Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
By the way, one of the things you could do in the RT game was to be a literal colonialist and teach forgotten worlds of the glories of Modernity/the God Emprah.

I wonder if this will be a thing in the incoming game, seeing as it is intentionally politically incorrect.

Yes it is. You can also literaly massacre refugess if you want to.

. Note that I don't know how similar is this to supposed RT PnP but this is fundamentally a dice based game outside and inside combat and it shows. Owlcat is basically modifying their engine system to fit this game.
Basically a direct adaptation besides combining some skills, swapping archetypes for classes, retooling some universal actions as class abilities, and over all dumbing it down for retards. Of course anyone could know this by simply reading when I explained the system long before Alpha even released.
As pointed how CP2077 is not really evocative of what you feel from Cyberpunk setting, the way Owlcat is doing this so far is not "grim dark".
Again because it's a fairly faithful adaptation of FF's Rogue Trader (The Tabletop RPG) which generally had a lighter tone compared to Dark Heresy and commissioned art tended towards a brighter, vibrant color scheme. If anything, the problem with the game is that NPC clothing isn't garish enough. Rogue Trader is NOT 40k the Wargame and its aesthetics differ for that reason.
Please stop lying. This looks nothing like the Rogue Trader RPG.

c5625ea8d410d4b3d4fa9350436eb3b7.jpg

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
So my assumption re: Space Marines in this game is that you can't have one in the party because he would just be too powerful. I mean, aside for all the lore reasons why he wouldn't be in your party, he would also be horribly unbalanced. Right?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So my assumption re: Space Marines in this game is that you can't have one in the party because he would just be too powerful. I mean, aside for all the lore reasons why he wouldn't be in your party, he would also be horribly unbalanced. Right?
I barely know anything about this game, but given how there's a Space Wolf on the splash art, I think the chances are pretty good you'll get an Astartes at least temporarily.

Lore-wise it's not unreasonable for Rogue Traders to get marine "consultants" or whatever if their aims coincide.

Early-game a marine would be OP. Lategame when your characters gets a bunch of fancy stuff and are regularly counter-torturing dark eldar for giggles?

Eh, probably not so much.

Vermillion

Educated
Please stop lying. This looks nothing like the Rogue Trader RPG.
Post some actual art.
Ok.
6thu9y.jpg

Clean plastic Eldar
eagc35.jpg

jvkhp3.jpg

Well lit open tropical area. Like Janus.
00eodq.jpg

Bright clean clothing. Colors don't differ from Heinrix portrait. Or any character's portrait. The rest of the art is either in grayscale, or art assets not made specifically for Rogue Trader but still borrowed for the books. Would you like me to start screencapping community memes that were placed in the books? (Love can Bloom, Comissar Dan, etc) Again it really comes down to what I poked fun about a few pages back, you really just want them to desaturate the existing assets, drop the lighting, and throw on a green filter. You can make it as dark as you want right now, just mess with the gamma.

Beyond that, the story beats of the actual book aren't nearly as grimdark as the wargame proper. You ally with the Eldar and Rogue Traders to defeat a Chaos Craft World, you ERP with Gaia world npcs, you pull a heist on a chaos pirate base, and you save a planet from orks in a mad max styled convoy fight. Rogue Trader is about the adventure, it's not about endless suffering down in the trenches. That concept was given to the Dark Heresy and Only War books.

I barely know anything about this game, but given how there's a Space Wolf on the splash art, I think the chances are pretty good you'll get an Astartes at least temporarily.

Lore-wise it's not unreasonable for Rogue Traders to get marine "consultants" or whatever if their aims coincide.

Early-game a marine would be OP. Lategame when your characters gets a bunch of fancy stuff and are regularly counter-torturing dark eldar for giggles?

Datamine suggests we'll get the Space Wolf while in the Dark Eldar Homeworld. Basically the Alushinyrra arc 2.0 in 40k. Hopefully the city isn't as shit as the Pathfinder one.

Gradenmayer

Learned
If they keep it lore accurate, yes. If you had a Marine in your group, game's difficulty would have to be designed around him, which means all other early to midgame teammates become utility kits for that marine at best.
Maybe as a temporary teammate for couple fights like.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

largely one-man
Incorrect. Grimoire is a one large man project.
Can't it be a largely one large man one-man project... or something?
Or simply one-neanderthal project.
I just want to be helpful.

can you select pronouns in dis gaem like in bg3?
The funny part is that in this setting it would make more sense than in BG3 or Pathfinder. Not the way some crazy ideology-diriven fuckers think of it of curse but still. Think of all chaos creations, what's 10 or 100 additional genders for Slanesh? And the tech priests, half of them already have disposed of their private parts - just like some our gender ideology crazy people in real life.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I love how gender pronouns, black vikings and female soldiers are now something normal that only *roll-eyes* chud culture warriors fighting in ''invisible war'' are concerned about. Men Persons of good stature in society do not concern themxers with such trivial things as upcoming AI job destroyer, World on brink of Nuclear War, Demonic Trannies teaching 7year olds how to suck mean black dildo in Texas schools, unlimited migration from Africa and other wonderful aspects of our little dystopia. No. They collect their pay checks, play as strong warrior queens in their latest buggy, shitty BG3/WoTR-like and brofist Infinitron. I stopped stressing, focused on good old and new indie games and just laugh. Laugh all day. At farce called human society and at people I used to respect so much

Decline of Codex is unbelievable

Last edited:

Peachcurl

Cipher
I love how gender pronouns, black vikings and female soldiers are now something normal that only *roll-eyes* chud culture warriors fighting in ''invisible war'' are concerned about. Men Persons of good stature in society do not concern themxers with such trivial things as upcoming AI job destroyer, World on brink of Nuclear War, Demonic Trannies teaching 7year olds how to suck mean black dildo in Texas schools, unlimited migration from Africa and other wonderful aspects of our little dystopia. No. They collect their pay checks, play as strong warrior queens in their latest buggy, shitty BG3/WoTR-like and brofist Infinitron. I stopped stressing, focused on good old and new indie games and just laugh. Laugh all day. At farce called human society and at people I used to respect so much

Belief in decline is codified

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Decline of Humanity, brother.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Well yes, nothing lasts forever indeed. So? Change is inevitable. You can cry all day long about it and make silly claims like "civilization is doomed!" all you want, doesn't make it true. Just pathetic special snowflake crying.
So you agree that things change. This is some progress.
Do you believe they always, 100% of the time change for the better then?

Also not "Civilization" but THIS civilization. Western. Christian one. You got it backwards. No wonder you can't understand the issue. What will happen with humanity in long term - who knows. But Rome is falling.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
"Western Christian civilization is falling" boo hoo.
What does that mean? You misquoted and then added "boo hoo". If you tried to say that a failing civilization isn't a concern for You, as i said before, Romans in 4/5th century were saying the same, as were many others. I said "Rome is failing". Any civlization, be it Roman in the past, today's Christian one or any other can and must eventually fail or radically change, becoming something new. It's only a question of "when" and "how painful" this process is. You agreed in previous post: you said: "...nothing lasts forever (...) change is inevitable.". Yes it is. You have repeated a statement without understanding what it means in the context. Boo hoo? Or rather "facepalm"?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Datamine suggests we'll get the Space Wolf while in the Dark Eldar Homeworld. Basically the Alushinyrra arc 2.0 in 40k. Hopefully the city isn't as shit as the Pathfinder one.

Nice. Only thing I hate more than space elves are edgy space elves. EXTERMINATUS playthrough is best.

The Emperor wills it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom