Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Grey Knights turn-based tactical RPG

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So compared to the old chaos gate how it fares hm?
it is very different:

It is NuXCOMed Chaos Gate in a way. Less squadies, but they have active abilities and perks.
It has some research (and facility building) and more itemization.
It also uses pods.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Signs of life.

https://www.chaosgate.com/news/new-reinforcements

NEW REINFORCEMENTS​

mow

Ave Imperator, Force Commander!
Alert! The forces of Nurgle will soon receive new reinforcements and armaments in a FREE UPDATE for Warhammer 40, 000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters, coming this December.
Anti-Armour | Plague Marine:
Posing an unwavering threat to even the most heavily armored Grey Knights, this Plague Marine variant is equipped with armor-sundering arsenal, wielding a Meltagun and Krak Grenades.

Fleshmower | Foetid Bloat-drone:
New Foetid Bloat-drone variants come armed with a Fleshmower, capable of projecting punishing attacks through the land, and unforgivingly any Grey Knights who dare stand before them.

The Noxious Blightbringer:
Living conduits for the Garden of Nurgle, The Noxious Blightbringers render their rivals feeble as they strip away armor bonuses, effectively nullifying Aegis Shield, Fortress and other defensive Grey Knights abilities.

Alongside these Death Guard reinforcements, will also be a number of performance improvements and optimisations.

With such news, prepare for the accession of greater vengeance, Force Commander!

ave

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Adeptus Mechanicus-themed DLC:

https://www.frontier.co.uk/news/pre...warhammer-40000-chaos-gate-daemonhunters-duty

Cambridge, UK – 22 November 2022. Frontier Foundry, the games label of Frontier Developments plc (AIM: FDEV, ‘Frontier’), today revealed the expansion pack Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Duty Eternal in partnership with Warhammer 40,000 creator Games Workshop. This major DLC for the acclaimed turn-based tactical RPG launches on PC on December 6th, adding thrilling new missions, a brand new class and the fearsome Venerable Dreadnought combat walker to the campaign, among other substantial changes. The expansion will have a suggested retail price of $14.99/£12.99/€14.99 on both Steam and the Epic Games Store.

Find English-language links to the reveal trailer below:

PEGI ESRB

The Technophage Outbreak is at the heart of Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Duty Eternal. With the arrival of this new strain of the Bloom, the Grey Knights are tasked with aiding the Adeptus Mechanicus in halting its spread across space. The new Technophage Outbreak mission variant is the most challenging in the game to date, remixing standard maps and objectives with higher reinforcement numbers, new Warp Surge conditions and tougher consequences for failure. The potential rewards, however, are also much greater.

Fortunately, commanders will have some extra firepower at their disposal to suppress the escalating Nurgle threat in Duty Eternal. The Venerable Dreadnought – an addition that’s frequently been requested by players since launch – will become available to commanders early in a new campaign. This combat walker becomes a playable fifth member of the Grey Knights squad during any Technophage Outbreak-themed mission that appears across the campaign. Like the other Grey Knights, Dreadnoughts can be customised with different unlockable weaponry to suit the player’s tactical needs

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Duty Eternal also brings a vastly different base class to the game: the Techmarine. This new addition to the Baleful Edict’s barracks is able to deploy and control a cadre of Combat Servitors, which join the Grey Knights on the battlefield as more expendable allies, each equipped with a specific ability that serves a distinct purpose in battle. The Techmarine can repair or augment Combat Servitors and the Venerable Dreadnought during a mission, offering a support role to the rest of the squad.

The new features in Duty Eternal also extend to the game’s strategic layer. Early on in the campaign, players who own this expansion will have the option to liberate and commandeer the Gladius Frigate, a second strike vessel which considerably extends the Grey Knights’ reach across the Tyrtaeus Sector. From aboard the Baleful Edict, commanders will deploy squads onto the Gladius Frigate then send the ship across space, facing the Bloom in locations the Edict cannot reach in time. These encounters will then resolve automatically off-screen with similar risks and rewards to completing a standard mission in the campaign.

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Duty Eternal further builds on the ambitions of the team at Complex Games to build the ultimate turn-based tactical RPG set in this universe, significantly enhancing the replayability and scope of the campaign.

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Duty Eternal will require the base game to play:

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters is available to buy now on PC across Steam and the Epic Games Store, with a suggested retail price of £34.99/$44.99/€44.99 for the standard version and £44.99/$54.99/€54.99 for the Castellan Champion Edition.

Follow Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters on Twitter, Instagram and YouTube, or visit www.chaosgate.com.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Damn - I have been stuck in the final mission of the campaign for a while now, guess I should finish it before the DLC comes out.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I didnt play much lately, the problem seems to be that Mortarion just whacks everyone with like two hits and the supposedly super star dude that joins you for the fight seems fairly wimpy. Oh and there are no strategems, so its even harder...

:negative:

But I shall fight on...

Tomas

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I didnt play much lately, the problem seems to be that Mortarion just whacks everyone with like two hits and the supposedly super star dude that joins you for the fight seems fairly wimpy. Oh and there are no strategems, so its even harder...

:negative:

But I shall fight on...
Bring a Paladin to tackle the boss, Apothecary with lots of heal skulls, and Interceptor to teleport and do the damage. Super star dude only attacks adds and destroyes roots and stays away from boss.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's time to post endless promotional videos that will gradually cause certain posters to hate this game for no reason:

No grievous injury can stop a Grey Knight from carrying out their duty. Unleash the goliath firepower of the Venerable Dreadnought with Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Duty Eternal!

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
To be fair, Chaos Gate is your typical flawed gem: it features a very cool dynamic combat system (in which you are incentivized to blitz through the level and all), marred by some bad design decisions that the devs showed no sign of trying to improve:
Like, to respec, or get extra skill points on your knights, you need to have casualties. It would have made sense as a catch up mechanics, but having to lose characters intentionally to buff others is totally stupid, especially since to be really dead, you need a character to be taken out of combat several times.
I think a system which results in you intentionally making Space Marines jump off cliffs is a bad one.

The other element of frustration for me was that the game is "anti RNG", then make the most important things random, like the character classes you can get. It is especially irratitng for the advanced ones.

So I expect the dreadnought will make willingly killing your own knights even more important...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'll try it again with the DLC. The base game was OK for the most part, I guess. I didn't like the boss fights, boss fights in tactical grid based combat games are the bane of my existence. And the RNG item drops were not super fun either. Those were my two biggest gripes and I doubt either will be addressed by the DLC, but maybe it'll be fun to rip through chaos scum as a Techmarine.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
is there any sense of urgency in the campaign?
There is, but only after you achieve some given objectives.
One complain some people had was that the timer was badly conveyed (in that there was a hidden timer for ending the game, once you reach the last phase of the campaign, and you are warned that "doom is upon us" too late to remedy it).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
do you have to sent multiple teams simultaneously or its just one super duper team?
That is one of the area where the game is trolling you:
You can send your alpha squad for the whole game, EXCEPT for the last mission where you need 2 squads of 4, so you'd better have some other dudes ready (and there is a huge power gap between novice and elite knights) for that.
One thing that worked well for me was to rotate the characters on the squad depending on the "secondary objective" (I don't remember how these were called, but these were basically; do level without taking a wound, or kill X enemies in melee...).

Olinser

Savant
do you have to sent multiple teams simultaneously or its just one super duper team?
That is one of the area where the game is trolling you:
You can send your alpha squad for the whole game, EXCEPT for the last mission where you need 2 squads of 4, so you'd better have some other dudes ready (and there is a huge power gap between novice and elite knights) for that.
One thing that worked well for me was to rotate the characters on the squad depending on the "secondary objective" (I don't remember how these were called, but these were basically; do level without taking a wound, or kill X enemies in melee...).
Yeah that was one of the stupidest things they did the entire game, kept out of the top spot only by the 'RECRUITS HAVE RANDOM SKILLS AND YOU MUST HAVE A KNIGHT DIE TO RESPEC THEIR CRAP NON-BUILDS'.

The worst part was that if you DIDN'T have a 2nd squad ready to go, then you were just screwed, because the game has locked you into that mission and you cannot go back to train more. I got lucky because I had been experimenting with some of the other classes and had been training them up for some of the class specific achievements so I was able to field 2 good squads, but it really stuck in my mind as a 'what the hell is THIS crap!?!?'

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

The Technophage is a new corrupted form of the Bloom, threatening the machine spirits as well as living flesh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom