character is soy af and the only somewhat interesting characters are the enemy ones (Eudico vs Granum for example)
- zany = funny
- including memes into the writing

Out of the new(for me) content, I really like Railjack the most. It has that "ad-hoc filling in a distinct role" type of gameplay which I love and is IMO one of the best things you can do in an MMORPG. WvW in Guild Wars 2 offered something similar. Upgrading your Railjack also feels much more like classical RPG progression compared to the regular Warframe upgrading.

Agree with most of that. I will say about the Plains of Eidolon though, that when it first came out, the cool thing about it was seeing your powers in a larger context (like for example a Nova nuke with the cards - or whatever they're called, I forget now lol - that extend it to ridiculous proportions) - it gave a sense of enormous scale to them that you didn't really get in the more claustrophobic interior settings. It made your powers feel like genuine superpowers.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Deep Rock Galactic looks like a fine co-op shooter, but for me Warframe is more about the progression elements and the parkour. I doubt a dwarf can bullet jump -> aim glide -> jump reset -> aim glide -> slide all withing the span of 2 seconds. Then again Hildryn and Grendel are playable frames, so maybe they can.

Turjan

Arcane
Just some comments:
The writing is horrendous. I left right around the time they introduced the faggy kids that pop out of your Warframe and wasn't inundated by it too much.
I wondered why the sound files for your operator are toggled to "off" by default, so I activated this for a short time. Horrible. Someone went for the "edgy teenager" vibe and nailed that. "My warframe is strong!" *cringe*
Had to switch this off again pretty much immediately.
- typical lefty propaganda themes of "muh invironment" "muh greedy people are ebil" "muh incloosivity" and so on[/quote
Not sure I agree with that. In principle, some of the taunts of your enemies ring true, and you as a Tenno are certainly not one of the "good guys". The environmentalist faction (New Loka) is portrayed as comically evil. I think the only time where they really drop the ball is with Fortuna. They try to pull your heart strings to sell you on one of the worst grinds of the game. Bah. In the end, you function as enabler for that system, if you think of it.
I had some fun with this, too. I should probably switch to do this on public though, as it's a bit busy on my own.

Turjan

Arcane
Bugframe embraces its public image:

4c2ed220b467fa5f798994b83731c18c.png

To just about noone's real surprise, Duviri Paradox is not the next update.

"We’re back on the couch after the holiday break to introduce you to our next Update for Warframe: Citrine’s Last Wish! We’ll be going through everything you can expect in this Update, including a look at where we’re at with the development of Duviri."

Whatever that will be. Most people think the image represents a new Rhino skin. Sounds about right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom