Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You could do that "hopeless last stand" thingy even in 40k warhammer
point is it's really hopeless. no astartes drop pods in the last minute.
There's always hope, even without astartes. Age of strife provides a huge bag of deus ex machina endings.

See also: emperor of mankind.
I haven't kept up with WHF in ages. But I kinda/sorta know what Age of Sigmar is. Did they introduce the 40k Emperor in it?
I dunno alot about Age of Sigmar, the premise never interested me alot. Has nothing to do with W40k though, or Age of Strife. Age of Sigmar is a separate setting? Or some sort of offshoot of Warhammer fantasy? I don't remember the specifics.

But yes, the Emperor took over Terra in the Age of Strife (though he may have been alive much longer), which kinda marks the end of that age.
Oh I was confusing Age of Strife with Age of Sigmar. Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, it's some sort of reboot of WHF that brought in the end times and made it more edgy or something. I think I read that they were trying to draw more interest / the 40k crowd into buying WHF stuff as well and instead didn't, but irritated people who were into WHF, so GW just sort of screwed themselves with it.

Reinhardt

Arcane
btw about whfb, just remembered reading long ago small bit about how bunch of soldiers camped in some ruins and were eaten by giant spiders. can't remember was it in some whfb rpg bestiary or maybe even in that mmo... can anyone point me to it?

zapotec

Liturgist
btw about whfb, just remembered reading long ago small bit about how bunch of soldiers camped in some ruins and were eaten by giant spiders. can't remember was it in some whfb rpg bestiary or maybe even in that mmo... can anyone point me to it?
It was the 2nd edition bestiary of the warhammer fantasy RPG

“Well, let me tell you, I was running with a company
near the Drak Wald forest. We’d made camp for the
night near this old ruin. Just a couple of walls it was
really, but it gave some shelter from the wind. Anyway,
I was on second watch along with three others, when
these things came boiling up out of the ground. I’ve
never been good with spiders, but these were monsters.
Ten feet tall on these long hairy legs. There must have
been twenty of then at least! Those of us who were still
asleep didn’t stand a chance. They were bitten before they
could defend themselves, bitten and dragged away. I just
grabbed the nearest thing I had to hand which was a
brand out of the fire. Well, they didn’t like that, did they!
They were backing away with their mouthparts clacking,
and we beat them back down into the pit they crawled
out of. Then we retreated. I still have nightmares about
that night, and what happened to the men we had to leave
behind.”

Reinhardt

Arcane
It was the 2nd edition bestiary of the warhammer fantasy RPG

“Well, let me tell you, I was running with a company
near the Drak Wald forest. We’d made camp for the
night near this old ruin. Just a couple of walls it was
really, but it gave some shelter from the wind. Anyway,
I was on second watch along with three others, when
these things came boiling up out of the ground. I’ve
never been good with spiders, but these were monsters.
Ten feet tall on these long hairy legs. There must have
been twenty of then at least! Those of us who were still
asleep didn’t stand a chance. They were bitten before they
could defend themselves, bitten and dragged away. I just
grabbed the nearest thing I had to hand which was a
brand out of the fire. Well, they didn’t like that, did they!
They were backing away with their mouthparts clacking,
and we beat them back down into the pit they crawled
out of. Then we retreated. I still have nightmares about
that night, and what happened to the men we had to leave
behind.”
:bro:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You could do that "hopeless last stand" thingy even in 40k warhammer, no need for age of strife.

Well said. An warp storm can make things similar to age of strife in a planet.

I used to think that when(not if) the emperor dies, a new age of strife is coming, but maybe the Emperor will become an very powerful warp deity. Think a bit. The warp is a dimension where faith has a lot of power. Even Tau with their weak souls could create entities in the warp. Now imagine trillions of humans from countless ages worshiping the emperor, every single day, thousands of psykers being scarified to strengthen the emperor and so on. He would become quite powerful in the warp. Maybe enough to have his own realm there.

Warhammer Fantasy is boring. :/
is indistinguishable from some other random fantasy setting.

No, is not. I read a bit about it and seems interesting. Wizards there are far more specialized and dangerous. As an Wizard, you either live in a golden cage as an Imperial Wizard or have freedom but is in constant danger of being hunted by the
Witch Hunters. The German inspired empire is cool. The artillery and blackpowder stuff thrown into the typical fantasy setting + all the lore about the creation of the empire and greenskins is quite interesting.

Wo2yFuC.png

This doesn't seem boring https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Witch_Hunters

except dying with dignity.

For the emperor!!!!

If I die but kill a single one of them, is worth.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I used to think that when(not if) the emperor dies, a new age of strife is coming, but maybe the Emperor will become an very powerful warp deity. Think a bit. The warp is a dimension where faith has a lot of power. Even Tau with their weak souls could create entities in the warp. Now imagine trillions of humans from countless ages worshiping the emperor, every single day, thousands of psykers being scarified to strengthen the emperor and so on. He would become quite powerful in the warp. Maybe enough to have his own realm there.
You are several decades behind. Of course He will. That is, if He isn't already one. The Chaos Gods don't call Him "Anathema" without reason.

lightbane

Arcane
Interestingly enough, war orphans in 40k generally have a better life than the vast majority of human population, as they are raised in the Schola Progenium. A tough-as-balls catholic boarding school that trains children for prestigious careers in the Officio Prefectus (commissars), Adepta Sororitas and even occasionally the Inquisition, among other such lofty roles.

I like to think of them as over-the-top British schools with bullies everywhere. I think one of the Ciaphas Cain's books stated just that, with young Sororitas having violent football matches and such.

Fuck tau, GW's writing is all over the place by default but it gets particularly bad whenever tau are involved

That's because Tau fundamentally don't belong in 40k.
But we have the squats back! Somewhat.

The Tau are hilariously mismatched: they're anime japs in space, who can't do melee well for some reason (despite having the tech to rig something up easily). If you wanted the weeb audience, give em katanas and gundam swords.
They do have some "low-range energy emitters" and plasma gauntlets, but they're the exception.

While not as straightfoward as Alignment, there's a lot of implications of tracking what you do, and your party options are pretty obviously split along die-hard Imperial loyalists and more pragmatic individualists, so you'll probably have to pick a side or toe the line very carefully. It's basically the classical Inquisitor Puritan-Radical axis.

Is there an Insanity and Corruption meter to track your character mental and spiritual decay? That was a thing in the pnp games. Not as important for RTs, as they won't face god-horror cults daily.

There are no Tau in the Koronus Expanse

Barring the odd source-book that added them as a playable faction, and they were OP as hell, complete with Riptide Suits despite the combat being usually infantry-scale.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Witch Hunters. The German inspired empire is cool. The artillery and blackpowder stuff thrown into the typical fantasy setting + all the lore about the creation of the empire and greenskins is quite interesting.
nigga, notice this thing flying around his head. at least post proper setting pics...

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
nigga, notice this thing flying around his head. at least post proper setting pics...
It's Victor. Attention span of a goldfish is to be expected.

See above: he finally figured out Emps is the most powerful human psyker, so now wants to worship Him, not Chaos. But it took PAGES.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I think the Emperor already has a strong presence within the Warp, due in no small part to the worship and veneration he receives from humanity.
When Mortarion killed Roboute, the Emperor intervened and resurrected him, burning Nurgle's garden and seriously wounding him!!! Yeah, the Emperor is not the kind of guy you want to piss off.

Later edit: It's from the "Godblight" novel.

Reinhardt

Arcane
btw looked party members. why all human girls except albino mutant navigator are some sort of black and brown mystery meat?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
notice this thing flying around his head. at least post proper setting pics...

I post in codex while alt tabbing in games(and some times work). Some times mistakes happens as most of my attention is not here.

finally figured out Emps is the most powerful human psyker, so now wants to worship Him, not Chaos. But it took PAGES.

Wrong. I din't wanted to go chaos due it. I wanted cuz I imagine that owlcat will make the ""evil"" run far better as they did in wotr. Lich companions where great. My chaotic evil run was good. Now, chaotic good was so boring and the companions so boring. I will probably make many runs in this game. One will be chaos. But probably not my first.

Also always knew about him being a psyker.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

I wish the Leagues were grimdark hyper-capitalists ... the main body of the League just ruthlessly exploits the galaxy for monetary gain. Give em giant machines that frak entire planets. Let them have gucci weapons from the dark age of technology.
This is actually what the LoV are like. To them an industrial planet built by another race is a resource ready to be exploited, whether through violence or diplomacy. Some Leagues prefer to use violence more than others.

Peachcurl

Arcane
Warhammer fantasy is indistinguishable from some other random fantasy setting. Doesn't mean it's bad. Just much more generic.
You've got it backwards. The random fantasy settings are indistinguishable from Warhammer fantasy.

Warhammer isn't unoriginal because it did it when it was still original.
~3 decades after LotR
~1 decade after forgotten realms

meh.

zapotec

Liturgist
The current warhammer fantasy setting started with the releases of the various army books for the 4th edition the tabletop game and culminated with the 2nd edition of the RPG (between 1996-2005).

The old 1st edition just laid down the foundation and it was a bit different with magic being a bit more common (All playable races, Dwarves included, could join the colleges of magic for example), Bretonnia was a super corrupted place, Lizard Men lived in the Old World along with Troglodytes (the proto-kroxigor), Half-Orcs existed and Norsca people weren't the retarded hurr durr chaos warrior of modern setting but an enemy of Chaos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom