Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War - turn-based 4X from Slitherine

Citizen

Sooo is the game any good? IS there a campaign or something similar. Have no interest in playing skirmish random generated maps vs some AI.

If you expect a civ/smac, then no. If u are excited about an idea of panzer general 2 combat with some 4x-lite fluff thrown on top of it, then yes :bounce:

I enjoyed it for few games with base factions, but it just doesn't hook me in with that '1 more turn oh shit its 4am' magic as other 4x or wargames do, so I haven't get DLCs yet

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
If by "general 2 combat" you mean that there are hexes, turns and... uh... different unit types then I guess. Otherwise, this game is nothing like PG2.

Citizen

If by "general 2 combat" you mean that there are hexes, turns and... uh... different unit types then I guess. Otherwise, this game is nothing like PG2.

Hexes, units are squads (so not only dmg but also number of attacks matter, many strategies with simplistic combat dont use that), one unit per tile, you cannot move by one tile (so no scouting and retreating the same turn), and so on. Felt close to PG to me

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tau DLC is out, which means we probably won't see Eldars in this one either. I may be an old geezer, but I never "got" Tau. they seem to fill the exact same niche than Eldars, but with an anime skin.

Edit: actually, it seems that the dev said Eldars would be next on Discord.

This game is nothing like PG, it's 40k Beyond Earth and just as bland. It even has a worse tech tree, feat deserving tipping my hat to.
Indeed, the game is a bit bland, and the tech tree is atrocious, but the AI is decent, which is more than can be said for most of its competitions.
Also, it works surprisingly well in MP.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm a fan of Tau and have been waiting for this DLC for a while now. Liking it a lot so far, and the vaguely racist VA in the faction intro was a great way to open up the new faction. Haven't had too much time to sink into it yet, but on the surface I think the new twists in gameplay that the Tau bring will be a fun addition to the game. It's also funny how much battlefield control Tau have in the early game as all your Tau units can just shit out Gun Drones (the things are so powerful) and you can also pacify some neutral units into becoming yours.

Endemic

Arcane
At least they went back on the portrayal of the Tau as being the 'good guys' and added some much needed grimdark to their fluff.

They're "good" in the sense that they don't immediately murder you on sight for being a xeno, which hasn't changed AFAIK.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
At least they went back on the portrayal of the Tau as being the 'good guys' and added some much needed grimdark to their fluff.

They're "good" in the sense that they don't immediately murder you on sight for being a xeno, which hasn't changed AFAIK.

Well, they'll brainwash and enslave you instead. But yeah, they're less horrible than most of the setting's races and factions

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I've been playing the Tau some more and I think they are mechanically a cool new addition. Luckily two of the first random AIs I met were also Tau and since the AI is pretty competent at playing up to the factions' strengths in this game I was able to learn a few tips on how I should engage my base building with the Tau for future games. They're a really strong faction that rely a lot on utility, and it feels like I'm only scratching the surface on how to utilize them to their highest potential.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I've been playing the Tau some more and I think they are mechanically a cool new addition. Luckily two of the first random AIs I met were also Tau and since the AI is pretty competent at playing up to the factions' strengths in this game I was able to learn a few tips on how I should engage my base building with the Tau for future games. They're a really strong faction that rely a lot on utility, and it feels like I'm only scratching the surface on how to utilize them to their highest potential.
Actually, I found the game much more interesting with set teams rather than FFA.
Otherwise, it boils down to try to "funnel" one AI against another.

razvedchiki

Erudite
i played a couple of games with various races and i had constantly to remind myself that this is a warhammer game,you can just rename the factions and they could fit in any generic sci fi settings.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Actually, I found the game much more interesting with set teams rather than FFA.
Otherwise, it boils down to try to "funnel" one AI against another.
I like to do total vanilla when I play a team for the first few time. I, too, think the game works better with teams otherwise.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
i played a couple of games with various races and i had constantly to remind myself that this is a warhammer game,you can just rename the factions and they could fit in any generic sci fi settings.
I found it a bit less true with the DLC factions (Tyranids and Chaos. Taus are not something I am super interested in yet), but the vanilla factions are really generic indeed (and Terminator spam feels weird and anti thematic).

Edija

Arcane
Patron
The animations are bearable, actually better than in Age of Wonders 3 or Planetfall. It's a bit grindy but I'm just trying to get into it. The AI seems competent enough, I really struggle at hard but might be me just being bad at the game.

Also, fuck those Enslavers, holy shit.

it might be the obviously uninteresting and tiny maps, or perhaps the steep loss in loyalty, or the pretty stupid ai which can't keep up with barbarians, but i went in looking for a civ-lite but found only a mildly irritating experience. every base i build past the first is only to keep up with upkeep of capital's production, and the "whoever can build outposts just by walking" system makes for bases which are pretty much all the same.
even my love for tyranids didn't really convince me. i'll play more most probably, but i'm skeptical.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom