Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

4X Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War - turn-based 4X from Slitherine

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by LESS T_T, Nov 24, 2017.

1. DakaSha V Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    ^ Top  
  2. orcinator Liturgist

orcinator
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    Wat. The closest thing to Sanctus Reach is Blood Bowl. Unless you're talking about the nuXCOM-inspired tactical games where you control only four independent pieces. Sanctus Reach isn't that "type" of tactical. It's on the tactical level of war, you're a commander of a company of soldiers, of around 2-3 platoons, which means a lot of independent units despite the fact that one unit represents one squad.

It's a game in a very niche genre - being faithful to the tabletop game to the point where it includes as many of its flaws as possible without breaking the player. (Cyanide, though, tends to keep it 100% faithful and thus break your mind every time you play Blood Bowl)

Oh right, there is one competitor, so bad I forgot: Warmachine Tactics :lol:

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Lahey Don't despair.. Not until they force you to paint your army before you play...

^ Top  
  5. Lahey Laheyist Patron

Lahey
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I like painting, you just reminded me about mk 3.

^ Top  
  6. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Actually, there is the older Final Liberation, and all the non 40k company level games, lke Steel Panthers or Battle Academy 2.
    That said, there are a lot of things that SR does better than Flib, but it is a shame the overarching campaign system was not better done.

^ Top  
  7. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Current competitors :lol: but you forgot Chaos Gate.

Also, none of the ones you mention remind me of the frustration of the the tabletop game :lol:

^ Top  
  8. Vagiel Augur

Vagiel
    Being faithful to the tabletop is not really something positive since it kind of sucks as a rule set.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    A mini DLC will be out in 3 days:
    It only adds one unit per side, but these are units that will really help giving each more options (I am biased, because I advocated adding 3 of these units during beta).

Land Raider will give (expensive) transportation option to Space Marine Infantry, while Tempestus Scions might make it worthwile to build the AM barrack (only the heavy weapons are worth it ATM).
    The Flash Gitz should give Orks a ranged option to deal with heavy infantry.
    No idea about the way the necron one is supposed to play.
    No idea about the price, though. I hope it will be in line with the small unit count.

Between the neophyte hybrids, and the race that would play in a drastically different way, it looks like they are announcing that Tyrannid will be next.

^ Top  
  10. ricolikesrice Arcane

ricolikesrice
    not a fan of Mini-DLCs - would have been better if they saved up these 5 new units as additional content for the big DLC, not sold seperatly. i.e. like DOW did expansions: 1 (or 2 :p ) new races acompanied by a few new units for the old factions.

....even if the DLC is dirt cheap and even if not many ppl play this in MP anyhow its an unnessarcy clusterfuck to add new units in a game of this genre as paid mini-DLC....

as for the actual content: pretty much exactly the units i was hoping for for each faction : landraiders, scions, immortals and flash gitz :love:

first new race i m betting on either nids or chaos.

hopefully they keep supporting the game for a while : my main fear is a mordheim repeat, i.e. devs that release overpriced low-on-content DLCs with a bunch of new models ..... instead of doing 1-2 proper expansions that could have turned mordheim from mediocre fan-service into a great turn-based tactics game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    At least, for MP, only the host needs to have the expansion, which is pretty cool.
    The cost is 5$, which seems a bit high for the content (but the lack of units was one of the main problem in the base game, so it is OKish I suppose, but hardly great value for money).
    I tried the new units a little:
    The Land Raider is not that useful, given that it happens at the latest tier of the tech tree.
    The tempestus Scion allows you to use Guard infantry without being babysitted by a commissar, but they die pretty quickly, for T4 infantry.
    I played against the flash gitz: they are good against AM infantry, but mediocre against Space Marines, where they perform worse than Tankbustas.
    I didn't notice the immortals doing anything particulary relevant. I will launch a game with necrons to try them, but necrons being trivial to play, I doubt Immortals will change much to their overal playstile (which is spam infantry and steamroll everything, until you can spam monolith + infantry for more steamroll...).

^ Top  
  12. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    The latest update has a lot of AI tweaks:
    It is mostly Ai adding improvements to it, but it makes their AI developer count equal to the civilization series (ie one single dev)!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Tyranids DLC is coming January:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ricolikesrice Arcane

ricolikesrice
    yay, looking forward to it. hopefully the game gets at least 2 more factions (preferably more!) and an active modding scene somewhere down the line.

i really dont get why people constantly talk about there "not being enough good warhammer games" but when there actually TWO (this and sanctus reach) decent ones their fanbases are pretty small. both are far better turn-based strategy/tactics games than shit like Battletech.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    The balance in this one is a complete mess though. Only necrons and orks seem to be competitive in MP.
    Astra Militarium does not stand a chance at all currently (weak infantry that can only do stuff when weak heroes come along... Given how difficult it is to get both out, on top of Komissar being easy to kill, AM doesn't have enough punch to hold until the big bruisers come out).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    It looks like they won't just be orks with a paintjob.
    If there is something they did well in Gladius, it is to make each faction play differently from the other.

^ Top  
  17. ricolikesrice Arcane

ricolikesrice
    played a couple of games with the nids and like em very much - there s of course a few balance issues ( some units seem a lot more usefull than others ) but otherwise they did a great job with the new faction. the units look cool, there s plenty of variety and the combat is still as fun as its been a few months ago.

as far as the units go from my experiences so far:

not-so-usefull for their tier & price AKA may need a buff or i need to learn to play:

-Hormagaunts
    -Tyranid Warriors
    -Carnifex
    -Haruspex
    -Raveners

interesting & usefull AKA feel just about right :

-Termagants
    -Gargoyles
    -Malantroph
    -Zoantrophes
    -Hive Tyrant
    -Tyranid Prime
    -Exocrine
    -Tyrannofex
    -Hive Crone
    -Trygon

way too awesome AKA perhaps overpowered:

-Lictors
    -Tervigon

there were also a few good non-nids-related changes via patches that i really like:

-you can now set up which terrain you prefer at the start of a game, i.e. if you want you can play on all/mostly-desert or all/mostly-ice maps instead of having the usual mixed terrain.
    -way-too-strong artifacts (passive health regen, faster movement speed and higher lline-of-sight) were thankfully removed
    -various other reasonable balance changes

i hope there s not just one but two more factions comming this year: Chaos and Eldar would be my favourites but the community seems to love Tau most ( i can live with em too ), most importantly i hope they keep supporting the game. Player numbers dont seem so great - no clue whats wrong with 40k fans not playing more gems like Gladius & Sanctus Reach .... but buying crap like Inquisitor or the pretty but mind-numbing-untactical Mechanicus.

^ Top  
  18. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Well the Chaos Space Marines were released today. I did one quick game with them and I like them quite a lot, but their race specific mechanics don't really work too well in short games, so this is a race that you'll want to play in a longer skirmish for sure.

^ Top  
  19. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Sooo is the game any good? IS there a campaign or something similar. Have no interest in playing skirmish random generated maps vs some AI.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. ricolikesrice Arcane

ricolikesrice
    the game is pretty damn great if you like turn based strategy/tactics ... but if you re looking for campain/story you better look elsewhere because its all about skirmish and what little story there is is told over text blurbs in each factions quest missions.

Loving the chaos DLC , especially the daemon machine heavy roster:

Chaos cultists
    Chaos Spawns
    Chaos marines
    Chaos Havocs
    Chaos Rhinos
    Khorne Berserkers
    Helbrute
    Maulerfiend
    Heldrake
    Defiler
    Venomcrawler
    Warptalons
    Obliterators
    Chaos Lord
    Warpsmith
    Master of possession
    Daemon prince

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    Found it super boring when I tried some SM and Necron games some time ago. It's a very shallow 4X with CivV-like combat cranked up to 11. Very similar to Warlock games, which were also very popular for reasons that completely eluded me. So if you played Warlock 1/2 I think you can easily gauge the potential of Gladius for you.

And yes, it's a rmg skirmish type of game, obviously.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    If you're looking for a literal Civ clone with a WH40k theme, then you're going to be disappointed. The game has no diplomacy, religion, trade, espionage etc. It's more of a wargame that looks like Civ at a glance, and it does make sense given the source material. However, what the game lacks it makes up with its impressive AI and large and diverse cast of units. I've never seen an AI in a game like this be able to utilize all the unique faction-based mechanics and units in such a competent manner. I haven't clocked in hundreds of hours into the game yet so I'm far from being a master, but games on normal difficulty are still 50/50 win rate for me, because sometimes the AI just obliterates me via clever use of chokepoints, environmental advantage / disadvantages and utilizing the correct units in the correct manner from their optimal ranges. It's very deep for combat, so if you're fine with that then give the game a look.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Commissar Draco Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    For Campaign try the Sanctus Reach or Armageddon Comrade this is another of those games I would never pay any* attention if they were not in WH40K.

*Not paying attention anyway since its tech demo without campaign or at least interesting scenarios.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. orcinator Liturgist

orcinator
    Not sure if it's been improved since release but when I played it the Ai suffered from the usual 4x issues, namely the inability for large scale manuavers. In the one game I played I managed to destroy an imperial guard death carpet with a small group of orks, they had a bunch of levels and so could practically one shot everything but if the AI would have sent in all its units at once it would have beaten them.

^ Top  
  25. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Wish I had the screenshot of the last game I lost to AM. Half the screen was just their Basilisks, Leman Russ Tanks and Baneblades coming toward my base. Couldn't do anything because if I tried to come close with a unit they'd just get Overwatched to death.

• Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.