Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So my assumption re: Space Marines in this game is that you can't have one in the party because he would just be too powerful. I mean, aside for all the lore reasons why he wouldn't be in your party, he would also be horribly unbalanced. Right?
I barely know anything about this game, but given how there's a Space Wolf on the splash art, I think the chances are pretty good you'll get an Astartes at least temporarily.

Lore-wise it's not unreasonable for Rogue Traders to get marine "consultants" or whatever if their aims coincide.

Early-game a marine would be OP. Lategame when your characters gets a bunch of fancy stuff and are regularly counter-torturing dark eldar for giggles?

Eh, probably not so much.
Indeed, if I recall, chapters can "lend" Space Marines to Rogue Traders for a limited time to repay a favor. I don't know whether it was possible to have a PC Space Marine in the RPG, but I think it was.

Vermillion

Educated
I don't know whether it was possible to have a PC Space Marine in the RPG, but I think it was.
Deathwatch had rules for a Marine PC to crossover in Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader. Basically it was a class designed around being in squad cohesion with itself. Not a good class for Deathwatch since it's designed around being able to use the squad mechanics on its own and deathwatch is about using chapter abilities to help the squad as a whole.
Rule of thumb was that marines tended to suck when Rogue Traders needed to be diplomatic or Acolytes needed to be sneaky but they'd be great in combat scenarios. So balance was on the GM to remember that these are role playing games and not wargames. It tends to open up lots of options for the GM to fuck with players.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
You can to some extend. Admech, Kasballica, Drusians and Felloship of the Void (perhaps some other factions that I havent yet seen as well) have traders with special stuff and they unlock tiers of their goods for you depending on your status with them. The goods that the faction traders sell are much better than the stuff you can find most of the time. There is even a screen with faction relations in the character menu.

Reputation.jpg

You earn reputation points with factions by doing quests for them or making decisions in their favour during some CYOA events or in colony management and also by selling goods that they like to their traders (ie AdMech for example wants to buy archeotech/working machines that you manage to find, Kasballica likes xeno stuff, Drusians like chaos stuff so they can purge it or something). In colonisation you can decide to build projects that favour some factions in similar way, also for example when I secured Janus there was an option to put AdMech in power on the planet which among other things gave a relationship bonus.

Certainly this system could have been more fleshed out (and perhaps it will be yet), but at least the basic mechanics are present already.

Anyway, in other news I installed the alpha on a different computer now and it turns out that the saves dont carry over through Steam, so my main playthrough is on hold for now, until I get back - pitty, I just got to the Rogue Trader´s palace on Dragonos (you indeed do rule an empire). Guess I might play a bit with the criminal background for now...

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Indeed, if I recall, chapters can "lend" Space Marines to Rogue Traders for a limited time to repay a favor.
I am curious what chapters are most likely to actually do this.
The Space Wolves? White Scars?
Somehow, I can't see chapters like the Dark Angels or Black Templars doing this.

lightbane

Arcane
Speaking of trade: How does buying stuff work? With regular money? In the pnp game, it introduced (rather, refined the system of Influence from DH: Ascension) the mechanic known as Profit, used in most games afterwards, which was basically a 1d100 roll vs your score with modifiers considering rarity of the item, your personal wealth, location, and so on. Unfortunately it was quite wonky as it either made getting some things impossible if you're unlucky, or impossible to fail if you're rich enough (by the endgame).

I liked Deathwatch's system where you had a limited number of points to get stuff, but sadly it wasn't used anywhere else.

Glory to Ukraine
No, you buy stuff with Profit Factor (PF) just like in PnP. The size of your profit factor is dictated by colonies you own, but you can increase it through other means too (CYOA choices and such). When you spend PF it will always recharge over time to your current limit - you pass time by making warp jumps.

Edit: also Word Bearers.

1671360006215.png

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
I liked Deathwatch's system where you had a limited number of points to get stuff, but sadly it wasn't used anywhere else.

The thing is that Deathwatch doesnt really buy anything, so the requisitions depending on the prestige of the given kill team make sense for them, though not for many other contexts. IIRC Only War had also somewhat similar system for requisitions which simulated the ability of PCs to work the system/bribe quartermasters to get better gear for themselves (there the modifiers also included the strategic situation in the theater of war - ie it was more difficult to get a good gear if the Imperial Guard was losing or on the other hand if it was advancing fast and outrunning the logistics).

BTW if someone would like to read a book to get into the proper mood for the game, I just came across Resurrection: The Horusian Wars by John French. It is from the point of view of the Inquisition, but a Rogue Trader dynasty plays a huge part in the story, as do for example the Imperial Navy or Navigators and their internal politics and role they play in the Imperium. Pretty solid stuff, plus it puts the character of Cassia into some perspective (given that she is a very young Navigator and the book shows pretty well how the Navigators tend to transform over time).

Sacibengala

Prophet
As we're speaking of Owlcat, how's the dialogue in this game? (I know it's alpha, all placeholder, but whatever)

lightbane

Arcane
No, you buy stuff with Profit Factor (PF) just like in PnP. The size of your profit factor is dictated by colonies you own, but you can increase it through other means too (CYOA choices and such). When you spend PF it will always recharge over time to your current limit - you pass time by making warp jumps.
Sounds good enough.

The thing is that Deathwatch doesnt really buy anything, so the requisitions depending on the prestige of the given kill team make sense for them, though not for many other contexts.
Well, sure, but it ensured that if you could "pay" for whatever piece of gear you wanted, you got it, period, without having to rely on the whims of a dice roll. Kinda like buying stuff with credits from the Dark Heresy game.

IIRC Only War had also somewhat similar system for requisitions which simulated the ability of PCs to work the system/bribe quartermasters to get better gear for themselves (there the modifiers also included the strategic situation in the theater of war - ie it was more difficult to get a good gear if the Imperial Guard was losing or on the other hand if it was advancing fast and outrunning the logistics).
OW's system wasn't good. It was derivative of Profit Factor and worse, as not only you were technically forced to return whatever shit you managed to get or else face consequences, you're penalized if the war is going badly thus risking entering into a negative spiral. IMO what that caused was for players to get into advanced careers/prestige classes that included whatever special gear you wanted to get.

Vermillion

Educated
As we're speaking of Owlcat, how's the dialogue in this game? (I know it's alpha, all placeholder, but whatever)

I assume that will be trash unless you go full chaos.

Just like in WoTR, as an Lich, the dialog/companions are far better than as an Azata.
You can play a fairly faithful imperial but there are dialogues where you can disagree with established doctrine. Pasqal will look at you as a threat if you admit to being an atheist and Yrliet will praise you if you criticize the more inhumane actions of the imperium (servitors) or respond sarcastically when you act xenophobic. Abelard and Heinrix are both written pretty well but also how you'd expect for their character archetypes. Cassia has routes where you can train her to be confident or you can go full grooming route and have her entirely dependent on you for decision making. She also hates you if you're an idiot.
t2lavv.png

not woke enough
but i complained on the discord and got a pretty positive reaction(even DMd by a dev) so hopefully this will get fixed by the time beta comes
please god no please at least tell me this is a joke
It would be dreadfully ironic if trolls actually ended up being the cause for content they hate being added. It's kind of like if you pretend to be an idiot all the time, you're actually just an idiot.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Codex Year of the Donut

Just like in WoTR, as an Lich, the dialog/companions are far better than as an Azata.
You can play a fairly faithful imperial but there are dialogues where you can disagree with established doctrine. Pasqal will look at you as a threat if you admit to being an atheist and Yrliet will praise you if you criticize the more inhumane actions of the imperium (servitors) or respond sarcastically when you act xenophobic. Abelard and Heinrix are both written pretty well but also how you'd expect for their character archetypes. Cassia has routes where you can train her to be confident or you can go full grooming route and have her entirely dependent on you for decision making. She also hates you if you're an idiot.
t2lavv.png

not woke enough
but i complained on the discord and got a pretty positive reaction(even DMd by a dev) so hopefully this will get fixed by the time beta comes
It would be dreadfully ironic if trolls actually ended up being the cause for content they hate being added. It's kind of like if you pretend to be an idiot all the time, you're actually just an idiot.
Can you beat her for that sarcastic bullshit?

Vermillion

Educated

t2lavv.png

not woke enough
Can you beat her for that sarcastic bullshit?
She only says it if you go out of your way to choose the wrong dialogue. For context, I called her a monster and told her she's not allowed to leave her room unless I need her. Later I will kill her extended family in my throne room.

lightbane

Arcane
Considering Navies come from noble houses with equal or more power than Rogue Trader's ones, doing that should put you into a risk. Similar case with the niggres 'path, who is also essential for comms unless you have an offscreen spare somewhere.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Double posting coz who the fuck is gonna stop me?

Sometimes the planets you explore have CYOA events:

View attachment 31439

You can also sometimes start your own colonies and develop them:

View attachment 31440

The development of the colonies allows you to do favours for various factions and get benefits from them. Colonies also earn you Profit Factor and provide other things depending on the stuff you build there.

View attachment 31441

So you got the foundation of a p. gud party based RPG with TB combat and all that it entails and on top of that there is solid space combat module, CYOA stuff and at least basic colony management stuff. Shit is pretty cash tbh fam.

Of course as you would expect in a modern RPG, you also get to deal with the drama produced by your party members back home on your ship. For example Cassia´s stuff is very well written and literaly oozes 40Kness:

She is unable to control her powers and she is an emmo teenager, at one point she orders 100 pet birds, who go batshit because of her psyker influence, kill each other or die of fear, then she indirectly makes a random crewman slaughter his whole family and commit suicide afterwards - all the while she acts as the cute girl she deep down is. Good shit all around, this is some proper 40K stuff.

This gaem is gud.
We have two games showing off owlcats skills at and philosophy designing overworld systems... And they are shit.

Saying that this has CYOA bits, space combat and colony development when the previous games also had CYOA, army combat and city development, as something we should be excited about just tells me you are delusional.

Glory to Ukraine
I dont care about D&D and never even saw any of Owlcat´s previous releases. I care about 40K PnP systems and I play the Alpha. I post my impressions on that basis. Also I like CYOA, space combat and colony management I have seen so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom