Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warframe

Gerrard

Arcane
Wow, you can increase the stats on your frames that are going to be completely irrelevant in the next piece of content they release.
:greatjob:

Turjan

Arcane
The way this is supposed to be set up, you need a very long time to actually get many of your warframes equipped with those shards. It's packed into a special event/boss fight you can only do once a week and which is supposed to be really difficult (I guess we will see).

I'm sure you can buy everything though, if you don't want to play the game :smug:.

Turjan

Arcane
I think they try to mitigate that by giving a specific frame and a specific weapon a substantial boost in each of these fights. This should lead to you using a different frame in every fight, only that it's not your choice which one it is.

Anyway, I'm definitely no expert at the game, as I'm just dabbling a bit in the very low regions. I can tolerate very grindy games for a while, but that's usually limited.

Turjan

Arcane
Veilbreaker should be released today.

Let's see what they break, given they wanted to change quite a few things at once.

Codex Year of the Donut
their obsession with adding MOAR!!! frames killed this game for me
like those cartoons that kept adding new characters to sell more toys

as wide as an ocean but as deep as a puddle

Turjan

Arcane
Sure, that's how they make more money. Which also means that the "free" base versions of the warframes cannot look too good, or nobody would buy their cosmetic stuff. I say "free", as you have to get all the materials to build them, and some of those materials are serious bottlenecks, at least for new players.

As you get the new warframe for free, I took it on a test drive. Of course, I can't do the quest, as I haven't even cleared the star chart, and the new quest is end game content. The weekly events start next week. It's nice that the frame has some good abilities for new players. Even the first ability includes a grouping ability directly in front of the player.

They also reworked the three starter frames to be more fun for new players. The abilities actually do something, even at lower levels. That's even still relevant for me. While I ditched Excalibur, I quickly got Volt, and he's better now (first ability costs less energy, he got faster with the second one, third doesn't use energy when moving shields, some range changes with the fourth).

Several other frames got a few abilities buffed, and Wukong got a few nerfs to his clone, which is supposed to make afk play impossible (half damage unless target tagged by player, now needs ammo, etc.). They also included some nerfs to AoE via ammunition economy, and a few QoL features, like not needing sigils to pledge to syndicates, easier weapon switching, etc.

Anyway, I'm aware of the fact that this is basically just a collection game. Collecting frames and weapons and make the best out of them is more or less all this is about. I don't expect this to keep my interest for very long, but at the moment, it's still fun.

Wild Slop

Arcane
Here is a link to the latest update:

https://www.warframe.com/updates/pc...tm_medium=game&utm_campaign=game_2022&steam=1

Too many words makes thought pain so I no read.

I did an Archon run, and it plays like a higher leveled, more annoying Sortie.

The Archon itself was a dull bullet sponge that took me and my pug team long enough that I would recommend one does not try to do it alone. Unless you like tacking on extra 20 mins of tooth pulling for pride points.

Turjan

Arcane
The Archon itself was a dull bullet sponge that took me and my pug team long enough that I would recommend one does not try to do it alone. Unless you like tacking on extra 20 mins of tooth pulling for pride points.

I've watched someone do this several times (don't care about spoilers), and they did the whole mission in about 6 minutes with four people, about 8 and a half minutes solo. A good part of the mission time difference was getting those two door keys (as a single player, you have to do both yourself). The issue with the boss doesn't seem to be that it's a traditional bullet sponge, but that it's some rather dull type of damage attenuation. The weapon or mod loadout don't matter much, and an optimized build feels even more penalized than an average one. A single player can have a chance at one-shotting the boss, as the first shot goes through normally, and after that, damage attenuation sets in. The only thing that seems to matter are ammunition economy and using a tanky frame (abilities don't matter, as they don't do anything).

But yeah, fight looks dull. There's nothing special about it mechanically.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
Looks like someone told them to ramp up monetization. Prime Resurgence is now a monthly event.

Prime Vault is gone for good, and this is the permanent replacement. Let's see what this will do to the player market.

Edit: Age restricted :lol:

ADL

Prophet
I finally sat down to play with Styanax, the new frame they're giving everyone just by logging in. I highly doing so. All his abilities are good but for meta endgame bullshit I'll probably swap one out. Haven't played since The New War but 2022's updates including the new Kahl missions are neat. Hope they expand on the concept of playing as other characters to eventually get some new Teshin gameplay.

Turjan

Arcane
I finally sat down to play with Styanax, the new frame they're giving everyone just by logging in. I highly doing so. All his abilities are good but for meta endgame bullshit I'll probably swap one out.
They already nerfed him. Twice.

Given his 4th ability puts him into a vulnerable position, the double nerf to this ability seems to make it only useful on low levels, and there he's definitely fun. Funny how he's only available late in the quest line then. Not that it matters to anyone getting him now.

ADL

Prophet
Revenant Prime revealed during today's devstream along with Tatsu Prime (first primed 2H nikana). Probably not going to play until Duviri releases in November-December but I'll login to grab Rev and Tatsu since I really enjoyed their base versions.

Wild Slop

Arcane
I totally forgot that Narmer Bounties were a thing.
I (re)discovered this when I came across 2 swords in my Foundry that I had yet to complete and involved a component (Narmer Isoplast) which I didn't know how to acquire. There is also a 3rd sword I am missing and none of these show up in the Codex.

PSA: Learn from my oversight.

ADL

Prophet
Duviri Paradox delayed to 2023 :(
Roadmap_Resized.png

Wild Slop

Arcane
There are some Gift of the Lotus tier Alerts up included one for an Umbra Forma. It seems like there is about 9 days time to do it.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Every time I see an ad for Warframe, I think, "should I?" But then I think more, and the thought of it almost makes me physically sick. I played that thing relentlessly for 3 years and loved every minute of it; sadly it's a dead game to me now.

But developers could learn a lot from the fluidity of avatar control that game has. I've never played a game before or since that felt so slick and responsive to play (even with the cooldowns and occasional rooted animation, that was all part of it).

Besides, it long ago felt like they were milking the game way beyond its actual shelf life.

Codex Year of the Donut
Every time I see an ad for Warframe, I think, "should I?" But then I think more, and the thought of it almost makes me physically sick. I played that thing relentlessly for 3 years and loved every minute of it; sadly it's a dead game to me now.

But developers could learn a lot from the fluidity of avatar control that game has. I've never played a game before or since that felt so slick and responsive to play (even with the cooldowns and occasional rooted animation, that was all part of it).

Besides, it long ago felt like they were milking the game way beyond its actual shelf life.
their extensive focus on making as many frames as possible rather than further developing existing frames is what killed it for me

felt like they turned it into a cheap 80s cartoon that kept adding new characters to sell toys

Turjan

Arcane
Even the best games don't really hold my interest for three years. Then again, I hardly ever play any of these endless online games that have at least the potential of reinventing themselves.

Let's see how long this one will keep my interest. I'm still not completely through the Star Chart.

Turjan

Arcane
their extensive focus on making as many frames as possible rather than further developing existing frames is what killed it for me

felt like they turned it into a cheap 80s cartoon that kept adding new characters to sell toys

Didn't Pablo say that redoing their old frames doesn't make them any money? At least they redid the starter frames because they want to improve the new player experience. The changes are nice, but I'm not sure those really improve the new player experience. The issue is the energy economy. What difference do starter frames make if you can't really use their abilities more than once or twice per mission?

ADL

Prophet
They really backed themselves into a corner with arcane energize being almost damn near mandatory for most builds where you're actually using abilities. If I were them I'd make the effects of it standard for everybody, remove it from the game entirely and just run some automated script that gives 2050 platinum for every R5 energize you have in your inventory. Also holy fuck I didn't realize it went up a thousand platinum since I last checked.

Codex Year of the Donut
I just spammed energy pizzas, they were cheap as shit to make but for some reason barely anyone used them
I remember having thousands of them

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom