Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warframe

Lhynn

Arcane
The main problem with warframe is that there's too many fucking frames now. Half of them are basically just deviant art-tier OCs of existing frames, the other half are trannies.
Feels like you're playing a cheap chinese mobile game.
Well, "new frames" is literally their business model.

Talking about cheap chinese games. Been playing conquerors blade, very recommended. Ill make a thread about it later.

Codex Year of the Donut
The main problem with warframe is that there's too many fucking frames now. Half of them are basically just deviant art-tier OCs of existing frames, the other half are trannies.
Feels like you're playing a cheap chinese mobile game.
Well, "new frames" is literally their business model.

Talking about cheap chinese games. Been playing conquerors blade, very recommended. Ill make a thread about it later.
Yes, and that's the issue. They could have went with quality over quantity. Now there's just a bunch of completely forgotten frames. e.g., I don't think I ever once encountered someone playing as baruuk or the volt ripoff.

And they actually did this right with Excalibur Umbra. They took an existing frame and made him more interesting, added story, etc.,.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Nah, this guy played for too little to reach the final realization stage, he is still on the "ninjas in space are cool phase" yet, typical youtuber, his soul wasnt even consumed by the piles and piles and piles and piles of superfluous and useless progressions bars that are only there to give an "incentive" to waste time on the proc generated levels that have that "charm" that only proc generated levels have to reach the final realization yet.

Warframe is the most outrageous case of the best 4 hour gameplay tech demo stretched into 500 hs.

They are farming blood from the stone for the last few years, they got to a point where they not only farmed the stone, they farmed the sand the stone released, then they farmed the molecules, then they farmed the atoms and are taking blood from the sub atomic molecules that previously made the stone.

So, after a certain point, I passed a sanity check and noticed the game is a huge trap made by Cthulhu entities to see how long a human being will waste his time on the vague promise that a game will eventualy become good. Even the story the shills promised would be cool, it pretty much ruined for me, you are just playing with a bunch of teenagers saving the universe straight from a JRPG and when I saw that, damn, what those shills on youtube are smoking? The problem is that you only discover this when you are pretty close to the end game.

I mean, the whole story of the game is: a)Ancient super awesome Empire makes machines that rebel against it (Oh, such surprise here!), b) To kill the evil machines they make warframes controlled by teenagers, c)The teenagers save the universe, d) The teenagers do a literal temper tantrum when their mommy is killed, e) They kill the super advanced civilization on their temper tantrum as if nobody on this super awesome civilization never had the tought of having killing switches on the warframes or just built something else that could kill them all this time. Damn, I know most those F2P games just come up with bs as they go along but you really needed some effort to just screw things up on that level.

Meh, none of that really matters much because the core combat is so satisfying. The game loses interest when you exhaust that, as you inevitably eventually do (it took me about 3 years).

ADL

Prophet
It's phrased wrong like many points in his original video and it seems like the poor dude was fed incorrect information or he's delivering it incorrectly. It's good from the get-go. It won't be understood for 100+ hours and you could make the same video about Dwarf Fortress, EVE Online or any grand strategy game.

Final Fantasy XIV is allegedly a game that gets good after 100 hours because the story gets better and it's a story-driven MMO. I don't know whether or not that's true because the first twenty hours of ARR is fucking boring from both a writing and gameplay perspective so it isn't worth the investment no matter how much people jerk themselves off to Heavensward and beyond. Warframe's gameplay is great from the start but no one understands the various systems without trial and error or watching countless videos about it and new players tend to spend time grinding the wrong missions for a variety of reasons. A new player with all the knowledge of a Warframe veteran would stick with it just like they would with a game like Europa Universalis or Crusader Kings or Dwarf Fortress but get filtered by the dozens of menu screens or ASCII graphics.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Usually the cycle is:
Online game is released on awful state because development hell with barely any content of worth and full of grind to artificialy inflate the expiration date of the little content it has.
Terrible game is kept from failing through updates that really dont change the core of the game but keep the illusion of progress.
Game eventually gets popular.
Developer now , focus more on releasing improved new content that is easier to sell as they can make all kinds of flashy trailers for it.
However, developer keep old content because replacing that old shit content is way too expensive so they force new players to go through that awful crap to reach the expansions/latest patchs where they actually invested more time in.
Gullible players play through the crap content and after enduring torture manage to finally reach better content and think that somehow that is a badge of honor and being a member of the elite when in reality it was just the company wasting their time for a simple cold business decision of not making money reworking old content.
Eventually, the game gets smaller and smaller and around more and more of a small group of core players that confuse elitism with sunk cost fallacy.

It is the same case with any MMO but on the case of Warframe is special because that bullshit is on another level, the game was released as an awful beta at best and they took enviromentally friendly content "recycling" to another new level to keep the game on the ICU while they tried to survive the mess they created, their luck is that the gameplay wasnt all that bad, however they focused more on keep releasing shit that was easier to sell like pets, "open worlds" and new warframe bloat to make money and never bothered in fixing or removing the poorly done artificial bullshit they call "content" that most new players have to withstand, only worth shit like the sky chart or short walking simulator "story" missions have is to be targets for nuclear bombs.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Usually the cycle is:
Online game is released on awful state because development hell with barely any content of worth and full of grind to artificialy inflate the expiration date of the little content it has.
Terrible game is kept from failing through updates that really dont change the core of the game but keep the illusion of progress.
Developer now , focus more on releasing improved new content that is easier to sell as they can make all kinds of flashy trailers for it.
However, developer keep old content because replacing that old shit content is way too expensive so they force new players to go through that awful crap to reach the expansions/latest patchs where they actually invested more time in.
Gullible players play through the crap content and after enduring torture manage to finally reach better content and think that somehow that is a badge of honor and being a member of the elite when in reality it was just the company wasting their time for a simple cold business decision of not making money reworking old content.
Eventually, the game gets smaller and smaller and around more and more of a small group of core players that confuse elitism with sunk cost fallacy.

It is the same case with any MMO but on the case of Warframe is special because that bullshit is on another level, the game was released as an awful beta at best and they took enviromentally friendly content "recycling" to another new level to keep the game on the ICU while they tried to survive the mess they created, their luck is that the gameplay wasnt all that bad, however they focused more on keep releasing shit that was easier to sell like pets, "open worlds" and new warframe bloat to make money and never bothered in fixing or removing the poorly done artificial bullshit they call "content" that most new players have to withstand, only worth shit like the sky chart or short walking simulator "story" missions have is to be targets for nuclear bombs.

Show me on the doll where the bad DE touched you :)

Gerrard

Arcane
I was going to post some furfags from Tennocon but I can't be bothered finding the pictures.

Also he somehow completely ignored this part

This review mirrors my thoughts pretty well.

holy shit, do people really think warframe, WARFRAME, is, quoting, "obtusely difficult to grasp"? it's a shooter with some numbers tacked on, it's no rocket science. and hell, i learnt it all back when there were NO tutorials at all. this guy says "the game is perfect, as soon as i'm babysat and handhold the whole time". fuck you retard. go drink kandy-crush-aid somewhere else.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

holy shit, do people really think warframe, WARFRAME, is, quoting, "obtusely difficult to grasp"? it's a shooter with some numbers tacked on, it's no rocket science. and hell, i learnt it all back when there were NO tutorials at all. this guy says "the game is perfect, as soon as i'm babysat and handhold the whole time". fuck you retard. go drink kandy-crush-aid somewhere else.

IKR, but it's a good point from the point of view of the game being a game with the potential to have a bigger audience. The core gameplay is such that probably an absolute shit-ton of people would enjoy it, but I think he's right that the way you're just thrown in at the deep end after the tutorial is too intimidating for non-autists ordinary people.

And I'm sure DE are aware of it, the problem seems to be that they're stuck in the mode their business model dicatates, of having to constantly pump out fresh content to keep the players who are already in the game coming back regularly. In an ideal world, they'd take a year out and devote updates solely to consolidating the game's systems, trimming the fat, streamlining the new user experience as the guy recommends. But they're stuck, they can't do that - or at least, it seems clear that they think they can't do that.

Sykar

Arcane

The dififculty does not lie with the complexity, that is not the issue, but the amount of different systems that are hardly if at all explained ingame. Yeah if you read online wiki or have someone explain all the shit in game you might get a grasp fairly quickly. On your own? Good luck will take a long a time and that is not even covering stuff like for example how exactly Novas Anti Matter drop works, something a lot of people STILL get wrong.
You learned it "back then"? What you mean right after release? Because the game has added a crap ton of stuff since then.
Nothing you dumbfuck said discredits anything pointed out as a flaw of the game. Fun gameplay, badly explained systems and the story is quite disjointed. That is the criticism in a nutshell and it is true, period.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Usually the cycle is:

Show me on the doll where the bad DE touched you :)

Well, I just told the truth... too lazy to argue with you but this dude explain it very well. Shit MMOs like Warframe have those types of design all over the place and people finding excuses for it are just wasting their time excusing lazy devs.

Warframe is not difficult as in "you will lose if you don't know all those systems", you can play as a shitty build just fine. You will have to dedicate time to understand what a Tevyat Sabakura is and how it interacts with Kazuur's Magnificent Pazoom skill if you want to maximize your gains during missions in Gaad'hamok, though. Especially if you're running Pamamon on your operator, otherwise you will lose too many Bibikis per run to make it worth your time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom