Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Warhammer 40,000 Lore Thread

Mitleser2020

Scholar
http://www.ianwatson.info/return-of-the-inquisitor-to-budapest/
My Warhammer 40K novels feature the Imperial Fists chapter of Space Marines whose progenitor and geneseed provider was the mighty primarch Rogal Dorn. Can it be a coincidence that Hungary treasures as an authentic relic in its cathedral the mummified browny yellow fist of Rogan Dorn himself? I refer to the fist of Szent István (King St Stephen) who brought about the dawn of the nation of Hungary in the year One Thousand A.D. The chain of ownership of this Fist is fully autheticated all the way from when it was recovered from a thief-priest named Mercurius only 50 years after Dorn’s death, I mean after István’s death. The fist is known as the Dexter or Right Hand Jobb in Hungarian.

The late 19th century cathedral of Saint Stephen strives vastly to impress. Aesthetically in vain. Its grand dome collapsed soon after completion, but instead of being thrown into the Danube the architect was retained to find out the reason why (imbalance on the pillars), and he engineered a re-erection. This was good for us visitors because, as well as revering the fist of Rogal Dorn, we ascended to the dome by lift then went outside for a wonderful 360 degree walk-around panorama of Budapest city.
102694771.jpg

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
http://www.ianwatson.info/return-of-the-inquisitor-to-budapest/
My Warhammer 40K novels feature the Imperial Fists chapter of Space Marines whose progenitor and geneseed provider was the mighty primarch Rogal Dorn. Can it be a coincidence that Hungary treasures as an authentic relic in its cathedral the mummified browny yellow fist of Rogan Dorn himself? I refer to the fist of Szent István (King St Stephen) who brought about the dawn of the nation of Hungary in the year One Thousand A.D. The chain of ownership of this Fist is fully autheticated all the way from when it was recovered from a thief-priest named Mercurius only 50 years after Dorn’s death, I mean after István’s death. The fist is known as the Dexter or Right Hand Jobb in Hungarian.

The late 19th century cathedral of Saint Stephen strives vastly to impress. Aesthetically in vain. Its grand dome collapsed soon after completion, but instead of being thrown into the Danube the architect was retained to find out the reason why (imbalance on the pillars), and he engineered a re-erection. This was good for us visitors because, as well as revering the fist of Rogal Dorn, we ascended to the dome by lift then went outside for a wonderful 360 degree walk-around panorama of Budapest city.
102694771.jpg
c88b6f6b478dfa6a67fb1c37bd68c2e8.png

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
TBH fam, I liked the oldcrons much more - as a technological opposite number of the Tyranids, largely unthinking force concerned simply with extinguishing all life it would come across. The new lore that turned them into grumpy space Egyptians that dont like it when some hooligans trample their lawn and sometimes ally themselves with Blood Angels aint really my thing.

Votann lore is IMO OK - not great, not terrible. Squads were a massive meme ever since GW decided to nuke them from the lore, so I guess that bringing them back in this form might be seen as an attempt at fan service. Not the worst thing that GW could do if you ask me.

Vatnik Wumao
The new lore that turned them into grumpy space Egyptians that dont like it when some hooligans trample their lawn and sometimes ally themselves with Blood Angels aint really my thing.
That's fair enough. I personally love what they've done with them. Both The Infinite and the Divine and The Twice-Dead King novels are among my favorite Wh40k works. And if someone's feeling nostalgic for the Oldcrons, there's always Necrons that have either succumbed to the flayer virus or that are simply being controlled by a freed C'tan shard.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Lol Henry Cavill

"How much time have you been carving for your gaming life?" Horowitz asks the Witcher star.

Cavill hems and haws slightly, before settling on "a fair amount," explaining: "When I say 'a fair amount,' that probably means 'a lot' for those who don't game."

"Just four hours a day?" Horowitz quips.

"Errr… Maybe more." Cavill replies.

We've all been there. The actor went on to explain he's been playing Total War: Warhammer 3 (opens in new tab), the latest entry in a series he was honored in (opens in new tab) with an ingame unit. Cavill also mentions that while most of the people in his life are supportive of his hobbies, he's elicited some pained responses from acquaintances when showing off his miniature collection (opens in new tab).
https://www.pcgamer.com/henry-cavil...low&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social

Also

Caim

Arcane
Why yes, teaming up with the Flesh Tearers is a suicide mission.

For whoever's teaming up with them.

lightbane

Arcane
The only possibly worse ally are the Subjugators, the Iron Hands taken to memetic extremes that during a skirmish destroy EVERYTHING, in order to prevent the enemy from taking the Imperium's resources. But I'm not sure anyone plays with these.

Akratus II

Savant
Patron
So, recently I've read these:

Requiem Infernal
A Peter Fehervari book that came highly recommended. And I read it because I was interested in the Sororitas. But it really is more of a Dark Coil book than a Sororitas book. Fehervari is a good writer but I don't think his 40k books are for me. I'm not interested in puzzling clues from multiple books together, and in this one I felt like the characters were just on a ride, with little agency and most of the book being about their relation to the spooky stuff that goes on in these books rather than any regular drama, conflict, etc. Which was there, but felt ancillary to the aforementioned stuff. Not a bad book by any means but it wasn't for me. Though apparently this one is a bit of a culmination for the Dark Coil 'storyline', so I should blame myself really.

Lukas the Trickster
I pushed on through this because I'm a Deldar fanboy but hoo boy. This Josh Reynolds fella really doesn't do it for me. Absolutely dull writing style, and not very intelligent characters or plot points. Honestly very forgettable except for the conflict between Lukas and the culture of the Space Wolves and Duke Sliscus giving zero fucks.

The Last Days of Ector
A Valedor prequel short story. Kind of predictable but decently written. The story of a few space marines during a Tyranid invasion. Enjoyable.

Wraithflight
Another Valedor... mid-quel? A short story. Not very special, and shorter than the Last Days of Ector, I believe. Basically just a single scene, but not bad.

Farseer
An oldie. But not a goodie, in my opinion. Not a lot of meat on the bones here. It definitely felt like a rent-an-author writing a little adventure book to sell a toy line. Ok I'm exaggerating, and it's not like it's aimed at children but it bored me. Still I managed to finish it so it wasn't garbage tier.

Down Amongst the Dead Men
Good short story about the Death Korps of Krieg. Just solid, nothing more to add.

I just started Storm of Iron. Just 60 pages in but digging it a lot. I wasn't sure what to read next but I'm sure now I've made the right decision.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
I just started Storm of Iron. Just 60 pages in but digging it a lot. I wasn't sure what to read next but I'm sure now I've made the right decision.
Good man. For more Iron Warrior goodness, you should likewise read Angel Exterminatus and Hammer of Olympia if you haven't already. (Also recc the Perty-themed The Emperor's Architect short story from the Sons of the Emperor anthology).

Caim

Arcane
Turns out that Commissar Yarrick is fucking dead, killed unceremoneously in an off-hand mention in the new IG Codex.

Ghazghkull will not be pleased.

Caim

Arcane
We don't have a confirmation of how Yarrick died, but the last place we knew he went before dying was Armageddon. And you know who else went to Armageddon? Someone who's getting a new model soon:

Oas8KEz.jpg

Note the necklace of skulls he's wearing. One of them appears to have a bionic eye over its left socket...

Akratus II

Savant
Patron
Finished Storm of Iron.

3943abd1275401eb6020164e0337e210.jpg

That is all.

Also, they weren't exactly expanded on much, in fact I think you never read from the princeps' perspective but I kind of love chaos titans now. The 'Dies Irae' of the 'Legio Mortis', the eye of terror infusing it with an aura of pure terror infused over ten thousand years... unph, *chef's kiss*.

I'm onto 'Pawns of Chaos' now and then I'll do Titanicus I think, I hear that one's good. Also, anyone here play Adeptus Titanicus? I hear it's cool.

Last edited:
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Read "Where Dere's Da Warp Dere's A Way" and "Brutal Kunnin". Really loved the Ork perspective, it always seems like that's the only race in the setting that actually has fun. Any other good orky books?

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Chaos killing Yarrick would be the ork equivalent of a criminal syndicate killing your beautiful wife on the eve of the perfect wedding you had been planning for years. And khorne help him if Angron is indeed wearing his skull.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Chaos killing Yarrick would be the ork equivalent of a criminal syndicate killing your beautiful wife on the eve of the perfect wedding you had been planning for years. And khorne help him if Angron is indeed wearing his skull.

Inb4 GW writers having the Orks purge the eye of terror and saving the galaxy, before quickly returning to the status quo.

Honestly the best ending imo.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
If they killed Yarrick,they should've least made him die honorably,preferably in a blaze of glory.
Like telling Angron to go fuck himself or something.
Of course,Angron being Angron,melee combat monster and all that,Yarrick doesn't really stand a chance against him. Neither those Grey Knights Mary Sue fucks,but they banished(Hyperion did it) Angron on Armageddon,so there's that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom